The big issue you will likely run into if you go down that path is running out of space on the CD. Saturn specs claim the most the saturn can read is 63 minutes (about 566MB of data). I dont know if larger cds work or not, or if there are compatibility issues between Saturns even if they do (no saturn retail game was made to exceed 63 minutes). Assuming you're stuck at 566MB -- The PCM data is raw and uncompressed, so thats going to take a bit of space. By editing the script you can squeeze in an additional 20 or so PCM files for longer audio segments. (01-99 are already taken, but files A0 to A9 and B0 to B9 are possible due to the way the filename is calculated based on script inputs). Then you will need to basically keep playing with the cinepak compression settings until you make some sort of compromise to fit within the space thats left. You might want to play with the cinepak encoding for now on the mac, figure out if its worth the hassle (its annoying), then wait for our final release to make your changes.
The SOE tutorial says there remains 635 MB (or 72.25 minutes) of usable space on a Saturn CD when excluding the outer security ring. If all this space is in mode 1, there's 2048 bytes for user data in each 2352 bytes sector. 72.25 x 2048 / 2352 = 62.91 minutes. This could explain the 63 minutes number they give.
Well, the ISO for Lunar is already 648MB; without the 2 audio tracks it's 540MB (although that includes the replaced WD tracks). I don't recall whether the audio tracks on the disc are used by the game or if they're just bonus content, but that could be extra space to gain, if necessary.
Thanks for the update! Can't wait for the SSSC MPEG sub versionStatus update for those wondering whats left to fix:
- Fix character flickering at end of battles (erase length suspect)
- Fix track 2 playing (toc fix suspected)
- Implement dialog corrections, thread over on lunarnet explains
- File load times are slower than original when the disc is rebuilt with mkisofs. Cause unknown.
- Dub version: Add audio and video. Debug why problems exist with certain files.
- Sub version: Add subtitled audio. Sub videos once video fix determined.
Lunar SSSC MPEG
- Determine how to mux in new mpeg videos for subtitled and audio for dubbed. MPEG-PS format mode 2 form 2 on cd.
- Dub version: Add audio and video. Debug if needed.
- Sub version: Add subtitled audio.
- Fix blank top spot for ocarina and rememberizer playback.
Currently working on MPEG edition video/audio....
Not by much though, are they? The largest ones I know still clock around 63-64 minute mark. Relatively far from the 70min/650MB limit.Which still seems odd since there's official games that go beyond that size limit.