Shipping an "unlock" cart with a game?

Since manufacturing compatible disks for Saturn isn't possible and that it's been proved that flashing the Action Replay cartridge can disable the security checks, would it be possible to produce a game on CD that would ship with an simple "unlock" cart?

Ignoring the drawbacks (takes up cart slot, no backup memory, no 4mb expansion, etc.) How cheap could a cart like that be made?

There isn't any reason that the cartridge couldn't provide the Saturn with storage space or more RAM. PseudoSaturn should work for booting games on a CD from the cartridge.

Since manufacturing compatible disks for Saturn isn't possible and that it's been proved that flashing the Action Replay cartridge can disable the security checks, would it be possible to produce a game on CD that would ship with an simple "unlock" cart?

Ignoring the drawbacks (takes up cart slot, no backup memory, no 4mb expansion, etc.) How cheap could a cart like that be made?

The cheapest producing cost for cartridge without shell, extra RAM, connectivity, etc is something around $10-15.
It highly depends on many factors, such as :
- If you can populate the boards by yourself, or buy already made cartridges
- The quantity of cartridges you want to produce
- If you already have equipment (soldering iron, tin, misc tools, etc) or not.

Since the average Saturn gamer already own a Modchip/Rhea/Action Replay with Pseudo Saturn/Other, what is the interest of such unlock cart ?

I was just thinking of the non-average Saturn gamer. If someone did release a game with full physical packaging, having a bundled inexpensive unlock cart might be attractive to those who don't have a flash cart and don't want to fork extra for it or flash it.

Just wondering out loud, anyway.

Related but different: Is there a way to ship a game on cart?

I think what OP is asking is, if it would make sense to release a commercial game. In that case, the question about producing carts to bypass security would be ideal.

As an example, for those who already have an AR+ cart can probably send it to someone who does has a mod-chip and flash PseudoSaturn for them.

If all of this catches momentum, there would be a relatively good market to release a commercial game. A first for the Saturn.

Hello,
I believe I can shed some light to this.

As some here know, I'm working on my own game to release but ran into a couple of issues.
First would be the use of SGL/SBL. If you wrote/use an alternative tools then you can skip to the second paragraph.

From the get go you should know underwhatever reasons, these are protected software and SEGA WILL persue legal actions should you move ahead without permission especially when there's money involved. Infact, CD pressing plants will require an authorization documents proving you hold a license as they will also be liable in case of a legal dispute. I did some research and contacted SEGA, after a long time of back and forth with legal and licensing department I was granted a permission to use the software.

Second would be the Trademark use (Saturn Logos & font) for packaging or sale/profit distribution. I'm still waiting for my authorization as it was excluded for whatever reasons and sadly out of the scope of my original pitch. Right now and after 2 years, I'm still trying to get it, I'm not so sure after I lost my contact there and the recent internal staff shakeup.

All in all, if you still insist on doing this "under the radar" and want to move on then do so at your own risk because it's there. Please keep in mind I'm not affiliated with SEGA and in no way this is a legal advice. I'm just sharing my experience here.

television2000, would you kindly post the e-mails and SEGA's response with names blacked out? Do you have more information about your game?

What issues do they have if you use the SGL/SBL considering that the software is no longer in use by SEGA?

I have to politely decline and apologize mrkotfw. I'm under multiple NDA's and this would be a breach of contract.
I should also point that I'm also not a EU or a USA citizen and SEGA has no legal juristiction in where I live but I want to be able to do this the right way and made contact with them. Give it a try yourself and see.

No problem at all.

I'm just very, very surprised how much legal work is required to make use of deprecated libraries.

Is talking about your game possible? Is there a thread?

I'm curious what they have to say. What is the e-mail to contact SEGA's legal department?

Not to derail the thread OP.

Mrkotfw, right now I'm at a crossroads. I won't release this game with the idea of a looming legal controversy surrounding it. This would just tarnish my team's name and our game brand. As painful and saddening as it is, SEGA won't provide any support you would deem helpful. After all it's their software and they're free to do with as they please, you're the one who's asking for it. I was fortunate to get whatever I was able to but it dried out at the most final part for me (permission to use trademarks in retail material).

Go to their website and contact. Myself I sent a personalized letter to SOE,SOJ and SOA.
All with varying responses...

However after a little more while I might post a devlog later.

Thanks for your input. I won't derail the thread and harass you any further :)

Please do. If you ever use IRC, be sure to visit us at #yabause (EFNet).

Related but different: Is there a way to ship a game on cart?

Yeah, it's possible. Basic configuration is 1MB flash ROM for executable/data without CD audio track support.
And if you need more resources, it's up to you to develop and add extra features on cartridges :)

Rockin-B made a custom boot cart for Police Officer Smith game. It was many years ago, and now the possibilities to develop/produce custom cartridges have evolved in a very good way.

Back