Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

You need to use the Mednafen debugger:
  1. Press ALT+D to bring up the debugger.
  2. Press the S key to go into step mode.
  3. Press S to step through the assembly instructions until you are on the instruction right before the tst instruction.
  4. Use the Arrow key to navigate over to the register R2 and press enter to enter a new value.
  5. Change the value from 00000000 to 00000002 and press enter.
  6. Press R to resume the game and that should get you past that issue.
  7. Press Alt + D to close the debugger.
Also, keep in mind that Mednafen makes a checksum for your disc image and puts that into the save file names. So it wont realize that Disc 2 is Disc 2 and will instead think it's a new game and make a new set of save files for it. If it does this just go into the sav directory in mednafen and rename the Disc 1 files to be the same name as the Disc 2 files, and delete the Disc 2 files.
I appreciate it, I'm going to try that. Thank you so much.

3. Press S to step through the assembly instructions until you are on the instruction right before the tst instruction.
  4. Use the Arrow key to navigate over to the register R2 and press enter to enter a new value.
Also, keep in mind that Mednafen makes a checksum for your disc image and puts that into the save file names. So it wont realize that Disc 2 is Disc 2 and will instead think it's a new game and make a new set of save files for it. If it does this just go into the sav directory in mednafen and rename the Disc 1 files to be the same name as the Disc 2 files, and delete the Disc 2 files.

It's still saying there are no disc 2 files. When I launch disc 2, it automatically creates these disc 2 files (highlighted--the non highlighted ones are my saves when prompted at the end of disc 1). When I delete these disc 2 saves and rename the Grandia ones to what the highlighted disc 2 saves are, it still doesn't detect them. What am I doing wrong?

I apologize for the difficulty.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 161
Thanks, I got it. I needed to rename all six files (GRANDIA and GRANDIA disc 1 of 2).

If this isnt the place to be posting this I'm sorry but I'm having some issues playing on real hardware. I've followed the instructions in the readme including extracting the data track with IsoBuster. I'm using Pseudo Saturn Kai on an action replay 4m plus. It's also worth mentioning I burnt the game at 8x (slowest speed my drive supports) on a taio yuden. The game seems to run fine and the translation is working but when I get in a battle none of the character or enemy sprites load in. It's just an empty battlefield. I tried the same patched game on an emulator and it seems 100% fine battles and all. Any one have any ideas?

screen shot of the issue
sdada.jpg

It's likely the speed of your burner (or the burner itself) - not the media. I have good Ritek dye media that I use and I burn at 4X on a Pioneer DVDRW. If you can get an older burner that supports 1X then that's even better.

If this isnt the place to be posting this I'm sorry but I'm having some issues playing on real hardware. I've followed the instructions in the readme including extracting the data track with IsoBuster. I'm using Pseudo Saturn Kai on an action replay 4m plus. It's also worth mentioning I burnt the game at 8x (slowest speed my drive supports) on a taio yuden. The game seems to run fine and the translation is working but when I get in a battle none of the character or enemy sprites load in. It's just an empty battlefield. I tried the same patched game on an emulator and it seems 100% fine battles and all. Any one have any ideas?

screen shot of the issue
View attachment 4859

For a sanity check can you test a copy of the original unpatched Japanese game? It looks like only the VDP1 Frame buffer layer and RGB0 are showing, and everything else that's on NBG1 isn't showing.

Last edited:

screen shot of the issue
View attachment 4859
Also, check if the issue is the pseudo saturn since it works on emulators. It should work with your console.
I burn my Grandia discs at 10x speed and never had a problem.

so a non patched game does the same thing on my Saturn. I dunno why I didn't think of that first. Must be Pseudo Saturn Kai I guess. I checked the compatability list but they only have Grandia ~Digital Museum~ and Grandia ~Prelude~ listed. Maybe I should just go the mod chip route. Can I region patch the game first then do the translation patch afterwards?

so a non patched game does the same thing on my Saturn. I dunno why I didn't think of that first. Must be Pseudo Saturn Kai I guess. I checked the compatability list but they only have Grandia ~Digital Museum~ and Grandia ~Prelude~ listed. Maybe I should just go the mod chip route. Can I region patch the game first then do the translation patch afterwards?

English patch first, then region patch and it should be ok.

Hello Trekkies, i found a little bug in my game. During the Sulfa Weed quest when you take white or red sulfa the text box is showing Sue face instead of Feena, also after the FMV when Feena talks about the Mist forest, her face picture is missing.
00000000.png 00000001.png

Hello Trekkies, i found a little bug in my game. During the Sulfa Weed quest when you take white or red sulfa the text box is showing Sue face instead of Feena.
View attachment 4862
I'll look into it. If you can provide a save file for near that spot that would be really helpful.

Also after the FMV when Feena talks about the Mist forest, her face picture is missing.
View attachment 4863

That actually looks to be normal behavior for the Saturn version:

I can look into it and see if I can do anything to improve it, but I make no promises.

Heyyy I follow you on Twitch! Sup dawg? Anyhoo, did you try JHL loading / trying to patch with Delta Patcher Lite instead of Delta Patcher? The game is very finicky. Hope burning at a slower speed does the trick for ya, I can't get past the title menu because of the 3in1 cart I have... shoulda held onto my old ARP!

It could also be something wrong with your Saturn. Try loading up some other games, both burned and legitimate (with and without the cartridge) and see if you see similar behavior.

I'll look into it. If you can provide a save file for near that spot that would be really helpful.

That actually looks to be normal behavior for the Saturn version:

I can look into it and see if I can do anything to improve it, but I make no promises.

I'm using SSF to play the game, do i need to convert the save in another format?

Heyyy I follow you on Twitch! Sup dawg? Anyhoo, did you try JHL loading / trying to patch with Delta Patcher Lite instead of Delta Patcher? The game is very finicky. Hope burning at a slower speed does the trick for ya, I can't get past the title menu because of the 3in1 cart I have... shoulda held onto my old ARP!

Hey man. The patcher probably wont matter cause I have the same issue even with a non patched game unfortunately. I tried JHL loading but the problem persists. I dunno for sure but i'm thinking its either my saturn doesnt like either of my cd burners, psk is causing issues or some kind of hardware failure with my saturn.

It could also be something wrong with your Saturn. Try loading up some other games, both burned and legitimate (with and without the cartridge) and see if you see similar behavior.

Could be the saturn or the cart not sure. It played a burnt copy of Guardian Heroes fine. I also played a real copy of Magical Drop 3 with no issues. When I tried a real copy of Biohazard it freezes alot. Freezes on the capcom logo fmv. When I got past that it froze when I chose my character as well. So not sure what the issue there is. The disc doesnt seem that bad. Just loading the capcom logo fmv took a long time as well. Magical Drop 3 and Biohazard I need the cart cause they are imports. The only game I can test with out the pseudo saturn kai cart is NiGHTS and that seemed to run perfectly fine. I have a real copy of Grandia coming in the mail so i'll test that as well.

thanks for every ones suggestions/help.

edit: I think it wasnt playing my Biohazard disc cause the lazer was dirty. I cleaned the lens and it runs fine now. Still no luck with Grandia though.

Last edited:
I'm using SSF to play the game, do i need to convert the save in another format?

I can use SSF so that will be fine.

Could be the saturn or the cart not sure. It played a burnt copy of Guardian Heroes fine. I also played a real copy of Magical Drop 3 with no issues. When I tried a real copy of Biohazard it freezes alot. Freezes on the capcom logo fmv. When I got past that it froze when I chose my character as well. So not sure what the issue there is. The disc doesnt seem that bad. Just loading the capcom logo fmv took a long time as well. Magical Drop 3 and Biohazard I need the cart cause they are imports. The only game I can test with out the pseudo saturn kai cart is NiGHTS and that seemed to run perfectly fine. I have a real copy of Grandia coming in the mail so i'll test that as well.

thanks for every ones suggestions/help.

Try out Fighter's Megamix if you can. If NGB1 isn't working correctly you'll have a black background layer in the character select screen.

Try out Fighter's Megamix if you can. If NGB1 isn't working correctly you'll have a black background layer in the character select screen.
that seems to be working fine. the first burn I did refused to load but I did it on cheaper media cause I got kinda tired of making coasters out of the taio yudens lol. The taio yuden copy seems to load fine though.

edit: I'll get back to you all on this once I have a cd burner that burns at 4x, the mod chip and my legit copy of Grandia. probably be a few weeks though.

Last edited:

Here are my saves, the first is after the battle but before seeing the FMV. The second is before getting the Sulfa Weed.

Attachments

• InternalBackup.7z
    1 KB · Views: 141
Back