Sega's "explosive" E3 announcement

Originally posted by Berty@Apr 30, 2004 @ 09:15 PM

Sega and Nintendo Merger?

Sega and Capcom Merger?

Nah, Sammy have decided that they really don't want to deal with the console market and have sold off the non-arcade parts of Sega to Microsoft. :eek:mg:

It had just better not be that there's a home port (or two) of Outrun 2. :lol:

Originally posted by racketboy+Apr 30, 2004 @ 03:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Apr 30, 2004 @ 03:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb@Apr 30, 2004 @ 05:46 AM

Maybe they're going to start manufacturing cars. You'd certainly never guess that, now would you??

Yeah except you just blew it for us.

Dangit, I wanted my Sega car. [/b][/quote]

The cat had sharp claws. He let himself out, I swear.

Well actually in this months RETRO GAMER there is a small section saying something about a budget DreamCast re-realease.I will scan it for you all later.

Alright, I think almost all Sega fans thought 'new system! :drool: ' when they first saw this announcement but I'm having my doubts. The handheld market is already dominated by Nintendo and will only be getting stiffer with the PSP releasing soon enough, so it would be stupid to jump in there. And the home console department... I just can't see Sega getting back into that already. As much as I'd like to see another Sega console in the market, I don't think now is a great time to show up. But all will be revealed in 12 days...

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 29, 2004 @ 07:36 PM

Propeller Arena?????? For Dreamcast???? With free online play??????

Actually Propeller Arena has recently popped up again and will soon be released... but in the same way Half Life was. It still is too bad that a game that was completely finished never saw a full release... especially since online play with voice chat will not be available.

---Ammut

Originally posted by Ammut+Apr 30, 2004 @ 07:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ammut @ Apr 30, 2004 @ 07:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Apr 29, 2004 @ 07:36 PM

Propeller Arena?????? For Dreamcast???? With free online play??????

Actually Propeller Arena has recently popped up again and will soon be released... but in the same way Half Life was. It still is too bad that a game that was completely finished never saw a full release... especially since online play with voice chat will not be available.

---Ammut [/b][/quote]

Yeah I'm *ahem* aware of that.

Still would like an official release. Heck an offical release of Half Life would be nice too, but that's up to Sierra.

a budget DC? Damn, how budget do u want them? haha. Before they got sold out you could pick em up for like 30 bucks a piece. I think the SEGA car idea is the best one. The Sega Sonic could be their hybrid racing machine...take on the viper/vette. That'd be pimp....

The colors would be SOnic Blue, Knuckles Red, etc. haha, that would be great.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Apr 30, 2004 @ 03:29 PM

a budget DC? Damn, how budget do u want them? haha. Before they got sold out you could pick em up for like 30 bucks a piece.

I think the going rate here is $15 at the local EB. $15 for a DC. I should buy ten of them. Or not.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Apr 30, 2004 @ 02:02 AM

I think the going rate here is $15 at the local EB. $15 for a DC. I should buy ten of them. Or not.

In this area, they had shipped all their DCs to one location to be shipped to texas. I ran to that store and got one of them.

Strange, indeed. Although it was worth it. I also got a DC keyboard for $.99. Now if I could find that MadCatz joystick/trackball...

My initial thought with the big announcment was DC support starting up again. Atomiswave ports and such. However, if there's ONE THING I wanna know its...

How would VF4 run on DC? Suzuki said it was possible, before they went to PoS2 for it.

I think it's safe to assume that it's not a game. I mean, E3 is where game companies announce games. Therefore, the only way this would be something really incredible would be if Sega was not a game company, or if it was something extremely surprising.

Hardware is also rather unlikely. Sammy might have some crazy ideas, but we know that they've told Sega to stick to arcades. It's also unlikely that it's new arcade hardware, since Sammy loves its Atomisware.

Part of me is excited as hell, and part of me is kinda scared.

I hope they don't announce a patnership with Nokia and their N-Gage 2. I mean, I like Sega and everything, but I really don't want to buy an N-Gage...

Perhaps an official merger of Sega and Sammy? Or possibly Namco? I know that was rumored for a while. I'm not sure if the Sammy merger would really be called "explosive."

Maybe it's a portable with three screens? :p

Maybe it's a Sonic genetic modification kit which, by using advanced DNA recombination techniques, allows you to turn yourself into a supersonic, oversized blue hedgehog. That would r0xxor.

Please god don't be Microsoft..please god don't be Microsoft....

Seriously though, that sounds like a silly idea. Sega games exclusive to one console? That kind of defeats the purpose of being a third-party publisher. I don't see how they could possibly make more money by only publishing for one console. It also kills the idea of the different dev houses being able to work on the hardware they like.

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@May 1, 2004 @ 01:53 AM

Another version of the story: Sega collaboration

Apparently Sega might collaborate with one of the major three companies to make a new system.

Sega & Nintendo console, please.

kinda sounds fake.

I have to think they are gonna go with whatever makes them the most money

Originally posted by it290@Apr 30, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

That kind of defeats the purpose of being a third-party publisher. I don't see how they could possibly make more money by only publishing for one console.

Maybe they'd also get a share of the profits from the console?

If they're actually putting money into the development of this rumored collaborative console, then they'd get money back from units sold.

And perhaps a company that isn't doing so well at the moment would like the added brand recognition? That could apply to both Nintendo and Microsoft.

The news is probably fake, though, like much of the pre-E3 news that comes out.

Sometimes I hate all of these ambiguous press releases.

Sega and Infinium Labs getting together for the......

release of the PHANTOM..........

HEHE

Preposterous!

NO! The news is actually a new add-on for the dreamcast called 256x. It'll have 3 games and sell 50 units. They've planned it out already so there's no surprises this time.

Back