Soul Calibur II

I like the Virtua Fighter series, still, it does not compare to the Dead or Alive series.

The game is much more dynamic than any other fighting game, fights are quick and perfectly fluid. In Dead or Alive 3, there are high chances that a new player may win against an experienced player, while in games such as Virtua Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur, experienced players are practically unbeatable, those games turn into repeating the same thing all the time. You get a combo that deals nice damage and that's it, that I do not call "depth". Tournaments turn into competitions of "cheapness". In Dead or Alive, this does not happen.

Project Justice is a mediocre 2.5D fighting game, just like all Capcom fighting games.

Hm.. as much as I love DOA (due to the modified VF engine), I'd have to go with VF. NOT just because it's my favorite series ever, but simply due to it's depth. Des-ROW, you are right in Tekken's and VF's case that once you get very very good at at a character, you end up doing the best moves over and over again. HOWEVER! DOA also fits in the same category. I MAY get flamed for this, but I consider DOA to be a button-mashing version of VF. Whenever I play DOA, I try to make it a slow, technical fight ala VF, but the game engine is just too fast. I have YET to play DOA3 (Must play it....), but I am dying to do so, as I am a DOA2 fanatic. Doesn't matter what or who I play in DOA, the opponent is always cheesy has hell. Although Wolf in VF Evolution would have to be the Cheesiest fighter ever, as he only seems to know FIVE MOVES! Bah....

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:08 PM

Whenever I play DOA, I try to make it a slow, technical fight ala VF, but the game engine is just too fast.

I play Dead or Alive as fast as possible, the engine is quick and dynamic, you have to think fast and make quick decisions, not button-smash.

The core of DOA is basically nothing more than a glorified rock-paper-scissors - the fact that an inexperienced player can defeat an experienced one with relative ease certainly doesn't make it better. If that's the case, then what's the point in learning how to play the game at all?

You're right about Project Justice being 2.5D, but it's certainly not mediocre... the fun factor alone blows most other games out of the water. Besides, if your'e going to level that criticism against PJ, then certainly Toshinden deserves it as well. Actually pretty much all 3D fighters are pretty much 2.5D, the only games I've seen that really put the action in 3D are Bushido Blade and Power Stone type games (although I would call the latter more of a 'brawler').

Originally posted by it290@Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

You're right about Project Justice being 2.5D, but it's certainly not mediocre... the fun factor alone blows most other games out of the water.

The only admirable thing about Moero! Justice Gakkuen is the Nekketsu Nikki mode.

What's up with everyone and tekken.

I played all 4 tekken in the arcades (mainly vs cpu) and have lots of fun with it.

I have more fun with tekken than with soulcalibur1 (never played SC2).

I even had more stuff with tekken than with VF. Don't really know with ... probably don't get the time to get into VF as it is more complexe than tekken and less fun while you don't master it (btw I only played VF2 and VF3 in the arcades)

There just isn't much to tekken really.

People acts like it takes a long time to get decent at virtua fighter, and it does really but there are certain characters you can pick up really quick.

The only admirable thing about Moero! Justice Gakkuen is the Nekketsu Nikki mode.

Pssht. There's nothing admirable about being on crack. ;)

Anyway, what other game lets you kick as using synchronized swimming techniques?

Originally posted by Reinhart@Jan 14, 2004 @ 02:48 AM

What's up with everyone and tekken.

I played all 4 tekken in the arcades (mainly vs cpu) and have lots of fun with it.

I have more fun with tekken than with soulcalibur1 (never played SC2).

I even had more stuff with tekken than with VF. Don't really know with ... probably don't get the time to get into VF as it is more complexe than tekken and less fun while you don't master it (btw I only played VF2 and VF3 in the arcades)

Tekken has no depth, uninteresting characters, very mediocre visuals... and it plays like the old 2D Mortal Kombats - everything's based on combos on the face buttons, more or less. It's kinda like playing Dragonball Z: Budokai without the big flashy effects after you finish the simple face button combos.

Oh well, at least none of the games mentioned are as bad as the ass end of the Fighting genre, Bloody Roar...

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Tekken has no depth, uninteresting characters, very mediocre visuals... and it plays like the old 2D Mortal Kombats - everything's based on combos on the face buttons, more or less. It's kinda like playing Dragonball Z: Budokai without the big flashy effects after you finish the simple face button combos.

Oh well, at least none of the games mentioned are as bad as the ass end of the Fighting genre, Bloody Roar...

My god, Bloody Roar games are definately more enjoyable than Tekken games.

I would even consider Bloody Roar 3 to be better than Soul Calibur 2 or Moero! Justice Gakkuen.

Let's leave Bloody Roar 4 out of the Bloody Roar series... that version's system was horrible.

Originally posted by NR Pickle@Jan 14, 2004 @ 05:54 AM

There just isn't much to tekken really.

People acts like it takes a long time to get decent at virtua fighter, and it does really but there are certain characters you can pick up really quick.

True.... but to be good, you gotta spend time with 'em.

Easy To Pick Up Fighters: Pai, Kage (somewhat), Lei-Fei, Jacky, and Sarah. Jacky being the toughest to use. Sarah is second in terms of toughness. Although that's really no problem for me, as I've been a hardcore Sarah-Only player four about six years now. :lol: :p :D :cheers :smokin: :thumbs-up:

Also, back to DOA. Another thing I dislike about DOA is the Counter System. I like it due to it being easy as hell to use, however, that just leads to cheesiness due to a person countering over and over and over again. Also, I agree with it290. The fact that a newbie can beat an experienced player negates ever trying to master the game in the first place. Sarah is one of the few fighters in VF Evolution that DOES NOT have any counters. Therefore, I have to adapt to my opponent, and know exactly what move to do, given the situation, to be effective. I cannot tell you how many times Pai countered my punches in VF2 when I first started playing as Sarah. Same with Akira [counter my punches]! With DOA, just press Back+Guard and you got a counter with EVERY fighter. Not so with VF. You gotta know YOUR FIGHTER, as well as YOUR OPPONENT, in order to be good. As for Tekken... nothing really beats pulling off your first 10-Hit Combo. Much like the feeling of doing a Dragon Punch for the first time. It IS possible to have a SOMEWHAT slow, technical fight ala VF in Tekken, but that's doesn't occur very much. Tekken die-hards claim that Tekken 4 is a lot like VF, in that you gotta know what you're doing, and know the timing and such.... Um... no.....

I thought Tekken 1 and 2 were pretty good (fun anyway), but it went downhill from there. Sorta like Mortal Kombat actually.

Yeah, the problem I had with Tekken 3 was that they basically just added useless characters for no real reason, without really adding much to the game engine. Although that 'Tekken Force' minigame was kinda fun.

What? Wait, someone actually thought Toshinden was any good?

Wow! There must be a god. That game was horrendous!

Back