Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

Fantastic patch, guys! I played through the whole game on Mednafen and aside from a few hiccups that I'm not sure are an issue with Mednafen or not (as I do not have a Saturn myself - but that might change in the near future), everything is looking great so far. No crashes or anything, just a few moments where the boss theme cuts out and the sound is broken for a while. All in all, I can see this becoming my definitive way of playing the game once any lingering issues are ironed out/the sub version receives subtitles; coming from someone who grew up with and loved the Playstation version, the improved visuals and sound on the Saturn version blow it out of the water.

For reference, I played on Mednafen 1.26.1 as well, and ran into issues with broken sound, all seemingly related to points where the standard boss theme plays:

-at the Saline Slimer boss fight
-when you warp into Meribia and help Jessica fight off the Vile Tribe
-at the fight against the Vile Crustacean in Vane
-at the fight with the Black Dragon - I found that the Dark Songstress' song doesn't want to play here either even though it played just fine in Pao
-during the Gades miniboss fights in Althena's Fortress

I'm leaning towards this being a Mednafen issue if only because bishopcruz is using the same version of the emulator as me and I've tested the last two points using an unpatched image of the game and run into the same problem with the music cutting out and the sound becoming muffled in the Japanese version as well, the only difference being that the Dark Songstress' song does play before the Black Dragon fight on my Japanese image of the game in Mednafen.

I can't thank you guys enough for working on this patch, and I look forward to seeing future progress on it!

Thanks, ill take a note on the black songstress’ song just in case. Im going to be taking a bigger look at the sound driver (I need to in order to fix SSSC), so there may be more sound fixes to come. The sound during boss fights may be a mednafen issue, as we didnt change those.

Thanks, ill take a note on the black songstress’ song just in case. Im going to be taking a bigger look at the sound driver (I need to in order to fix SSSC), so there may be more sound fixes to come. The sound during boss fights may be a mednafen issue, as we didnt change those.
Checked with the Mednafen team and it looks like a bug in sound initialization on the title screen that somehow creates an issue in those particular fights. They know about the bug at least.

Having trouble burning the patched game to CD using img burn, or anything else really. Says I have a CDB error when I load up the Cue file. Never had this happen before.

Edit: After trying a bunch of different versions and ripping my copy a bunch of different ways finally got it working, had to use a cue + single bin format,I it booted and seemed to work well.

Last edited:
Looks like the latest Mednafen has fixed the sound error I mentioned before. If course, have my Pseudo Saturn Kai, but other fans might care. So good news all around.

I have been playing the dubbed version 1.5.1 in cue + single bin format on the TerraOnion M.O.DE. and have encountered a game crashing bug. When the boat is leaving Saith and the screen fades to black the game gets stuck with the music playing on a blank screen. I tried converting the bin + cue to a ccd file with SegaSaturnPatcher with no success as I encountered the same bug.

I have been playing the dubbed version 1.5.1 in cue + single bin format on the TerraOnion M.O.DE. and have encountered a game crashing bug. When the boat is leaving Saith and the screen fades to black the game gets stuck with the music playing on a blank screen. I tried converting the bin + cue to a ccd file with SegaSaturnPatcher with no success as I encountered the same bug.
Are you on the latest firmware? There havent been any crash reports from mode users on that sound sample yet, but im not sure who has played 1.5.1 with mode. The next time i work on the game im going to take a bigger look at the sound driver, there are some odd things going on. For now the easiest way to get past it is to save prior to the crash, load the game using the subtitle version or original jp version, save just past the crash, then run the dub version again and load your save. The saves are all compatible between versions.

Converted the cue + single bin to cue + bin + tracks using the latest SegaSaturnPatcher and that has solved the issue. I will let you know if I run into any more bugs on the M.O.D.E. Thank you Mr. Conan for all your hard work on this!

Hi there,

I just found out about this translation. I never played the Lunar games before mainly because the original Western localisation (based on from the screenshot I saw) didn't appeal to me. Is this a retranslation or as the original text from the 90' localisation been imported to this project?

Cheers

It's everything from the PSX Working Designs localizations and not a retranslation from the ground up.

All the typical dumb ass pop-culture references are there. The Sword descriptions have jokes about "how size matters". It's horrible.

It really is a shame.

The dub though is from XSeed's PSP version. So there is that. I believe @Mr Conan was working on retranslating a lot of the more egregious Working Designisms.
Yeah, one of the people on the project is looking at fixing some of the more ridiculous references. No timeline to give though because their free time and mine are pretty much zapped for now. If someone wants to do their own complete retranslanslation theyre welcome to have the jp text dump.

It's everything from the PSX Working Designs localizations and not a retranslation from the ground up.

All the typical dumb ass pop-culture references are there. The Sword descriptions have jokes about "how size matters". It's horrible.

It really is a shame.

Ouch, a shame indeed. Considering that this the the first project of it's kind decades after the game came out, guess it's not a very popular franchise if it got so little attention. Maybe someday we'll be fortunate enough to have better relocalisation of both this game and it's sequel.

Back