Sky Rocketing Gas Prices

Yah, I'm not sure how well the argument, "Well, it's more expensive everywhere else" really holds up much anymore... Over in Europe it's more expensive because of taxes... At least they're paying for something besides gas when they pay out the ass. Me, I'm just paying for gas(some taxes, but not a lot).

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Sat, 2005-09-03 @ 09:43 PM

Yah, I'm not sure how well the argument, "Well, it's more expensive everywhere else" really holds up much anymore... Over in Europe it's more expensive because of taxes... At least they're paying for something besides gas when they pay out the ass. Me, I'm just paying for gas(some taxes, but not a lot).

[post=139146]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not arguing about the price as much as I am the increase of the price.

Sure, some country may be paying 4 dollars a gallon, but they've been paying that for years now. When you're used to paying 1.75 and then it jumps to 3.50-4 dollars, it's not quite the same 4 dollars as the country that is used to it. It owuld be like the 4 dollars jumping to 8 in the other country.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Sun, 2005-09-04 @ 01:05 PM

Sure, some country may be paying 4 dollars a gallon, but they've been paying that for years now. When you're used to paying 1.75 and then it jumps to 3.50-4 dollars, it's not quite the same 4 dollars as the country that is used to it. It owuld be like the 4 dollars jumping to 8 in the other country.

[post=139148]Quoted post[/post]​

It's still funny watching you guys get worked up about it though. :D

gah, I wish they made a decent looking ecomy car. Like the Prius and such, some of the ugliest cars I have ever seen! yuck! lol. Also, they wanna charge more for those than the gas guzzlers.

A part of me is hoping it jumps to 5+dollars a gallon just so it'll make that technology come out..

A Corolla and Civic is a decent compromise.

I love my Corolla.

I'm suprised nobody has blamed the tree-huggers that don't let us drill for more oil and/or build refineries.

Originally posted by mal@Sun, 2005-09-04 @ 03:38 AM

It's still funny watching you guys get worked up about it though. :D

[post=139156]Quoted post[/post]​

And it would be funny to watch you get worked up over someone breaking into your house and stealing everything you have.

And truth be told, some of the new hybrid models look sweet. Toyota even has a hybrid SUV coming out (though it doesn't offer much of an improvement in gas mileage compared to a 6 cylinder Chevy Blazer). I say, two more years and hybrids will be selling 50-50 to regular gas cars, and six or eight years down the road they'll be the standard.

And we get so worked up about the gas prices... My last job (it was a temp job, but it lasted 4 months) had me spending $80 to $100 a week on gas, at less then $2 a gallon. That job was only paying me $234 a week after taxes. I'm actualy making more money right now on unemployment without having to pay for so much gas. This is why I'm so determined to find a job close to home now, even if the pay's for shit. On average, we spend more on gas every month than we do for any of our other bills (outside of maybe house payments, but that's another rant). Electric bill? $280. Water bill? $40. Cable bill? $120 (with internet). Phone? $35. Gasoline? $400 to $500 or so.

Let me get this straight...

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 litres (I'll round to 3.75 for simple people like me)

Now 1 gallon = approx USD$3.50 so you're paying $3.50 per 3.75 litres, or 93 cents per litre.

That comes to AUD$1.21 per litre which is about what I pay.

That must be really hard on you guys. :sarcasm:

BTW While I may drive a shitty little Corolla, but I'm only paying at most USD$190 (AUD$250) per month for petrol.

Originally posted by mal@Sun, 2005-09-04 @ 08:21 PM

Let me get this straight...

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 litres (I'll round to 3.75 for simple people like me)

Now 1 gallon = approx USD$3.50 so you're paying $3.50 per 3.75 litres, or 93 cents per litre.

That comes to AUD$1.21 per litre which is about what I pay.

That must be really hard on you guys. :sarcasm:

[post=139184]Quoted post[/post]​

You're missing the issue you idiot. It's not the price, it's the suddent jump in price combined with the fact that America is a highly car-reliant society. If you were regularly driving 50-100 miles per day, and your gas jumped to about AUD$2.75 then you'd be in a crunch as well.

Especially if you're making next to no money or a student, who the gas crunch affects the most.

Get your head out of your ass and come back to reality. Your argument isn't an argument, it's blind American bashing.

Originally posted by racketboy@Sun, 2005-09-04 @ 12:37 PM

A Corolla and Civic is a decent compromise.

I love my Corolla.

I'm suprised nobody has blamed the tree-huggers that don't let us drill for more oil and/or build refineries.

[post=139161]Quoted post[/post]​

That's only a temporary solution, the real way to fix a problem like this is by slowly phasing out our use of non-renewable resources as a source of fuel, among other things...

So yah, we could drill for more oil and maybe offset the problem for a few years, but it'll still be there waiting for us when we use it all up, maybe a viable solution if those years are really spent trying to solve the larger issue rather than ignoring it.

well, yeah, but I'm just talking a quicker short-term solution.

As I mentioned on the first page, I support looking for alternate fuels

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Mon, 2005-09-05 @ 12:28 PM

... it's blind American bashing.

Dear Lord! Won't somebody think of the blind Americans!?!

Lighten up Skank.

Originally posted by Curtis@Mon, 2005-09-05 @ 07:32 AM

Dear Lord! Won't somebody think of the blind Americans!?!

Lighten up Skank.

[post=139221]Quoted post[/post]​

You have no idea how frustrating it is to see a few idiotic people slamming america all the time when they have no idea what really goes on over here. Not every american supports the president, in fact, a large majority dislike him now.

Yet, some people just take up the trends and take the oppurtunity to laugh at everything bad that happens to america, which raises pro-american sentiment in home and leads to more anti-foreign thoughts.

I mean, for christ sakes, attack our foreign policies and war mongering president, don't laugh at the things that make our people unjustly suffer. I mean, most of the people suffering are people that don't even support our crackpot of a president anyway. If you wanna swing people like them, and me, the other way, keep jabbing at american suffering, saying it's funny or whatever, then we probably wouldn't have as much of a problem when Jeb Bush gets elected president and shoves a nuke down your ass-backwards country.

The self pity is really getting boring. :sleep:

You've had good and now you don't. My heart bleeds.

I drive around 200-300 miles per day because of my job. Raised my transportation rates from $10 to $15 on top of my $75/h rates. :cheers

I don't drive at all. I can get around just fine by walking, or by biking. I agree with mal a bit.

However, I also agree with Skank on most of what he's saying. (Is hell freezing over? :blink:)

I haven't really been paying much attention, but my friend says that most of our ports that bring in our oil have been destroyed due to the hurricane. That true?

Back