Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

I don't have the complete ReDump set, but several hacks have far exceeded that threshold as well...

Attachments

• 2020-07-25 03_52_03-Saturn.png
    2020-07-25 03_52_03-Saturn.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 477
The size of the image doesn't directly correspond to size in frames on CD, since the payload per frame varies by track type. But I think it was a recommendation, akin to "safe" regions of the display, rather than a strict rule, since neither the software development standards nor the master CD-ROM release form documents makes any mention of it.

The big issue you will likely run into if you go down that path is running out of space on the CD. Saturn specs claim the most the saturn can read is 63 minutes (about 566MB of data). I dont know if larger cds work or not, or if there are compatibility issues between Saturns even if they do (no saturn retail game was made to exceed 63 minutes). Assuming you're stuck at 566MB -- The PCM data is raw and uncompressed, so thats going to take a bit of space. By editing the script you can squeeze in an additional 20 or so PCM files for longer audio segments. (01-99 are already taken, but files A0 to A9 and B0 to B9 are possible due to the way the filename is calculated based on script inputs). Then you will need to basically keep playing with the cinepak compression settings until you make some sort of compromise to fit within the space thats left. You might want to play with the cinepak encoding for now on the mac, figure out if its worth the hassle (its annoying), then wait for our final release to make your changes.

Well, the ISO for Lunar is already 648MB; without the 2 audio tracks it's 540MB (although that includes the replaced WD tracks). I don't recall whether the audio tracks on the disc are used by the game or if they're just bonus content, but that could be extra space to gain, if necessary.

Your reply led me to look deeper into the text dumps and now I see the csv shows when it calls a voiceload (thanks); I'm now trying to figure out how this relates to how long a file gets played...

Last edited:
^Bad way to start off here.

Anyway, finished extracting the Redump Sega Saturn set. I'm shocked that Doom is one of the largest Sega Saturn games.

Attachments

• 2020-07-31 09_56_23-redump (non-commercial personal use only licence).png
    2020-07-31 09_56_23-redump (non-commercial personal use only licence).png
    201.5 KB · Views: 268
The final version isnt out yet. There are no further plans for beta updates though. Release depends on how much free time we have and how fast things progress, so no estimate on when it will be done.

The SOE tutorial says there remains 635 MB (or 72.25 minutes) of usable space on a Saturn CD when excluding the outer security ring. If all this space is in mode 1, there's 2048 bytes for user data in each 2352 bytes sector. 72.25 x 2048 / 2352 = 62.91 minutes. This could explain the 63 minutes number they give.

The SOE tutorial says there remains 635 MB (or 72.25 minutes) of usable space on a Saturn CD when excluding the outer security ring. If all this space is in mode 1, there's 2048 bytes for user data in each 2352 bytes sector. 72.25 x 2048 / 2352 = 62.91 minutes. This could explain the 63 minutes number they give.

Which still seems odd since there's official games that go beyond that size limit.

Well, the ISO for Lunar is already 648MB; without the 2 audio tracks it's 540MB (although that includes the replaced WD tracks). I don't recall whether the audio tracks on the disc are used by the game or if they're just bonus content, but that could be extra space to gain, if necessary.

Lunar iso size is 618 MB, not 648.

I would like to thank you for what you are doing for us gamers!! That's a very difficult task to do, you are amazing guys.
I have one quick question, when the final translate happen, the game will be released as an .iso file???
Will it play on an emulatoror will it require to have a console? Thanks in advance!

Status update for those wondering whats left to fix:

Both Lunars
- Fix character flickering at end of battles (erase length suspect)
- Fix track 2 playing (toc fix suspected)
- Implement dialog corrections, thread over on lunarnet explains

Lunar SSS
- File load times are slower than original when the disc is rebuilt with mkisofs. Cause unknown.
- Dub version: Add audio and video. Debug why problems exist with certain files.
- Sub version: Add subtitled audio. Sub videos once video fix determined.

Lunar SSSC MPEG
- Determine how to mux in new mpeg videos for subtitled and audio for dubbed. MPEG-PS format mode 2 form 2 on cd.
- Dub version: Add audio and video. Debug if needed.
- Sub version: Add subtitled audio.
- Fix blank top spot for ocarina and rememberizer playback. (Fixed!)

Currently working on MPEG edition video/audio.... Audio insertion working, video updating/muxing requires more investigation.

Last edited:
Status update for those wondering whats left to fix:

Both Lunars
- Fix character flickering at end of battles (erase length suspect)
- Fix track 2 playing (toc fix suspected)
- Implement dialog corrections, thread over on lunarnet explains

Lunar SSS
- File load times are slower than original when the disc is rebuilt with mkisofs. Cause unknown.
- Dub version: Add audio and video. Debug why problems exist with certain files.
- Sub version: Add subtitled audio. Sub videos once video fix determined.

Lunar SSSC MPEG
- Determine how to mux in new mpeg videos for subtitled and audio for dubbed. MPEG-PS format mode 2 form 2 on cd.
- Dub version: Add audio and video. Debug if needed.
- Sub version: Add subtitled audio.
- Fix blank top spot for ocarina and rememberizer playback.

Currently working on MPEG edition video/audio....
Thanks for the update! Can't wait for the SSSC MPEG sub version :inlove:

Which still seems odd since there's official games that go beyond that size limit.
Not by much though, are they? The largest ones I know still clock around 63-64 minute mark. Relatively far from the 70min/650MB limit.

I think the whole limit was just there to avoid conflicts. Either with bad media/burners (cd burning was in its infancy at the time), or with one team sending in a game that goes over what fits on a CD due to conflicts with stuff like pregaps, different sector sizes per track, and so on. The build tools were more basic than what we have now, so they may have gotten over the limit, etc. A company could have used 90 audio tracks (one of the Mortal Kombat games actually does this), which would've added over a minute of pregap time alone which could've pushed things beyond the limit. And so on.

So they made a conservative size estimate instead.

One day I oughta test what's the maximum length of an audio disc a Saturn can still read fine, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it can read everything fine up to the 80min mark on 80min/700MB discs.

Thanks for the effort put into this. I played through Lunar in Japanese, many years ago. I checked my disk, and luckily it is V1.05. I will play this on a real Saturn with CDR. I am hoping to pick up an ODE soon, to play all these awesome fan translations!

So incredibly excited for the Lunar SSC MPEG, its awesome to see this all coming together. Seeing the Japanese Version's Cutscenes in MPEG was jawdropping.

Lunar SSSC MPEG
Shame you don't have source access. Would be better if you could add soft sub support instead... adding hardsubs obviously involves a lossy-lossy encode. Granted I'm gonna enjoy playing it on real hardware no matter what!

That isn't an issue with the cinepak version, since you're re-encoding regardless to get a better end result. I'm glad you guys (trekkies, I think it was?) found an older encoder with some advanced settings to help tweak things. Sometimes its hard to find best-grade encoders for ancient formats (well, except for MP3). I have an MPEG card but when I recommend this project to people the one I'll be pointing most of them to will be the cinepak one if they're playing on real hardware, so any improvements are very welcome.

Back