Sky Rocketing Gas Prices

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Mon, 2005-09-05 @ 03:26 PM

I don't drive at all. I can get around just fine by walking, or by biking. I agree with mal a bit.

However, I also agree with Skank on most of what he's saying. (Is hell freezing over? :blink:)

I haven't really been paying much attention, but my friend says that most of our ports that bring in our oil have been destroyed due to the hurricane. That true?

[post=139238]Quoted post[/post]​

They weren't destroyed, and they only supplied about 25% of the US's oil, but I think a good number of them are already back online (save oil before lives, remember?).

<aside>

Well, suit yourself Skank. I know many Americans don't support Bush, his Government or his policies, but hey - he was voted in twice, so people like you certainly appear to be in the minority.

</aside>

Besides, since this is not a problem that will be solved by either laughter or ranting I don't see that it makes much difference. Oil prices are rising and I know I can't stop that - what I can do is change my lifestyle to minimise the impact expensive fuel has on me. If that's a smaller car, so be it. I'm fortunate in that I could probably ride to work in less than half an hour, so that's an option too. Public transport, although inconvenient, is also an option to me. Horses...meh.

Originally posted by Curtis

I know many Americans don't support Bush, his Government or his policies, but hey - he was voted in twice, so people like you certainly appear to be in the minority.
I don't want to get off on too much of a tangent here, but Bush was elected in 2000 with a popular-electoral split, and in 2004 he only won by about a 2% margin. His approval rating has gone down substantially since then, so to say that people who don't want him in the Oval Office are certainly in the minority is a bit of a stretch. It's a bit of a moot point anyhow what people think of Bush in particular though; unless he manages to get the 22nd Amendment repealed, the Republicans will have to pick someone else for 2008.

Bush isn't even really the main responsible party here, which is why it's going off on a tangent (a bit). If anyone in the federal administration should be scrutinized about the federal response specifically it's probably Michael Brown (Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency) and Michael Chertoff (Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, of which FEMA is a subordinate).

you complain about that? try $7.10 a gallon over here, with expected prices of 8$ a gallon by end of next week.

4.00 a gallon? here its 5.00 and more. Although now they are about that here in canada. Dunno how comuting people (university) would travel in there own vehicle. And with the new high prices, of course, everything that gets shipped on a vehicle will go up in price, and this is practicly everything and anything we buy.

Back