some aspi troubles

I downloaded aspi_471a2.exe from adaptec's site:

aspi

After using the sucky installation program (who the hell uses dos commands to install windows software these days), I ran the aspicheck utility and it says aspi32.sys and wnaspi32.dll are both version 4.71.2 but wowpost.exe and wnaspi.dll aren't installed with the warning "aspi component(s) are missing". this isn't normal is it? how can I fix? BTW I'm using XP pro

I'm pretty sure that's NOT normal, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen a lot. Here is a site with a lot more info, and I recommend you try using Force ASPI.

You might want to notice they have a picture that shows what it SHOULD look like:
aspi.gif

I would recommend ForceASPI 1.8 as the version linked to above is 1.7, and 1.8 has been the latest available version just about forever. Nothing wrong with a few more bugfixes ;) ForceASPI rocks, especially for Windows XP.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I used this trick linked above and got it working correctly (apparently):

Note: In order to get wowpost.exe and winaspi.dll updated to the latest version, I had to rename the two files in the 'adaptec' folder: wowpost.ex_ becomes wowpost.exe, and winaspi.dl_ becomes winaspi.dll. Then I manually copied these two files to my \system folder. But first I renamed the current ones to wowpost_old.exe and winaspi_old.dll, so I could go back if I had any problems.

Yup. Worst. Installer. Ever

Originally posted by Taelon@Mar 16, 2004 @ 11:08 PM

I would recommend ForceASPI 1.8 as the version linked to above is 1.7, and 1.8 has been the latest available version just about forever. Nothing wrong with a few more bugfixes ;) ForceASPI rocks, especially for Windows XP.

Yeah, I just googled it briefly since I remember my friend having good luck with it. But at least that site had a nifty pic proving that it isn't normal to be missing parts ;). But uh, I didn't notice it was out of date since I've never actually had to install an ASPI layer. I still use Win9x.

Even in Win9x, having the latest/proper ASPI from Adaptec installed is probably a good idea.

As for WinXP, if I remember correctly, the WOWPOST.EXE and WINASPI.DLL aren't even needed because they're 16-bit modules whereas XP is completely 32-bit and only needs the other two files. As always: "I could be wrong" :blush: (But hey, if I AM wrong, then so is racketboy :lol: )

well all I know is I have been burning CDs and DVDs on this installation for months with no real problems

Originally posted by Taelon@Mar 18, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

Even in Win9x, having the latest/proper ASPI from Adaptec installed is probably a good idea.

As for WinXP, if I remember correctly, the WOWPOST.EXE and WINASPI.DLL aren't even needed because they're 16-bit modules whereas XP is completely 32-bit and only needs the other two files. As always: "I could be wrong" :blush: (But hey, if I AM wrong, then so is racketboy :lol: )

It's new enough to rip stuff. Discover any new .dlls in the outer edges of your APSI layer lately?

I use ForceASPI 1.7. Apparently the dll's included with 1.8 aren't as stable or compatible as the 1.7's. And before anyone asks I don't remember where I read that, been a while.

Back