Searching for a Saturn...

Hi. I'm looking into purchasing myself a Saturn, and as I don't know of a store anywhere near me that has one, I'm looking into Ebay, where there are many different Saturns and Saturn bundles, yadda yadda yadda...

Anyway, my question is, which Saturn should I get? I've read a brief overview on the different models at GameFAQs. On Ebay I can find a Skeleton Saturn, a White Saturn, a Hi-Saturn, and a few generic black Saturns (which I assume are American models).

I'm not quite sure which one to get. I hear the Hi-Saturn has MPEG decompression built in, but would other Saturn peripherals be compatible with it? It looks very...proprietary. The White Saturn seems to have a 1.01A Bios (is that right?), and I've got no clue what Bios the American Saturns have. Does that matter? I hear the Skeleton Saturn was the last model released in Japan, but it may not be able to run one or two games.

Can anyone recommend a model? Does it even matter? I want to be able to mod it to run import games (using a mod chip, I assume--I'm new at this), and also to run CDRs, since I would like to learn about Saturn development.

By the way, I'm living in America, so does that mean that Japanese Saturns wouldn't work here anyway? I could really use some suggestions.

depends on the titles you are planing to get. If most of them are import - let's face it most of gems are import :) - get JPN saturn. Also get ARP4-1 cart to play occasional US/UK titles like PDS or Burning Ranger and etc.

since you wanted to mod get white JPN saturn or round button US saturn.

for 32pin/64pin it's more of luck as there isn't an easy way to recognise them without opening...

Japan uses 100 VAC so JPN saturn will work just fine on your 110 VAC.

We use UK 220 VAC appliance on our 240 VAC and most of them are fine... had few occasions where the thing dies rather prematurely...

cheers

Well, I plan on playing a mix of American and Import games, and I want the Saturn to run either no matter what.

I'll worry about the pin thing once I actually get the Saturn...and send it back, if I have to.

I plan on getting that Pro Action Replay thing, yes indeed.

I should get a White Saturn, or a round button US Saturn. Is there something wrong with the oval-button US Saturn (one of the earlier models)?

Originally posted by dj898@May 26, 2004 @ 10:41 AM

because it's bugger to get the mod chip for that old revision mate. :)

cheers
For "bugger" read "nearly impossible".

Back