SEGA Saturn 27th Anniversary Game Competition - Discussion Thread

Played through the first entry, The Lighthouse of São Bento do Oeste by @sansigolo . It's a nice narrative-focused / adventure investigation game, with the presentation reminiscent of visual novels.

What I find interesting is that albeit simple in graphics, the narrative is well done to get you hooked...and even gets you thinking about hardware progress and the neverending cycle of obsolescence game consoles go through, as we can have games made today who're still just as good on old hardware.

The game is linear, but it's not a bad thing as you also have some replay value - during some scenes, you may choose different options that may lead to different outcomes in the narrative. And since the game is short, I feel this is a positive point.

Overall, a well made game that shows the Saturn is still kicking.

@JBeretta I tried to play Zygo with the Satiator, and it complained about 2 of the music tracks :
  • Track 1 because it's sampled at 48 kHz instead of 44.1.
  • Track 4 because the header is invalid.
Exporting both tracks to 44.1 kHz wav with Audacity solved the issue.

@JBeretta I tried to play Zygo with the Satiator, and it complained about 2 of the music tracks :
  • Track 1 because it's sampled at 48 kHz instead of 44.1.
  • Track 4 because the header is invalid.
Exporting both tracks to 44.1 kHz wav with Audacity solved the issue.
ok, thanks, i've converted the tracks and re attached the file

ok, thanks, i've converted the tracks and re attached the file
The 2 updated tracks are now 8-bit PCM instead of 16-bit PCM, so still not good for Satiator (red book CD-DA tracks are stereo signed 16-bit PCM at 44.1 kHz).

The 2 updated tracks are now 8-bit PCM instead of 16-bit PCM, so still not good for Satiator (red book CD-DA tracks are stereo signed 16-bit PCM at 44.1 kHz).
ahh ok, i wasn't sure which setting to use in audacity, seem to have a lot of options for .wav when exporting! also, didn't realise logic was set to 48khz! i've re-attached, hopefully it will work now!

The best time of the year has come:

Congratulations to all the participants. It is really impressive to see so many personal projects running on Saturn, it is a strange feeling to sit on the sofa, plug in your Saturn and try all these new projects and ideas. Every year for 3 years, I feel how my youngest self is reborn on this day and we are already in 2022!
I will enjoy each of them and I hope that the road to get here has not been too painful or stressful for all of you. As always, all my admiration and respect for all participants, very important this year the Utilities category, with incredible tools to make life easier for users with this system and expand the options in various ways.

My admiration for the people and translation teams, collaborators, thank you very much for continuing to expand the prohibited catalog, I cannot imagine the time spent on a task like this, I suppose as much as the one that will give us all hours of entertainment.

Lastly, there is no better news than seeing the contest became a place
for veteran devs and newcomers, no matter how good or not you know Saturn, the main reason for this is to have fun coding for it I guess, and no matter what reason to jump in. , nostalgia, challenge or just curiosity.
Congratulations again and happy new year.

In response to some posts on the Segaxtreme Discord regarding SaveRepack utility; the custom Save Data Manager ISO that it generates is, in fact, compatible with Rhea/Phoebe. Simply transfer sdm_repack.iso into a correctly-named folder on your Rhea/Phoebe SD card, update your Rmenu(Kai) image via RMENU.EXE, and you're ready to import save data to your Saturn :)

Last edited:
Back