SEGA Saturn 25th Anniversary Game Competition

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
To celebrate the 25th birthday of the SEGA Saturn, I am holding an extended game competition.

The competition will start on August 15th, 2019, when the winner of the poll will be chosen as the theme of the competition. Final disc images should be uploaded and/or linked to this thread by November 15th, 2019 January 1st, 2020 (TIME EXTENDED.)

Original Game Category:

The winner of the competition will be decided by poll over a week of play testing by the community and announced on November 22nd, 2019 (the Saturn's birthday.) Prizes will be awarded as below:
  1. $25
  2. $10
  3. $5
  4. Emerald Nova will spend at least a few hours making art assets for your game, within his ability.

Hacks, Patches, and Translations Category:

Created for projects that take other completed games and modify them with additional features or changes to transform them, or at least make them available for a wider audience. Winner will be decided by a separate poll from the Original Game Category and will be competing for the eternal admiration of the Sega Xtreme community.

Theme:

The theme voted on is High Fantasy & Magic!

Voting:

All entries are in, please play the games yourself and place your vote for the winner.

Original Game Category:

Hacks, Patches, and Translations Category:

Last edited:
[reponse]
not spam just bump

also
gonna be difficult
.. mostly because lack of how do

[reponse]
not spam just bump

also
gonna be difficult
.. mostly because lack of how do

Not sure what you mean by lack of how do. Jo Engine provides enough tools and examples to get started in 2D. 3D is obviously harder but the publicly available code from my project and XL2's releases is technically enough to make a 3D game if someone were so inclined (not exactly recommended though.)

I'm interested on this. I'm beginning my tests with joEngine and I would like participate.

I'll be on the lookout for new news.

Not sure what you mean by lack of how do. Jo Engine provides enough tools and examples to get started in 2D. 3D is obviously harder but the publicly available code from my project and XL2's releases is technically enough to make a 3D game if someone were so inclined (not exactly recommended though.)

That part I can do, and people can get help with.
All the game logic is what's less clear. But that's life with any game, any platform! At least with me.

I've been wanting an excuse to start learning how to use the Jo Engine and develop for the Saturn. Count me in!

I vote for aliens as the theme.

Do we actually have to have a theme? I think that might just limit what people feel like creating and then might keep participation down. I'd say just let people make what they want but then have a few different categories for winning such as:
  • Most Technically Impressive (maybe have separate ones for 2D and 3D)
  • Most Fun to play
  • Most Polished
  • Best use of Multimedia (Sound, FMV, etc.)
  • Best use of Add-on hardware (RAM carts, etc.)
  • Best Utility (In case people want to make non-game software)
You wouldn't have to have all of them but it's some ideas. You could also have some funny ones like:
  • Most likely to brick your Saturn
  • Most likely to cause Nightmares
You could even have a category for people who don't feel confident making their own game from scratch but instead would prefer to hack an existing game.

^ probably more appropriate. Typical "game jams" are themed on mechanics, more rarely on creative theme.
Saturn dev is hard enough so I dont think we should really need either.

But what do I know? Without a theme, what's there to do but just make something? // Which is the point.

Well, the theme is pretty much entirely optional and just a suggestion. At this point, it's mostly a point of inspiration to get started with and potential sharing of art assets between competitors if it comes to that.

Well, the theme is pretty much entirely optional and just a suggestion. At this point, it's mostly a point of inspiration to get started with and potential sharing of art assets between competitors if it comes to that.

Asset sharing.
Good point.

As per the recent stream, new rule: You have to submit .iso and .cue files so I can play on mednafen for the finalized entry stream where I show off all the contestants. Also, please write some controller instructions so people know what buttons do what.

To stem my disappointment for the Satiator delay, and also because pretty much everyone who entered responded positively to the idea of having more time (including myself,) I am extending the deadline to January 1st. That's an extra month and a half to polish what you got. Presumably, by then the Satiator will also be in my possession and ready showcase demo games.

Edit: I pushed Twelve Snakes 3.0.0 to github: slinga-homebrew/Twelve-Snakes. It includes:
- game modes
- fixes to the score display
- hud that display score information around the game field

15 years in the making, presenting Twelve Snakes 2.0.4:

- Changed resolution to support wide screen
-- Use the zoom feature (not 16:9) in your television
-- The top text and the bottom empty space will be cut off but the game area will take up the entire TV
-- Aspect ratio looks correct
- Ported to Jo Engine
- Various bug fixes and compiler warning fixes

Let me know if you have any issues.

ssmtf.png
title.png
multiplayer.png
snake.png

Attachments

• twelvesnakes_2.0.4.zip
    77.1 KB · Views: 369
Last edited: