Settin my comp up w/ Win2k

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Alright, I wanna get rid of Win98SE for obvious reasons. I am moving to Win2k. I want to get rid of all that extra shit they put in windows that I dont need (like IE). How would I go about that? I will prob be networking so i'll need all that stuff... basically I wanna get the best performance out of my machine(it's not that good) but keeping what I need on it. I know this might seem like an elementry question to most but I know jack shit about this stuff so any help would be appreciated......

Another Q, once I get rid of IE, what browser should I use? I kinda like Opera BUT pix take FOREVER to load w/ that for sum reason.....and every time I have used netscape it's been shitty as hell to me.

Thanks all, appreciate it A LOT!

Win98SE is actually a wonderful OS if you install it with 98lite (www.litepc.com), but I can understand why you'd want to set up Win2K. The LitePC website however also has an .inf script called IEradicator (you can guess what its purpose is) that might work for Windows 2000 installations too.

Oh, and don't use Netscape. Use Mozilla.
smile.gif

It is? Hmm, I can't say that I feel abandoned in the slightest just yet.

Mozilla is a complete rewrite of the old Netscape Communicator (4.x) code, and is an open-source project releasing its own binaries (at www.mozilla.org). The newer Netscape 6.x and 7.x is actually just a repackaged Mozilla, with AOL and other crapola added on.

Mozilla itself makes a wonderful browser (+ mail/news client) though, is fast, stable and has great support for most anything while being STANDARDS-COMPLIANT (listen up, IE).

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb 19, 2003 @ 06:20 AM

Mozilla itself makes a wonderful browser (+ mail/news client) though, is fast, stable

You must use a different Mozilla than me, then. Anyhoo, there are also various Mozilla-based projects that get rid of the extra crap to make it more lightweight. If you just want a browser I suggest looking into one of them.

hmmm will have to check that out.......Now I have another Q. I have an HP computer so it came w/ one of those disks that have a bunch of shit on em and load a bunch of useless stuff. Well anyways, I need to get the sound card, cdrw, and dvd drivers off of there cuz I dunno if I can still find them on the net. The sound card is an old 8 mb....A3D or sumthin like that.

Originally posted by antime+Feb 19, 2003 @ 01:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Feb 19, 2003 @ 01:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Taelon@Feb 19, 2003 @ 06:20 AM

Mozilla itself makes a wonderful browser (+ mail/news client) though, is fast, stable

You must use a different Mozilla than me, then. Anyhoo, there are also various Mozilla-based projects that get rid of the extra crap to make it more lightweight. If you just want a browser I suggest looking into one of them. [/b][/quote]

Uh... What other projects "based on" Mozilla would you be talking about? And what "extra crap"?

What are your issues with Mozilla itself anyway? Which version are you using? I'll say it again, it's rock-solid on my computer.

And BJammzz: I would think that you can find the drivers you need simply by browsing your restore disc in Windows Explorer... it might even have an autostart menu with the option to restore drivers only...

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb 19, 2003 @ 08:18 PM

Uh... What other projects "based on" Mozilla would you be talking about?

Phoenix, K-Meleon and others.

And what "extra crap"?

IRC clients, Palm Pilot sync apps, mail and news clients.

What are your issues with Mozilla itself anyway? Which version are you using?

For instance, just last week Mozilla (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130) crashed and ate all my bookmarks. It also has severe problems with pages (and especially pictures) wider than the browser window. There are many other smaller problems as well, plus it's a real resource hog. Don't get me wrong, it's the browser I use the most, but I don't think it's the be-all end-all of browsers. For the record, I've never had IE6 crash on me while Mozilla on the other hand crashes about once a week. Fortunately the consequences are usually less severe.

hmmm I think that might be it google.....hehe I might just get a sound blaster live if I can find one for like 20 bucks......

BJammaz: 1. Look in Device Manager, or 2. Open up yer PC.
smile.gif

antime: Apparently Phoenix is also done by the Mozilla group, but K-Meleon looks very cool.
smile.gif
I had never heard of them, but that's the beauty of open-source at work, truly...

IRC client: I've never heard of one in Mozilla. There is a chat client (ICQ-compatible IIRC) called Chatzilla but it's very beta and must be started by passing an argument to the mozilla .exe. Otherwise, though, it simply stays hidden and disabled.

The Palm Pilot sync stuff is - again, IIRC - optional and can be unchecked during setup of Mozilla.

As for the mail/news client, that's not crap... I consider that essential.
tongue.gif

As for your crashes/problems... it sounds to me like your user profile is damaged/corrupted. You might try deleting the XUL.mfl file. Have you upgraded from a previous version and kept your profile? Sorry to hear about your problems, but my experience is (sorry for being so repetitive here
smile.gif
) that Mozilla is stable and solid. I can't remember the last time I really had a problem - and I use the same build you do.

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb 20, 2003 @ 04:37 AM

IRC client: I've never heard of one in Mozilla. There is a chat client (ICQ-compatible IIRC) called Chatzilla but it's very beta and must be started by passing an argument to the mozilla .exe.

No, ChatZilla is an IRC client, and can be started when I click on the button in the status bar. (But I did previously have Netscape 7 installed, which may have enabled it in the UI.)

As for the mail/news client, that's not crap... I consider that essential.

Not in a browser, but the Mozilla project seems hellbent on being an "Internet suite"-type deal. Still, I don't understand why people whine about IE being bloated and slow and then happily switch to Mozilla which is just as bad. (Oh, and can I just mention how much I hate the Modern theme? I've rarely seen such a performance boost from a simple configuration change as when I switched to the Classic theme and I can't for the life of me understand why they included it, let alone made it the default theme.)

As for your crashes/problems... it sounds to me like your user profile is damaged/corrupted.

No, the browser just has bugs. Nothing unexpected about that, and I know my browsing habits aren't totally ordinary so I'm a bit more likely to run into them.

antime: well, BJammzz seems to like Mozilla.
smile.gif

You were right about one thing, Chatzilla IS an IRC client (I remembered wrong).

I can't say that IE was ever bloated or slow, it certainly is fast and loads quickly, but it has DIFFERENT issues. So I don't know what people's ultimate reason for switching to Mozilla would be, other than MS-hating. *shrug*

Neither did I ever claim that Mozilla was bug-free, but I do have to insist that your previously having installed Netscape 7, then switching to Mozilla, is very likely to have messed a few things up (unless you also deleted your Netscape 7 profile and created a new one for Mozilla).

I find the Classic and Modern theme to have similar impact on the browser's speed. Hmm. And all this on an old AMD K6-3 400MHz. Surely you run a faster computer than me?
smile.gif

Anyway - we seem to be stuck arguing about details that are ultimatively up to each Mozilla user, maybe we should just leave things at that.
smile.gif

If you have an Aureal Card, go to www.vortexofsound.com ... However, Bjammz, I highly recommend just buying another card if you plan to do everything EXCEPT gaming. I know this, because I had an Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 (you know, the expensive one).

Essentially, the sound cuts out after 20 minutes (this is true in winXP as well). There's a bunch of registry hacks which you can find at the above mentioned link, but for the life of me I couldn't get the card to work completely (re: games like Half-Life, sometimes Gens). When I used those special full screen equalizers on winamp the whole system would lock up! I simply purchased a 5.1 card, and haven't had any issues since (including winamp).

Also, I highly recommend Netscape 7, which has been streamlined *quite a bit* - you can finally choose everything that you want (or not) to install. Since trying it, I haven't turned back. My girlfriend, who hated netscape 4 through 6, uses only 7 now. I suppose everyone is different - Netscape hasn't crashed on me yet (in fairness, neither has IE 5.0).

As for the extra junk - the same people who made 98lite are making a similar product for XP and 2K. If you're willing to wait, it should be out within the next few months. However, perhaps it's just me, but I haven't felt the issues of bloat on my win2k machine yet. It's been running about a year with no reformats or major modifications, uptimes measured in weeks (I don't think I've turned off the pc in a month, actually). It still boots up in under 30 seconds, even after all this time.

That's a pretty neat boot time. I got my aging AMD K6-3 down to less than a minute for booting Win98SE lite.
smile.gif

I do believe btw that Mozilla also lets you skip the mail/news stuff during install, but I could be wrong... I don't remember from the last time I updated Mozilla...

Back