Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

I believe that changes in the file will require unpacking it and then packing it back (for example, for * .MDT files). This is the reason for the difficulties in changing the data.
Do you have a save file so I can look at the place you mentioned? And a screenshot would also come in handy.
I do , it will just have to wait until later tonight when I get home from work.

I didn't really bother with that one as it's repeated less than a few seconds later with a text box. I don't think the HD Remaster did anything with it either.

I was going to say, I don't remember that.. but now I do, and no, they didn't put anything there in the HD Remaster (because you can use the English dub if you wanted). Honestly I think it's part of the feel of that scene, you hear this ghostly voice calling you, before you meet Liete for the first time. Having a subtitle there I don't think would change anything.

I believe that changes in the file will require unpacking it and then packing it back (for example, for * .MDT files). This is the reason for the difficulties in changing the data.
Do you have a save file so I can look at the place you mentioned? And a screenshot would also come in handy.
So with the Save Point I've been playing with it and I've tried a few different things. The save point is actually half solid and half mesh. The back portion is solid and the front portion is mesh as you can see below:
GRANDIA_SaveMeshNormal.png

And as a result you actually can't see anything behind it:
GRANDIA_SaveMeshNormal2.png

Now if I make the whole thing half transparent, you get this:
GRANDIA_SaveTransparent.png

While you can see sprites behind it now, you still can't see VDP2 stuff, and the overdraw issue leaves artifacts in the transparency. The other option is to make the whole thing a mesh that gives this look:
GRANDIA_SaveMesh.png

Which if we simulate composite blurring you get something kind of like this:
GRANDIA_SaveMeshBlur.png

The last one I think honestly looks the best if you want the thing to look transparent, however I'm not sure if it's a change I can actually put into the game. I've yet to trace it back to the actual game data. I can find where the values are in HWRAM and I can trace the first command that starts with 0x68 to 0x0602919C which is a value of 0x0340. This get's shifted right 3 times to give 0x68. However I can't find where this 0x0340 value comes from. I've traced it to a point 0x68 is in r7 and then gets shifted to 0x0340 and get's written to that address, but I can't find where r7 is being set to trace it back from there. If where this info is in the MDT file can be found I can probably start looking for common patterns in the files with save points to implement this. But I'm not sure how easy that will be to find.

The same will most likely be true for other things that were mentioned like the stuff in Gumbo.

The values in registers "R6" and "R7" are formed as a result of data unpacking. The file "2410.MDT" contains the data of the location that I gave as an example. It looks like the jumps to the unpacking routines are at the addresses "0x06013FE4" and "0x06013FEA". "MDT" files are loaded into LRAM starting at "0x00280000".

Well, part of the MDT file is loaded in at 0x00280000. The Script portion specifically gets put there, however other parts of the file get loaded into other locations in both LWRAM and HWRAM from what I remember. The MDT file is effectively a Map Data file that contains all the data for whatever map you're currently in such as the script data, graphics data, sound effects data, custom code for specific scripted sequences, etc.

I figured R6 and R7 are populated from some form of data decompression or something, but if I can trace back to where exactly it's getting that particular data from I can start to try and figure out what's going on and what need's changed.

So, just wanted to post what I'm thinking might be a low priority bug that won't effect TOO many folks. But I just installed the Reset-to-Mode 9-pin JST for the TerraOnion MODE on my Sega Saturn. Was testing it out, namely on Grandia RC 0.96, and it just stops and skips. Tried a different area, same thing. I tried other games, other translations, on both the SSD and the SD, and all of those reset back to the MODE Menu just fine. So I don't know if any of the devs have a MODE, to test this, with that 9-Pin JST harness soldered in and plugged into the MODE, but, yeah. Just wanted to make it known.

Happens on the untranslated version as well, so not a bug with the Translation. My bad. Thanks again though!

Last edited:
Did you test it without the translation?
EDIT: Apparently it happens with the untranslated version as well (someone else with a similar setup tested it) so not a translation bug. My bad.

Hmmm, good point. No, I haven't, I don't have the JP version (since I've been relying on the freaking awesome translation to play this super wonderful game). I have tried other games, different ones, some requiring ram cart, some on the SD, some on the SSD. However, the soft reset, Start+A, B, C twice works perfectly fine. So I think thats an acceptable alternative. I don't know WHAT it is, but, if theres a workable solution, no harm, no foul. Having a ton of fun my first time through this game, and I really appreciate the hard work Trekkies is putting in for us.

I'd report the issue to the MODE devs then. I personally do not have a MODE, only a Mod chipped system and a Satiator.
I did, yep, and it seems to be more of a MODE thing, and they put it on the list of things to work on. Thanks for getting back to me though Trekkies, this is my first time playing the game, and I'm loving it!!!

I noticed what appears to be a small glitch when loading between Luc Village and the God of Light Mountain for the second time when you fight the Garlyle Soliders. It's just a split second when some code appears on a black screen and then loaded. I thought it was hardly worth mentioning but i thought id share anyway.

Hello. Thanks for doing this translation!

I just registered to report a minor spelling mistake, where it says "it's" while it should be "its" without apostrophe:

View attachment 6837
In Canadian English, that apostrophe denotes a possessive. When it 'belongs' to something or is a part of something.

Its going to happen.

vs

The collar on the Dog is it's only harness.
~or~
That Sword is sharp! It's blade is honed well!

I wanted to thank you for all your remarkable work on getting the Saturn version translated. I've heard through the grapevine that there was some interest in possibly translating the Digital Museum as well, so I was also wondering if there was any merit to that, haha. I recently finished a playthrough of it and hunting down kanji online to translate item information made equipment management pretty interesting :p

In Canadian English, that apostrophe denotes a possessive. When it 'belongs' to something or is a part of something.

Its going to happen.

vs

The collar on the Dog is it's only harness.
~or~
That Sword is sharp! It's blade is honed well!
This is not true. In Canadian English, the apostrophe in this instance is used as a contraction for the phrase "it is". The person you are replying to is correct in that it should be "its". There are quite a number of instances throughout the English script in both the PS1 and HD versions where they use the incorrect word.

I wanted to thank you for all your remarkable work on getting the Saturn version translated. I've heard through the grapevine that there was some interest in possibly translating the Digital Museum as well, so I was also wondering if there was any merit to that, haha. I recently finished a playthrough of it and hunting down kanji online to translate item information made equipment management pretty interesting :p

This is not true. In Canadian English, the apostrophe in this instance is used as a contraction for the phrase "it is". The person you are replying to is correct in that it should be "its". There are quite a number of instances throughout the English script in both the PS1 and HD versions where they use the incorrect word.
Its actually both lol. Here: Here Are the Rules for Possessive Apostrophes if you can find where I'm wrong, and they're wrong, I'm completely open and would appreciate your insights. This is what I was taught in English, and if I've been doing it wrong, I'd be happy to know why if you don't mind.

Back