Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

It's probably doable but I didn't think it was worthwhile for something so minor. Those menu layouts are all hardcoded in assembly and messing with them isn't really fun.

Before I upload this to SX, could people please test to see if the region patching works for Grandia and a few other random games.

Attachments

• SaturnPatcher.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 205
@Hyperthesis said - Noticed a new glitch in the menu when Feena first joins the party. Some weird graphical artifacts off to the far left. I'm using v.9.2RC and SSF PreviewVerR18(Test8)

I noticed this as well, but it's actually the "fog" effect that occurs in the main game causes wobbly lines in the menu. So it's less of a glitch and more of a feature.

Noticed some minor issues with the dialogue. Basically just awkward line breaks. Awkward pause in the middle of dialogue box when Justin is talking about Rem (I think "about him" should be on the same line if there's going to be a pause, or just display the bottom two lines together); Nana finishing a sentence with "...beast" in a new textbox when there was room in the prior one; and same issue as Nana with a villager who starts a new textbox with "safely" when there was room on the prior.

Unrelated to the patch, does anyone know of a translation guide for the battle dialogue? I know it's just "generic banter" and won't be officially translated, but I'd like to know what some of the characters are saying beyond just shouting out the element of their spells (hono, kaze, etc) which is about all my non-Japanese ears can discern. Most seem really different from the English localization; e.g. Mio's VA and banter sounds so much sweeter and psychotic than her weird, cocky/edgy English lines.

Attachments

• 00000001.png
    00000001.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 00000003.png
    00000003.png
    82 KB · Views: 283
  • 00000005.png
    00000005.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 316
I'd have to take a look but if that's how they are in the PS1 version then I probably wont bother changing it.

Also keep in mind that while it may look like there was space in the previous box, that may not be the case. The font is 8x16 and is fixed width, not variable width. So it may actually go beyond the 1 space buffer that's on the sides of the text box.

Found another bug. The icons for Feena's Time Gate, Life Tree, and End of the World don't show the correct icons in the battle menu (instead showing snow, wood, and fire), but they do display correctly in the field menu's Magic list so they clearly exist in the game data. I don't have the Japanese version handy to check if it's the same (I had to delete the rips to save space), but the correct icons are present in the battle menu on the PS1 version.

Do you need me to upload some images to show you what I'm referring to?

It's not a bug, that's how they appear in the Japanese Saturn Version.
So is it a bug in the original game then? Because the graphical assets for Icarian spells exist, they're just not applied consistently...

00000028.png

If you're only interested in patching in the English translation and nothing else, that's fine. I'll try to study up on how to patch the game to fix the spell icons (and the Mana Egg icon as well, which also differs from the PS1 version). I assume there's documentation on this site on how to patch Grandia ourselves?

In other news, I did find a translation bug. When speaking with Darlin...

00000022.png

So is it a bug in the original game then? Because the graphical assets for Icarian spells exist, they're just not applied consistently...

View attachment 6014

If you're only interested in patching in the English translation and nothing else, that's fine. I'll try to study up on how to patch the game to fix the spell icons (and the Mana Egg icon as well, which also differs from the PS1 version). I assume there's documentation on this site on how to patch Grandia ourselves?

In other news, I did find a translation bug. When speaking with Darlin...

View attachment 6015
What does other iterations of the game do in this regard?

The icon issue is most likely that the Saturn version is an earlier version of the game. The Icon may exist in the menu code but not in the battle mode. I believe the icon displayed in battle is the one for the magic level requirements. So Time Gate is shown Ice since it requires Water and Wind magic to learn it. Tree of Life is shown as Forest because it requires Earth and Water. End of the World is shown as fire because it requires fire.

Without digging into how that works I'm not sure how hard it would be to change the icons.

As for the translation error I'll need to look into the scene in context to see what's wrong.

Can confirm there is nothing wrong with that line. It's the same way in the PS1 and HD versions and the Japanese line is as follows:
君が 虹の泉から
アレントへ たどり着いた
そのときに‥‥

Which if DeepL and Google are to be trusted comes out as this:
When you arrive at Alent from
the Rainbow Springs.
That's when...

It's basically just the Character being goofy and suspenseful. The next immediate line is this in the script:
Could it be?
Mistress Liete of Alent!? How
wondrous to live to see you again!

Can confirm there is nothing wrong with that line. It's the same way in the PS1 and HD versions and the Japanese line is as follows:

Which if DeepL and Google are to be trusted comes out as this:

It's basically just the Character being goofy and suspenseful. The next immediate line is this in the script:
You have a lower case t starting a sentence and not followed with an elipse

That's how it is in the PS1 and HD versions.
But from the Deepl translation, doesn't it suggest it's a grammar error in the localisation and should be something like:
"When you have reached Alent from the Rainbow Spring, then..."
or at least
"When you have reached Alent from the Rainbow Spring. Then..."
although the latter doesn't flow as well in English.

It could be a grammar error or it could be the localization team trying to write the text to be read in a certain way. Going all lower case with periods could imply he's saying it softly and going off into his own thoughts which would fit the character. That said I can fix it if it really bothers people this much.

While there's something to be said for preserving the original localization for authenticity's sake, including the awkward grammar and syntax, I think correcting clear typographical errors are fair game. My rationale is there really no English style guides that permit for sentences to start with lowercase letters, so unless this character is specifically written to speak with broken English (judging from the rest of his dialogue, he isn't) then I feel the intended line is "Then…"

While there's something to be said for preserving the original localization for authenticity's sake, including the awkward grammar and syntax, I think correcting clear typographical errors are fair game. My rationale is there really no English style guides that permit for sentences to start with lowercase letters, so unless this character is specifically written to speak with broken English (judging from the rest of his dialogue, he isn't) then I feel the intended line is "Then…"

I'm not preserving the original localization for authenticity's sake, if that were the case I wouldn't have removed the censorship. What I'm getting at is that almost all of what you're reporting as bugs aren't bugs at all. They're either things behaving the same way they do in the Japanese version or it's nitpicking over things that are just going to happen when going from Japanese to English. English takes up more space which will cause the script to possibly spill over into another text box here and there.

I'm hesitant to change things like this because all I'm being given is an out of context screenshot. Without a save to see how those lines are playing out it causes me to have to make guesses. I can fix the "Then..." line but I'm not going to touch any of the others. That said I'd prefer to have a save of that part of the game to get a better idea of the context.

Last edited:
Not really a bug, but something that feels a little off:
In Valley of the Flying Dragon, whenever you end a fight, the place name shows up on the top of the screen, and the compass overlaps part of it.
I noticed it specifically in Valley of the Flying Dragon (2), being almost impossible to understand the (2).
The first time it appeared, I thought I was near the passage to Valley of the Flying Dragon (3), because the number was unreadable, but seemed like a 3.
It's nitpicking, but maybe if you short "Valley", it will looks better.
I just got to gadwin house and saved. I can make some screenshots tomorrow, if they help.
Btw, playing the first RC, burned to a disc, in real NTSC hardware.

The issue is the way VDP2 layering priorities over VDP1 objects works. I've looked into adjusting it so the that layer has priority over the VDP1 compass, but I have no idea how changing it in one place will impact everything else. I can change it by adjusting the registers while the game is running, but I have no idea how to go about changing it in the games data files.

Back