sega has emulated the sega saturn but won't share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally posted by Tony Skyrunner+Apr 8, 2003 @ 10:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Skyrunner @ Apr 8, 2003 @ 10:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr_Ix@Apr 8, 2003 @ 02:23 PM

With Nights it wont run from the bin created from cdrwin the emu locks up after the produced or created by sega screen, it just gives a blank screen.

Any ideas or is it just that xp is shite?

Regards

Mr_Ix

It doesn't run on Win98 either. Tried to run it directly from the CD and it works fine. [/b][/quote]

try mounting the bin with daemon

Gavionne i see your browsing this post, your tripod link seems to not work for dling the emulator

Originally posted by M3d10n@Apr 8, 2003 @ 05:30 PM

I'm using the Detonator drivers, windows2000/XP version. I recall they being the lastest (41.09), since a while ago I went to Nvidia's website looking for more. The Nvidia control panel says it's 3.11.01.49.

Ah, I'm using a Geforce2MX400, 64MB RAM, w/ TV out, packed by XFX / Pine.

When I installed these drivers, DirectX applications ALWAYS had bilinear filtering on. I noticed that because I work doing stuff in Shockwave3D, and the bilinear filtering would keep going even if I set it to false for some textures. OpenGL runs fine, so I suppose this new GiriGiri is using DirectX.

I also switched back and forth from the 41.09 to the drivers that came with my videocard, so something might've been modified.

I have yet to test it in Win98 (I don't want reboot my 'puter ;_
wink.gif
, but I think it'll run unfiltered there, since the drivers works normally there.

BTW, SonicR screenshots

theres newer detonators at nvidia.com

Ok...

This file is on my ISP webspace....

This is the Giri Giri that runs FAST!! (stupid description I know)

Link Removed

I dunno what shit I could get into for having this file on my webspace... So, grab it now, just in case I get f**ked for having it there
smile.gif

Bling Blong
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

With Nights it wont run from the bin created from cdrwin the emu locks up after the produced or created by sega screen, it just gives a blank screen.

Any ideas or is it just that xp is shite?

Regards

Mr_Ix

After the sega license screen, I usually just keeping hitting all the various buttons and that seems to send it straight to the title screen. I think the problem may be caused by GiriGiri's poor support for mode 2 tracks.

Gavionne i see your browsing this post, your tripod link seems to not work for dling the emulator

That's because I took it down. I'd rather save what little bandwidth I have at tripod for updates to gentoc, etc. Besides, I keep seeing various sites putting it up, so just look around on google or something.

Originally posted by Flakvin@Apr 9, 2003 @ 03:37 PM

Ok...

This file is on my ISP webspace....

This is the Giri Giri that runs FAST!! (stupid description I know)

Link Removed

I dunno what shit I could get into for having this file on my webspace... So, grab it now, just in case I get f**ked for having it there
smile.gif

Bling Blong
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

thanks flakvin! i mirrored it on Link Removed in case you need to take yours down so isp doesnt get mad

great job Garionne (and whoever helped you)
rolleyes.gif

I will be very interested in knowing how you managed to hack this ... how did you find the ".toc" format and the way to convert a cue in toc ?

and what did you modify in launcher and/or emu in order to get any games to run ? don't hesitate to use technical words, i love that
smile.gif

by the way, i have also an "error window" at startup claiming my hardware doesn't support directX but it doesn't seem to affect the emulation (running daytona at 60 fps )

and another error window when I try to launch the emu with -DISK option (i distinguish the word CDROM between the japanese caracters so it should be a problem with this)

I uninstall directx9, reinstall directx8, have the last aspi driver and try both scsi & ide drives but always have this error message .... any idee ?

probably i'm stuck to make iso of my game in order to play but it's definitibvely worst the try
rolleyes.gif

gentoc needs updating?

Well, it's mostly adding features now. For instance, in 1.02(which you can get from my tripod site) you can pass the program a command line switch that'll tell the program to update base.ini automatically without you having the change anything manually. I also added a hack that allows people with mangled images(basically ones with the warning audio track stripped out) to play them in girigiri, as it normally doesn't support them.

For 1.03 I'm extending the update base.ini option to automatically detect the region of the image and update AREA appropriately.

great job Garionne (and whoever helped you)

It was pretty much a solo effort. Of course I did have some help with generating a proper toc.

I will be very interested in knowing how you managed to hack this ... how did you find the ".toc" format and the way to convert a cue in toc ?

I won't go into details as to what I all did to extract the emulator as I'd like sega to be able make money off this, and not have people just pirating their software. Most of the toc information was from a nameless source.

and what did you modify in launcher and/or emu in order to get any games to run ? don't hesitate to use technical words, i love that

Well, I basically ran the launcher/emulator through a debugger to see what I needed to do to get it running on it's own. I then used a tool and with the aid of babelfish I went about trying to understand some of the menu options and obviously translated the menu's, etc. to english. The hardest part was trying to decode the toc format and trying to uncover some of the hidden features in this program. And in all honesty, I still believe there's many more options that haven't been uncovered.

by the way, i have also an "error window" at startup claiming my hardware doesn't support directX but it doesn't seem to affect the emulation (running daytona at 60 fps )

I think this might have possibly been mistranslated. I think it's more that it detected an emulated driver as opposed to a real hardware driver.

and another error window when I try to launch the emu with -DISK option (i distinguish the word CDROM between the japanese caracters so it should be a problem with this)

If you're running winxp there's not much I can suggest. GiriGiri seems to have some bug relating to that.

Aside from that, try putting the game in another cdrom, obviously try a different aspi layer(I myself am using the aspi layer from forceaspi 1.7). Oh, and try messing around with the user.ini file(by default it's located in [your windows directory]\profiles\saturn) and if it isn't already in there, add:

[CD]

DriveLetter=X

Where 'X' is the drive letter of your cdrom.

This is going to make me really unpopular...

There will be no more links to the hacked emulator.

Talk about it if you like and you can pass it around privately, but not on any of the forums.

We don't want any trouble from Sega over this.

Originally posted by Jurai@Apr 9, 2003 @ 08:21 PM

theres newer detonators at nvidia.com

There's NO WAY I'm gonna overwrite my Win2K drivers.

I'm not gonna risk losing the "automatic" bilinear filtering in GiriGiri (even if it sometimes produces texture "border", like in PDS).

:)

I also have the problem with DirectSound , I have SB AWE 64 GOLD!

and ..... the emu does not want to play backup CDs while the real Saturn
wink.gif
plays them without a question!

the emu only plays originals!

well, I guess that it's possible to read that security ring with an ordinary CD-ROM drive after all! maybe it is also possible to burn it ...

Mardulak on your real saturn do you use an action replay cart to bypass country check?

If so remember the emulator doesn't do that so you need to set the region in the base.ini

Originally posted by Lord Mardulak@Apr 10, 2003 @ 03:43 PM

and ..... the emu does not want to play backup CDs while the real Saturn ;) plays them without a question!

the emu only plays originals!

well, I guess that it's possible to read that security ring with an ordinary CD-ROM drive after all! maybe it is also possible to burn it ...

That's bullshit

It played all backups I threw at it. In windows98, at least, since I couldn't get the CD-ROM support to work with Windows2000 (I'll try forceaspi drivers later, but I'm not holding my breath on this).

Also, how could it check for security ring on .BIN images? The emulator itself, in non-hacked form, probably only supports actual CD drives as a debug/developemnt feature, since you aren't supposed to boot CDs with it.

The games played from Sega BB-Club and from Cyberdisk website are downloaded to disk and mounted in a virtual CD-ROM, that comes with the emulator. The emulator itself comes with the games. Gsaturn.exe, glaunhc.exe, and other files, are found in the virtual CD-ROM, along with the game binary, once it's mounted.

just a message to say that gavionne's tips (adding a line in user.ini) worked for me and that i succeeded in loading some cd backup ... but some of them seems not to be recognized at all and I end up in bios menu ... certainly bad copies or bad isos ... the few original I own all works for me
rolleyes.gif

cool Gavionne
smile.gif

good to see that you are still updating gentoc

are there anymore hidden menus in girigiri?

just a message to say that gavionne's tips (adding a line in user.ini) worked for me and that i succeeded in loading some cd backup ... but some of them seems not to be recognized at all and I end up in bios menu ... certainly bad copies or bad isos ... the few original I own all works for me

Let me take a wild stab here... Do the games that don't work only have 1 track? GiriGiri has a nice feature(or bug, take your pick) where it won't recognize games that have the warning track stripped out. All saturn discs are supposed to have at least 1 audio track. gentoc 1.02 has a work around for it, but obviously if you're trying to play straight from the disc it won't help.

are there anymore hidden menus in girigiri?

There's one other one that appears it may do something, but I have no idea at this point what it exactly does. It's basically a check box menu item. Obviously seems to toggle something.

yes- Gavionne is absolutely right!!! - I've added an audio track to that backup (on a new cd) and the emu runs it fine!!! sorry for those stupid conclusions about the security ring!
blush.gif

Errr, so it it ok to ask questions about running that emu here? Because I have a few problems with it.

Ah, setting the drive letter in USER.INI worked nicely on Windows2000! Now I can start mass production of screenshots with bilinear filtering.

Now I just made a shortcut for it that uses the -DISK parameter, and running it bacame a piece of cake.

http://www.station-zero.com/medion/screens...irigiri/nights/

Holy shit! It runs PERFECT!

When using the actual CD drive, the Saturn didn't recognize some of my games. It ran Elan Doree, then refused to run any other CD games afterwards. It reacted as if they weren't Saturn CDs (identical to the way a unmodded Saturn reacts to pirated games).

I then stopped using the cheap Sony CDROM and switched the drive letter in USER.INI to use my LG DVD+CDRW combo instead. It ran fine then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back