s'more Sony news....

s'more Sony news....

I have no great love for Sony, but I'll be happy if they manage to break Nintendo's monopoly on the handheld market. Competition is a good thing.

s'more Sony news....

i wanan see a competition.....and u have to wonder what nintendo is doing to compete w/ this....competition will be a VERY good thing. I doubt I'll buy one though......there are hardly and ps1/ps2 games I even wanna play....like 10 max. Ya, they have lots of games...but how many must-haves do the have exclusive to the systems? not many..

s'more Sony news....

yeah I can't wait to see what Nintendo's answer is to this.

Although if it's gonna play music and movies, I don't want a propritary disk like the PSP. I want to play my existing media.

s'more Sony news....

If PSP will come with simple PDA functions (most importantly contact list) and a DRMed sync to PC, it will be my next primary system.

Let's face it. I own about 10 consoles, but 99% of time they sit in boxes in storage space. Why? Life. And size. Try to pick up 32X or Sega CD title for play - it will take you 10 minutes to put things together and hook up everything. I don't do it very often...

GBA? Yes, baby! Takes 15 seconds to start and another 5 seconds to put it back on the shelf, even with unfortunate things like head phone converter.

Mobile RPG gaming is the future, and PSP looks like a good concept.

It will blow GBA SP away like PS1 did SNES. But Nintendo will (hopefully) come up with something better and modern. Hopefully not bright yellow or pink.

SEGA folks are the best :) They make money on software, and benefit on success of all systems. I think this is a very good approach, and sooner or later M$ and $ony will force big N into software only business. And you know what? I think it's a good thing.

s'more Sony news....

Heh... Or you can do what I do: Grab a few Power Strips, and hook every console you got up to one TV! :D :p :thumbs-up:

mal... Yes, I am the Anti-Fanboy. And proud of it! :cheers :smash :devil :thumbs-up:

Unless, they're a Sega fanboy. :bow

s'more Sony news....

dhau...I dont agree that M$ and sony forcing nintendo into software only is a good thing...that would be HORRABLE. There wouldn't be a decent box to play games on anymore :'(. Let's face it....Sega and Nintendo are the ppl who know how to make systems, sony knows how to market good, and M$ just has lots of money, so of course their syustems are gunan be a lil' more advanced. I HIGHLY doubt the big N will get forced into software only....hjave u looked at GCN sales these last few weeks? best EVER! and it's only gunna go up from here w/ the new Zelda bundle commin out (check NX, pretty sure they have it posted).

Basically all I am saying is that Nintendo going all software is a bad idea for the whole console industry and that if it happens...it's not gunan be for a LONG time. Sony makes good electronics (their TVs....I LOVE) but shitty software/consoles. That said...unless sony does sumthing great in the next console race or the big N fuks up even worse sony is gunna loose some footing, XBox will become prob. the biggest thing stateside and the big N and PS2 will of course dominate the asians. But who knows? lets wait and see....

s'more Sony news....

Reality check. Nintendo is doing really badly now. They have just posted their first yearly loss since like 1960 something. Xbox is not going anywhere Microsoft has more than enough money to keep it in the marketplace. Sony is also very entranched now. Heck Xbox is starting to pick up the pace in Japan while GC stays pretty much even. In europe GC is all but dead and in North America it's not doing so hot either. Yes they sold more consoles but at a considerably higher loss per system since the price drop. The boost that did will die off in a couple months (some people are probably seeing this as the consoles last days, kinda like what happened with DC). Nintendo is not pushing any software out the door. And the only stuff that sells is their own, which doesn't make 3rd parties very happy. Just take a look at any gaming mag and you will see that a good majority of the "big name" games out there are being made for PS2 and Xbox only. Hardly ever do you see one for GC as well. Personally to me it looks like Nintendo is doing the same thing Sega did with DC. Not enough mass market games to attract the non-hardcore public. Really the only thing keeping Nintendo as good as they are is the GBA. But it's starting to loose a bit of steam since it has in recent times gotten a bit of a "snes port" look to it.

As far as hardware I have to hand it to Microsoft for designing one of the best consoles ever. The Xbox is the kind of console that all makers should be creating. It's powerful, full of GOOD features and MS actually did their reserach and listened to customers (as with the controller). Heck I'd say the Xbox is the best console (hardware wise) if only it had a proper VGA output on it. Yes the design might not be to everyones liking but then again I'm not too fond of the design of the GC, PS2 and yes even Saturn.

Also about Sony's new portable. I DON'T WANT NO FUCKING PDA CRAP IN IT. Look at what Nokia did with the Ngage. I want just a console (yes an mp3 player would be nice and easy to do with memory stick).

s'more Sony news....

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 5, 2003 @ 11:55 PM

Reality check. Nintendo is doing really badly now. They have just posted their first yearly loss since like 1960 something. Xbox is not going anywhere Microsoft has more than enough money to keep it in the marketplace. Sony is also very entranched now. Heck Xbox is starting to pick up the pace in Japan while GC stays pretty much even. In europe GC is all but dead and in North America it's not doing so hot either. Yes they sold more consoles but at a considerably higher loss per system since the price drop. The boost that did will die off in a couple months (some people are probably seeing this as the consoles last days, kinda like what happened with DC). Nintendo is not pushing any software out the door. And the only stuff that sells is their own, which doesn't make 3rd parties very happy. Just take a look at any gaming mag and you will see that a good majority of the "big name" games out there are being made for PS2 and Xbox only. Hardly ever do you see one for GC as well. Personally to me it looks like Nintendo is doing the same thing Sega did with DC. Not enough mass market games to attract the non-hardcore public. Really the only thing keeping Nintendo as good as they are is the GBA. But it's starting to loose a bit of steam since it has in recent times gotten a bit of a "snes port" look to it.

As far as hardware I have to hand it to Microsoft for designing one of the best consoles ever. The Xbox is the kind of console that all makers should be creating. It's powerful, full of GOOD features and MS actually did their reserach and listened to customers (as with the controller). Heck I'd say the Xbox is the best console (hardware wise) if only it had a proper VGA output on it. Yes the design might not be to everyones liking but then again I'm not too fond of the design of the GC, PS2 and yes even Saturn.

Also about Sony's new portable. I DON'T WANT NO FUCKING PDA CRAP IN IT. Look at what Nokia did with the Ngage. I want just a console (yes an mp3 player would be nice and easy to do with memory stick).

couple comments...

Nintendo still makes a profit on each console sold, correct?

also, about XBox being the best-design console, that is true in most respects other than consoles traditionally being small and simple in design -- especially today now that techonolody allows for smaller manufacturing. The XBox really needs to come down in size and weight.

s'more Sony news....

I don't even like playing my other consoles much anymore (other than xbox). I can copy my xbox games to it's hard drive, so I don't have to dig around in my room for the discs. And I don't have have to keep track of memory cards. It greatly streamlines what is required before I can play a video game.

s'more Sony news....

I do believe they are still makin a profit sellin the consoles. From what I remember reading they are insanely cheap to make compared to toher consoles. Also, as of late the GCN has had a bunch of 3rd parties sign on to make games cuz of the recent jump in sales. Basically yes, GCN lost this race, but they made more headway then I think ppl thought.

Ya, the xbox is nice...basically because of the HDD. Without the HDD and it's cool online support (voice chat, downloadable content, etc.) it's rlly nuffin special. I think all the next gen consoles will come w/ hdds (even a nintendo console, imagine that) and will be online ready. as for the big N on that one, I dunno if they will embrace online capabilities, and if they do they will prob. do it a different way then the other companies.

And no liking the GCN design? the thing has balls and is small/quiet/doesn't overheat/etc. ya the xbox is beefy...but is it really all that welll designed? the controller is yes but the rest of the console is nuffin special. the controller is like an updated DC controller....now if they can make the s-type a lil more comfortable then it would really rock.

s'more Sony news....

I've yet to see a handheld with as good as a library.

Only because of Nintendo's monopoly.

I, for one, am not a fan of inferior ports of 10 year old classics...

and sooner or later M$ and $ony will force big N into software only business.

At this rate, It's inevitable. One less system to buy though...

s'more Sony news....

me neither, but if u haven't noticed that's the trend in our society. Oldschool stuff...so many kids are walkin around in TMNT gear and the such. It's like the 80's are gunna come back for a brief second....just some of the pop stuff. Doubt those hairdo's/cloths will come back. but ya, everything retro is "cool" now. SO they make remakes of oldschool games...and people buy them, so they continue to make em.

s'more Sony news....

Originally posted by cww80@Nov 6, 2003 @ 12:55 AM

I am :D

maybe not the inferior part (most aren't TOO inferior).

That's mostly why I like the GBA -- I like 2D old school gaming.

For example, I'm looking forward to getting River City Ransom :D

s'more Sony news....

Originally posted by racketboy@Nov 5, 2003 @ 08:18 PM

For example, I'm looking forward to getting River City Ransom :D

I'll probably pick that one up.

Damn, I still need to pick up a GC and GB Player. :damn:

s'more Sony news....

I've been a little disappointed with the comments I've heard about the GB Player. I'd really like one with a GC, but I wish I could try it out myself

s'more Sony news....

I haven't been here in a few days and this thread is too long to completely read lol.

I think that thing might be pretty cool and will probably buy one, but I still like my gba sp with metroid fusion and zelda: lttp.

s'more Sony news....

I don't know about you but I dont move my consoles much so the xbox's size doesn't bug me. I mean maybe for someone in a japanese apartment or something yeah, but in an american home I dont see it as an issue.

Back