Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

It looks like the error is because I had no cue file - just iso and wav. I used the one that was created with the previous patched versions and all was good. Thanks!

The game grew 150 MB from 0.91 to 0.92, i'm not sure if this is the patcher doing and why it's doing it. But here i thought it worth mentioning cos it seemed unnatural.

0.91 -> 0.92
cd1 524 MB -> 602 MB (+78 MB)
cd2 495 MB -> 569 MB (+74 MB)
Total increase: 152 MB

Also, it may be nothing and I have no proof other than my opinion, but it seems like the cd is spinning and the laser moving more (more noise) in ver 0.92 than in 0.91. As I said, I have no proof I just noticed it after burning the newer version and never noticed it with the previous two versions - same CD brand: CMCpro TY at 10x speed.

The game grew 150 MB from 0.91 to 0.92, i'm not sure if this is the patcher doing and why it's doing it. But here i thought it worth mentioning cos it seemed unnatural.

0.91 -> 0.92
cd1 524 MB -> 602 MB (+78 MB)
cd2 495 MB -> 569 MB (+74 MB)
Total increase: 152 MB
That's because you're comparing 1 Track (the ISO) to a fully built CD with multiple tracks and Error Correction data and proper sector sizes. If you look at rips of the original Japanese disc you'll see the size is about the same.

Also, it may be nothing and I have no proof other than my opinion, but it seems like the cd is spinning and the laser moving more (more noise) in ver 0.92 than in 0.91. As I said, I have no proof I just noticed it after burning the newer version and never noticed it with the previous two versions - same CD brand: CMCpro TY at 10x speed.

I compared a burned copy of the patch to my official Japanese discs on my Saturn and I'm noticing no more drive activity on the patch than what I get with the official disc.

I just finished the entire game (I believe I was using patch 0.9.1) and, having never played the game before, my experience was flawless. There were a couple of times where I noticed very minor grammatical errors, but I assume the text was taken straight from the PSX version so I have no complaints.

Thanks again for your efforts, @TrekkiesUnite118! I must admit, the game was a bit of a slog at times with the excessive number of battles, but overall I quite enjoyed my time with it and I'm glad I had the chance to play through.

So far I've played to New Parm using v.92. The patch has been 99% perfect. I did notice a missing space in Mio's dialogue at the entrance of the Sult Ruins (or maybe it was Nana? Idk one of them). I was able to noclip through the sealed Museum door, though I'm not sure if that was in the original game as well.

I have a few feature requests though I'm not sure if they would be possible to build into the game:

1. Battle subtitles: I have a vague idea of what the party members say during their victory poses from playing the Dubbed version years ago, but everything else is a mystery to me. Is it possible to add in subtitles or would that be a scripting nightmare?
  2. Cutscene subtitles: Ditto for non-FMV cutscenes (e.g. the Room of Illusions or the intro of Feena on the Steamer).
  3. Higher-res FMVs: Okay, this is stretching it but I know from your Lunar Silver Star project that it is (or at least will be) possible to play higher-res FMVs in the non-MPEG version of the game. I'm wondering if a similar trick of engineering would allow Grandia to do the same (say, playing the PSX or HD steam versions).

So far I've played to New Parm using v.92. The patch has been 99% perfect. I did notice a missing space in Mio's dialogue at the entrance of the Sult Ruins (or maybe it was Nana? Idk one of them). I was able to noclip through the sealed Museum door, though I'm not sure if that was in the original game as well.

I have a few feature requests though I'm not sure if they would be possible to build into the game:

1. Battle subtitles: I have a vague idea of what the party members say during their victory poses from playing the Dubbed version years ago, but everything else is a mystery to me. Is it possible to add in subtitles or would that be a scripting nightmare?
  2. Cutscene subtitles: Ditto for non-FMV cutscenes (e.g. the Room of Illusions or the intro of Feena on the Steamer).
  3. Higher-res FMVs: Okay, this is stretching it but I know from your Lunar Silver Star project that it is (or at least will be) possible to play higher-res FMVs in the non-MPEG version of the game. I'm wondering if a similar trick of engineering would allow Grandia to do the same (say, playing the PSX or HD steam versions).

1. I have no intention of doing that. I haven't dug into how that works and it's such a minor thing it's not really worth it I think. They're all just generic battle cries and even the HD version doesn't do that.
  2. I've already added them to where it was important story wise. The two you've pointed out are the two spots where it's not important due to either being repeated in a text box 2 seconds later, or just being generic banter.
  3. The FMVs are already running in the high res mode of 352x448i. The Game is using a custom MPEG like codec that is already pushing the Saturn hardware to it's limits with both CPUs and the DSP being used and the best it can do at the resolutions it runs at now is 10-12 fps.
As for the issue with the missing space, if you can provide a picture of the example then I can fix it.

Last edited:
  1. I have no intention of doing that. I haven't dug into how that works and it's such a minor thing it's not really worth it I think. They're all just generic battle cries and even the HD version doesn't do that.
  2. I've already added them to where it was important story wise. The two you've pointed out are the two spots where it's not important due to either being repeated in a text box 2 seconds later, or just being generic banter.
  3. The FMVs are already running in the high res mode of 352x448i. The Game is using a custom MPEG like codec that is already pushing the Saturn hardware to it's limits with both CPUs and the DSP being used and the best it can do at the resolutions it runs at now is 10-12 fps.
As for the issue with the missing space, if you can provide a picture of the example then I can fix it.

1. Fair enough.
  2. Oh, I didn't realize. I look forward to it.
  3. Wow, I didn't realize how much Saturn struggled with FMVs. Good to know they're already at the max possible qaulity.
Regarding the missing space, unfortunately I'm far past that point in the game. But after referencing an LP on YouTube I believe it's when Saki is talking to her troops. It's not present in this video, but IIRC the missing space in the latest version I'm playing is between "...tolerate failure!" and "Be sharp..."

Basically FMV codecs are all software based on the Saturn unless the game uses the Video CD Card, which few do. While Cinepak can get decent results at decent frame rates and resolutions, for some reason Game Arts decided to write their own MPEG like codec for Grandia which MPEG is a lot more demanding than Cinepak. It's why Sega made an add-on card with additional hardware to handle the decoding in the first place.

As for the space issue, I should be able to fix that easily enough.

There is an issue with the Region Free option with Grandia. The game binary reads pointers in the IPBin area. I need to trace the events to try and understand a little better as to what is going on.

Noticed a new glitch in the menu when Feena first joins the party. Some weird graphical artifacts off to the far left. I'm using v.9.2RC and SSF PreviewVerR18(Test8).

Attachments

• 00000000.png
    00000000.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 308
Does it happen in the Japanese version as well?
I'll have to check my backup copy tomorrow and let you know (will my save file for the patched game work with the original?)

Also speaking of regional differences, I noticed the mixed magic in this version is called bolt, woods, bomb, and snow. But in the official English localization they're called thunder, forest, explosion, and blizzard. Did you change the names to be more faithful to the Japanese? Or is it due to a character limit?

typo when you talk to the sailor crew member on the deck after finishing the swabbing mini-game. You're should be "Your"

Attachments

• rec Screenshot 2021-02-18 00-48-40.png
    rec Screenshot 2021-02-18 00-48-40.png
    738.3 KB · Views: 191
I'll have to check my backup copy tomorrow and let you know (will my save file for the patched game work with the original?)

Also speaking of regional differences, I noticed the mixed magic in this version is called bolt, woods, bomb, and snow. But in the official English localization they're called thunder, forest, explosion, and blizzard. Did you change the names to be more faithful to the Japanese? Or is it due to a character limit?
It's a space issue. If you look closely you'll notice the screen was re-arranged on the PS1 version to add more information.

Back