Sega's "explosive" E3 announcement

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Apr 30, 2004 @ 09:39 PM

Preposterous!

NO! The news is actually a new add-on for the dreamcast called 256x. It'll have 3 games and sell 50 units. They've planned it out already so there's no surprises this time.

That would be cool :banana

Haha, NOT. Sega wouldn't even consider doing business with a company like Infinium.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/showthr...1601#post711601

check my initial post on the first page and then this follow up. would be uncanny if true.

"Forget what you heard about Sega reentering the console business. Forget about Shenmue 3. I work there. This is what's happening. Listen closely:

The announcement on May 12th at 10:00am PST will send shockwaves throughout the industry and will be an unprecedented first in the gaming market. Sega intends to form an alliance with a major console maker and co-develop the next generation console with them. In turn, all Sega games will be exclusive to that console and the Sega brand will be affixed to the front of the console much like a "Dolby Digital" logo. Yes, Sega is becoming a brand identification.

So no Dreamcast 2, No Alex Kidd Gamecube, No BS.

Cheers.

SegaInformant"

You know, there were all kinds of rumours before about Sega and MS teaming up. They DO need some recognition after all. Co-developing the next-gen console with MS really doesn't seem that proposterious at all.....

all sega ever needed to make a console a success was money (the scribes sega history taught me that). and ms has that. i can only see this as being good. thing is if it IS with ms than that pretty much screws the xbox name theyve tried to have recognized. than again that wasnt doing them many favors. put a japanese name on an american made system and see how it sells in japan. quite interesting.

Originally posted by Dyne@May 1, 2004 @ 01:08 AM

The announcement on May 12th at 10:00am PST will send shockwaves throughout the industry and will be an unprecedented first in the gaming market. Sega intends to form an alliance with a major console maker and co-develop the next generation console with them. In turn, all Sega games will be exclusive to that console and the Sega brand will be affixed to the front of the console much like a "Dolby Digital" logo. Yes, Sega is becoming a brand identification.

I've argued this point many times. I support this idea. If someone with some money, like MS, were to put Sega's name on their next console... man, that would be HUGE. And I do think it's a good idea. I don't own any current generation consoles because, for one reason, no one console has more games I want than another. If Sega made games for one console, I'm thinking my choice would be pretty clear. It would also probably give Sega the ability to be more creative and risky than they have been in recent years. Games like Shenmue III might have a better chance to see the light of day.

not matt cassimasima from ign cube is saying theres a bit announcement involving Nintendo as well. hmmmm......SEGA and Nintendo co-developing a next gen system. i wouldve always liked to have seen that. the two old gard taking on the two relatively new gard.

Co-developing a next gen system with sega will kill whatever company they work with.

"Dual processors!"

One thing that did pop into my head was both MS and Nintendo teaming with Sega for their "certification" but "leaving behind" Sony. I think that would be funny

If it's something we can't guess I suppose it won't be can new console (but it would be a great news) , it could be a sequel of a well know old SEGA game but I would be a bit disapointed. If it's "special" it can be they start to produce toys or produce a movie based on a game or anything else ... Well, we could do a poll about this explosive announcement :)

all this console talk. maybe in us and eu we will have ms xbox next and in japan we will sega xbox next or whatever. remember panasonic 3d0 and goldstar 3do.

just another thought from me. :huh

I think a Nintendo-Sega-Namco-Microsoft Console would be awesome. I don't want to have to buy three consoles in the coming years. :beerchug

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 1, 2004 @ 03:07 PM

Co-developing a next gen system with sega will kill whatever company they work with.

"Dual processors!"

Umm... that's not a problem anymore, apparently. Otherwise you'd have a very dead PS2, now wouldn't you?

Anyway, it would be nice to only have to buy one console to get all the good Sega games, and not three.

All right, I've got it.

It's an all new system... but it has new and improved blast processing and it's debuting with a Ristar sequel.

And on a separate note, a Nintendo/Sega console would be all I needed for the next generation. The two greats on one console, it couldn't be beat!

Originally posted by mountaindud@May 1, 2004 @ 09:18 PM

I think a Nintendo-Sega-Namco-Microsoft Console would be awesome. I don't want to have to buy three consoles in the coming years. :beerchug

Yeah! Get Konami and Capcom in on it and they can all gang up on Sony & EA

But then you still have Square and Rockstar (not that I'm a Rockstar fan)

Somewhat OT, but I hear VIA is launching an x86 handheld. Would be cool to get a bunch of systems emulated on it (the thing isn't even released, and I'm already thinking of such applications, LOL).

A new console would be the most illogical thing Sega could do. Given the massive competition already existing and the move for game systems to become full home-entertainment systems (with the possiblity of integration with other electronics ), Sega's re-entry would be nothing short of suicide.

Thier continue support of other systems and developement of titles for those systems would also contradicts anything that would indicate that they are looking to develop a new console.

If there is any possibility of a "hardware" announcement, then it's in the handheld market. With Nintendo's GBA showing it's age and the COSTLY PSP still in the future, Sega could potentially enjoy some success my creating an afordable and well supported handheld gaming system. You also have to look at the fact that they've had some experience in the form of the GameGear, and are familiar with publishing agreements and running a console-type business. Quite honestly, right now would be the perfect time to do it if ever.

Does sega even still have R&D people for hardware? I would love a new sega console but is it possible? :huh

Back