Thrift store find

I just made a cool find at the local thrift -- a playstation package with a ton of memory cards, controllers and accesories for $40.

I have no interest in the system, but the bag was too large to pass up. It has a Tony Hawk 2 inside the drive. I played it and... no big deal. Sort of a half version of my Dreamcast version with bad control pads.

So here is the question:

Does anyone own a playstation along with there Sega units? If so, what titles are out for PSX that I couldn't find better on my Saturn or Dreamcast. That is, are there any type of games that I should look out for or keep my new playstation for?

Uh... hmm.... er.... eh.... This may not fit the bill (the question sort of confuses me in a way) but I'll try:

Square's games (that's probably NOT what you're looking for)

Wrestling games (WCW vs the World, WWF Smackdown series)

Twisted Metal 1 & 2

Warhawk

Cool Boarders series (Cool Boarders 3 is my all-time favorite Snowboarding game)

Some others, but I have to go to bed. I'll post some more tomorrow.

Ridge Racer games, Gran Turismo,

Uh.. if you're into sports games (DC is for that) I recommend NFL GameDay and GameDay 99, NBA Live 98 among others.

If you like rpgs, I suggest Suikoden 1 and 2, Lunar 1 and 2, and Alundra (action rpg). Tekken 3 is quite good too.

Games from Namco, Ridge Racer series, Soul Blade, Namco Museum, Tekken series.

Games from Capcom - Mega Man x5 and x6, Resident Evil series, Dino Crisis,

But the PSX lacks good titles like Sonic, VF, VC, msh vs sf (good Version) SFA3, (Good Version) etc...

and if Mega Man X5 and x6, Marvel Vs Capcom, and other 2d games came out on Saturn they would be better!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I have the Saturn version of Castlevania: SOTN. Is it different from the playstation version?

Also, wouldn't my Soul Caliber and DOA on Dreamcast make Tekken useless to me?

Those are some great suggestions I hadn't thought of, but I figured most sports titles would fare better on DC and most 2D fighters would be better on the Saturn.

I am trying to figure out if there are any "must-haves". I mean, something I couldn't get a better experience of on Sega systems. I would suggest buying a Genesis for Herzog Zwei and Gunstar Heroes alone! What would be the playstation equivalent to justify not putting this baby up on ebay for a few bucks?

Well, Tekken plays a lot differently to most 3d fighters because of the control layout. It's different enough (and Tekken 3 is definately good enough) to warrant buying if you're into the genre. There's even a Streets of Rage style game mode in it, which is good fun.

Like Cloud said, Square's PSX games are probably the best reason to own the system. Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana and Vagrant Story are all fantastic. Tobal 2 is amazing also, but only came out in Japan. I think there's a complete translation patch for it, but obviously the PSX would need modding to use a patched game..

If you like shooters there's Gradius Gaiden, R-Type Delta, Einhander and G-Darius.

actually, if you can find the bleem disks, GT2 and Tekken3 along with Metal Gear Solid look a hell of a lot better on the Dreamcast than on the Playstation. Checkout EB games. Last I checked, they still had some here and under $10.

Originally posted by falstaff@Feb 18, 2003 @ 10:26 PM

actually, if you can find the bleem disks, GT2 and Tekken3 along with Metal Gear Solid look a hell of a lot better on the Dreamcast than on the Playstation. Checkout EB games. Last I checked, they still had some here and under $10.

Well, there is another alternative to that.. If your PC's up to it, you could play those games and most others with the improved graphics if you use ePSXe.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Feb 18, 2003 @ 02:30 AM

Well, I have the Saturn version of Castlevania: SOTN. Is it different from the playstation version?

From what i've read here on the board, the saturn port, was hastily done and wasn't optimized, but was the one that had all the better features (getting to play as maria, getting to play as Richter from the get-go, the extra areas). The playstation version is the better playing of the two, there is no slowdown from what i experienced. Since you already have Saturn version, I would say that the playstation version isn't worth the purchase unless you can get it cheap.

there's some good psx games (at least I thought) that were released shortly after the ps2 came out, like Ark the Lad and Hoshigami that were translated and relesed in the US.

also (still if you're not into rpgs, sorry, but) ff1 & 2

I remember all the hype on tv for Final Fantasy 7. Which title in the series should I get? The first? The most recent? or 7 because of all the hype about it?

Originally posted by Nadius@Feb 18, 2003 @ 04:06 PM

From what i've read here on the board, the saturn port, was hastily done and wasn't optimized, but was the one that had all the better features (getting to play as maria, getting to play as Richter from the get-go, the extra areas). The playstation version is the better playing of the two, there is no slowdown from what i experienced.

(*snip*)

That's 100% accurate, but the truth is, you can get the PlayStation version in, whereas you'll most likely be stuck humming Turning Japanese I Think I'm Turning Japanese I Really Think So while playing the Saturn version.

Indeed, I wonder if there might be a sort of guide on how to play the Saturn version, as I find both the game and the manual hopelessly confusing, and I'd like to do more than run around slashing monsters <_<

Also in the package was what looks like a black memory card with a game shark logo.

It does nothing when I plug it in. Do I need a disc with this? Or am I not following the right procedures?

Also, regarding the saturn castlevania, it was my prized possession. A month later I realized I never played past the introduction fight. You're right. It is not playable.

get ff7 if you wanna be a hard core fan boy and like to think cloud is god, personally of the more recent ff's i like 8 the most i love the card game and the gf animations are awesome.

Final Fantasy VIII was where the series started to lose it for me.. It started placing graphical prowess over characters and storyline. All the hype won't stop you from enjoying FFVII. I went into it thinking it was going to be a letdown, it turned out to be anything but.

Back