Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Ahh I see the included readme so your CUE instructs the ISO+WAV together for ImgBurn

THANK YOU!! n I wonder if free IsoBuster is still limitless

Per suggestions both here and on the SegaXtreme discord, I purchased some Taiyo Yuden-equivalent CD-Rs from Amazon. I have reburned disc 1 of TrekkiesUnite118's Grandia English patch and the bugs I was previously experiencing are no longer present. That includes both premature ending of FMVs, as well as a bug I was experiencing on the Ghost Ship where the game froze on the last battle before the squid boss.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJ6GS3Q

Just a small update. I believe I now have all the battle text translated:

And here's some shots from Disc 2:
eQEAdD8.png
Sdr10iu.png

s1htlEi.png

With that out of the way here's what still remains:
  • Fix all the voice synchronization issues.
  • Fix the alignment issue with "Your Initiative" and "Ambushed!" in the battle screen.
  • Determine how to decode and re-encode the FMVs so subtitles can be added.
  • Figure out how to add text to areas that are voiced with no text.
  • Touch up any translation issues (coffee references, etc.)

Determine how to decode and re-encode the FMVs so subtitles can be added.
I remember that Dragon Force II also don't have subtitles on the FMVs. I don't think that they ever found a simple way to do it. I don't mind having just a TXT with the translated transcript of what it's being said in the FMVs.

I remember that Dragon Force II also don't have subtitles on the FMVs. I don't think that they ever found a simple way to do it. I don't mind having just a TXT with the translated transcript of what it's being said in the FMVs.

There is a Fan translation called Linkle Liver Story that adds subs directly encoded within the FMV.

You can find list with links to contact info for the people who worked on the translation here:

And I believe this is the official site for the release:

There is a Fan translation called Linkle Liver Story that adds subs directly encoded within the FMV.

You can find list with links to contact info for the people who worked on the translation here:

And I believe this is the official site for the release:
Grandia has a different video format than Linkle Liver Story (cinepak).

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone involved. I loved Grandia II and had been wanting to play the Saturn Grandia I for many years. I will not say I truly understand how all of this works even after reading this thread but I'm glad it does. I was easily able to apply the patch and get the game started. I did have some issues with the game. Let me first start off by saying I got the files online. I didn't rip my own. I got the patch here and used all the tools in the .readme. I actually grabbed the .60 patch and didn't see there was another update so I will be doing that later today. I am actually running this on a Nvidia Shield using Yaba Sanshiro Pro. My issues after 1 hour of playing are as follows;

*booting up the game during the video sequence ts it emits a loud high pitched sound drowning out the game audio (I had to mute my TV)
*all motion video scenes are blurred to the point of unrecognizable but this seems to be parr for the emulated course
*very pixelated sprites and text while walking around, polygons are sharp (possibly emulator setting or fact it is upscaled on my 55" TV?)
*missing graphics on battle scenes (it's almost like every other sprite is being generated on characters and the fight order bar on bottom right)
*japanese text still during battle scene which I see was changed with the new patch so not really an issue (i'm still on .60)

I did not try the unpatched rom to see if these issues are present but I will be doing that tonight. I will also be applying the .62 patch and compare. The strange thing is when I capture the video on my Shield the graphics look better than what I'm seeing on my TV screen.

English Patched Grandia on Shield

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone involved. I loved Grandia II and had been wanting to play the Saturn Grandia I for many years. I will not say I truly understand how all of this works even after reading this thread but I'm glad it does. I was easily able to apply the patch and get the game started. I did have some issues with the game. Let me first start off by saying I got the files online. I didn't rip my own. I got the patch here and used all the tools in the .readme. I actually grabbed the .60 patch and didn't see there was another update so I will be doing that later today. I am actually running this on a Nvidia Shield using Yaba Sanshiro Pro. My issues after 1 hour of playing are as follows;

*booting up the game during the video sequence ts it emits a loud high pitched sound drowning out the game audio (I had to mute my TV)
*all motion video scenes are blurred to the point of unrecognizable but this seems to be parr for the emulated course
*very pixelated sprites and text while walking around, polygons are sharp (possibly emulator setting or fact it is upscaled on my 55" TV?)
*missing graphics on battle scenes (it's almost like every other sprite is being generated on characters and the fight order bar on bottom right)
*japanese text still during battle scene which I see was changed with the new patch so not really an issue (i'm still on .60)

I did not try the unpatched rom to see if these issues are present but I will be doing that tonight. I will also be applying the .62 patch and compare. The strange thing is when I capture the video on my Shield the graphics look better than what I'm seeing on my TV screen.

English Patched Grandia on Shield
Except for the japanese texts during battles, all your issues are emulation related. Try SSF (needs specifc configuration to solve the fmv audio) or Mednafen on PC.

Except for the japanese texts during battles, all your issues are emulation related. Try SSF (needs specifc configuration to solve the fmv audio) or Mednafen on PC.

I agree with you. It does all appear to be the emulator. I will mess with the settings to try and get the best picture possible. Unfortunately Yaba Sanshiro appears to by my only option with emulation because I use a Nvidia Shield. I do not have a PC or original console anymore. This game is playable as is so I am happy. Thanks

I agree with you. It does all appear to be the emulator. I will mess with the settings to try and get the best picture possible. Unfortunately Yaba Sanshiro appears to by my only option with emulation because I use a Nvidia Shield. I do not have a PC or original console anymore. This game is playable as is so I am happy. Thanks
There is an SSF android test version. Never tried it myself but should be good.

Just some musings on the funky codec issue, please bear with me.

Has anyone looked at the video decoder embedded in the game itself? Is there *any* possibility that the codec embedded in the game also has the ability to encode?

Acknowledging that it might be almost sacrilege to suggest, but if it doesn't turn out to be possible to find/reverse engineer an encoder to re-encode the video into its original format, can the video and corresponding decoder be replaced with one that's more of a known quantity? If this was possible, I imagine the recent Grandia HD Collection release could function as a good clean source video from which to encode a new one.

Just some musings on the funky codec issue, please bear with me.

Has anyone looked at the video decoder embedded in the game itself? Is there *any* possibility that the codec embedded in the game also has the ability to encode?

Acknowledging that it might be almost sacrilege to suggest, but if it doesn't turn out to be possible to find/reverse engineer an encoder to re-encode the video into its original format, can the video and corresponding decoder be replaced with one that's more of a known quantity? If this was possible, I imagine the recent Grandia HD Collection release could function as a good clean source video from which to encode a new one.

That's not really how it works. The code on the disc is the decoder. It can only decode. The encoder would have been an application on their dev system (A PC or Macintosh most likely) that took a raw Video file and encoded for their custom codec. It would have been a complete waste of resources and disc space to write that encoder for the Saturn and put it on the disc.

As for replacing the codec, it could be possible but the amount of effort required to do that would probably be on par with if not worse than reverse engineering the codec itself. People have reverse engineered various codecs for the Saturn, Sega CD, PC, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, etc. over the years. It just requires someone knowledgeable on the subject with the time to look into it.

i'm interested in dipping my toes into saturn dev and would be curious to take a look at the FMV stuff. i don't have experience with codecs, but i have a friend who does and might be able to help out. would it be possible to get a test harness rom with only the video decoder/player?

Is the decoder a discrete executable or is it compiled right into the game executable?

The decoder is in the file GMOVE.BIN I believe. This file also holds a lot of the code for other kinds of graphics decompression and what not. You're best bet would be to make some save states in emulators while the FMV is playing and use something like Ghidra to step through it.

Back