Translating Lunar Silver Star Story

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
209
Points
43
So I went through and converted all the PS1 voice samples, and oh boy are there some size issues. There's about 5-6 files that just absolutely will not fit into the Saturn's audio RAM as they are. Basically Working Designs really took a lot of liberties on some of these lines and drew them out. For example Ghaleon's death speech is about 25 seconds in the Japanese version, while it's been extended to a whopping 1:05 in the English version. This makes the clip almost a 1MB in size and there's no real way to trim it down or clip it from what I can see. On the PS1 this isn't much of a problem as the sound chip can play compressed samples, but on the Saturn this is going to be a big issue as samples have to be decompressed in memory last I checked.

Other issues are a bunch of additional sound effects added that bring clips like the other characters singing the "La-La" Song up to about 800K. Another is Luna and Alex's exchange getting on the boat. Lines for Nall were added in the English version as well as more lines between Alex and Luna to draw it out. This brings this file to about 520K.

Some of these I think can be worked around though. The Singing ones you could just stick with the Japanese clips or use the XSeed clips. The boat sequence could have Nall's bit and Alex's additional lines cut. But Ghaleon's death is going to be a real issue to deal with.

But I've attached the converted files either way. There's one I wasn't able to find the corresponding Japanese clip for, it's one of Ghaleon saying "Time to Die". I think it's a battle clip. It seemed to not be in the correct order in the PS1 audio files.
 

Attachments

Ms. Tea

New Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
42
Points
18
Age
34
Haven't posted in awhile, have I? Sorry about that. Things have been a little slow, but still ongoing. Been experimenting with decompiling the script into code; that could make it more flexible to edit and compile back into binary later, for example for non-English translations. Here's a short sample of the decompiler's output for one dialogue box:

Code:
(run-commands
  (show-portrait 0x39)
  (print-line "That's Luna, all right! I bet")
  (print-line "you're in for it now, Alex!")
  (print-line "She hates when you're late!")
  (control-code 0xFF 0x0)
  (control-code 0xFF 0x3)
  (control-code 0xFF 0xFF)
)
 

mario64

New Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2019
Messages
2
Points
3
Age
68
Hi Ms Tea. Just wanted you to know you have supporters who are following the project and can’t wait to play it :)
 

Ms. Tea

New Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
42
Points
18
Age
34
I didn't post it here but I have posted it elsewhere - I've been working with a friend on the FMVs to prepare them for the dub. Working Designs reedited several of the FMVs on the PS1 to accommodate their dialogue which runs longer than the Japanese version. These had to be reedited from scratch, using the PC version FMVs as a base, to get new masters to base the Saturn translations on. A friend did the editing, and I've used that as a basis for newly-encoded Cinepak and MPEG FMVs. Here's a couple of samples, at their full PC res side-by-side with the PS1 version.



I've still been working on the Saturn MPEG version's FMVs; it's very picky about what it will or won't accept. I've been making progress, but life stuff has kept me from being able to work on it for a few weeks. I haven't brought this up because there isn't anything pretty to show off yet. :)
 

vbt

Staff member
Joined
Dec 16, 2001
Messages
5,238
Points
63
Age
43
thanks Misty & still good progress , there is nothing easy with saturn even "standard" mpeg.
 

mario64

New Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2019
Messages
2
Points
3
Age
68
Thanks Ms Tea. Great to hear that progress is being made. Very much looking forward to playing this
 
Top