Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

Indeed. I'm not saying you're going to lose a lot, but taking a lossy source video and re-encoding it as a lossy video will lose a bit of quality. In theory you could use fancypants modern algorithms to boost "source" quality in both scenarios, but that brings its own issues. I'm looking forward to the MPEG version the most, myself.

We have higher quality sources for all three of those games. Sakura Wars we pulled from the PC release, Lunar Silver Star Story we used the PC release. Grandia I used either the PS1 videos or the HD Remaster videos if I could get away with it.

The only major game like this we don't have the higher quality sources for is Lunar 2, but that game technically has the potential to do Soft Subs.

Hi, I'm new here and after some help with the SSS English patch.

First off, great job so far, I'm really happy to finally be able to play the Saturn version of this game in English. However, I'm having trouble with regular and unpredictable crashes. I am running version 1.5.1 downloaded from here on a MK2 PAL Saturn (region modded, set to JAP) using a Phoebe card (so not a burned disc.)

I am roughly 4 hours into the game, and it has crashed about half a dozen times, so more often than the once every 30 hours mentioned a couple of pages ago. I was tolerating it up to now by saving regularly, but it now keeps crashing during the cave challenge before Vane, which as you probably know you can't save in, you have to restart and lose your progress. It has just crashed for a third time on this stage, this time on the boss, so I thought I'd post here.

The crashes/freezes can happen at any time, and usually during speech (not cut scenes.) Let me know if any more info is needed, or anything I can try. Thanks!

Hi, I'm new here and after some help with the SSS English patch.

First off, great job so far, I'm really happy to finally be able to play the Saturn version of this game in English. However, I'm having trouble with regular and unpredictable crashes. I am running version 1.5.1 downloaded from here on a MK2 PAL Saturn (region modded, set to JAP) using a Phoebe card (so not a burned disc.)

I am roughly 4 hours into the game, and it has crashed about half a dozen times, so more often than the once every 30 hours mentioned a couple of pages ago. I was tolerating it up to now by saving regularly, but it now keeps crashing during the cave challenge before Vane, which as you probably know you can't save in, you have to restart and lose your progress. It has just crashed for a third time on this stage, this time on the boss, so I thought I'd post here.

The crashes/freezes can happen at any time, and usually during speech (not cut scenes.) Let me know if any more info is needed, or anything I can try. Thanks!
Someone else will need to chime in, but I believe the game only supports 60hz (A region mod only patches the region, it doesn't change the output). Do you have a 50/60hz switch on your saturn (it's another type of mod)?

Someone else will need to chime in, but I believe the game only supports 60hz (A region mod only patches the region, it doesn't change the output). Do you have a 50/60hz switch on your saturn (it's another type of mod)?
Thanks, yes my Saturn has a switchless region mod and I am running the game in JAP 60hz.

I don't think I have any way of getting the save file off of the Saturn unfortunately. I do have one of those 4MB RAM & save cartridges which I can copy it to, but no way to get it off that. I don't think the Phoebe card has a feature to extract saves to an SD card.

I just read through the last few pages and I now think I have the same issue as everyone else is reporting, the last time it crashed as mentioned above was during a boss battle, and it was while Nall was reviving me. I also think the crash prior to that was on the map while some speech was playing. So almost certainly related to the length of the swapped English audio files.

I'm not sure how feasible this is but couldn't you make all audio files the same length to match the originals? For shorter clips leave silence on the end, for longer clips timestretch them to fit. Just an idea if reverse engineering the audio driver is not going to be a fast solution.

I just read through the last few pages and I now think I have the same issue as everyone else is reporting, the last time it crashed as mentioned above was during a boss battle, and it was while Nall was reviving me. I also think the crash prior to that was on the map while some speech was playing. So almost certainly related to the length of the swapped English audio files.
You might want to try this patch, it gave @Dakaru a more stable experience: Translating Lunar Silver Star Story

I should probably attempt that and fix the jp audio on the one mpeg cutscene. KoD made updates to the patcher to support it if i recall. I just never released another update after that so i havent tried to see if it works.
After playing the mpeg translated version for a while I noticed it’s not just the first scene that has JP audio. It’s actually all “in-game” dialogue that’s in JP. All cutscene dialogue is in English.

I tried patching my game, but I can't seem to burn it, every time I try I get an invalid cue parameter error, it's like the patcher just isn't putting proper track indexing in the created cue files.

After playing the mpeg translated version for a while I noticed it’s not just the first scene that has JP audio. It’s actually all “in-game” dialogue that’s in JP. All cutscene dialogue is in English.
Thats correct. For mpeg, the audio is in a single-file archive format unlike SSS. While i figured out the format, there are more issues beyond that for swapping audio in the mpeg version because there are crashes galore when i swap in the updated file. So for now the audio is the original jp. For the mpeg movies i went in and edited the audio tracks to the dub version. Someone in an earlier post noticed one of them still has the jp voice actor, but all they say is “luna” in that clip so its not the end of the world.

I tried patching my game, but I can't seem to burn it, every time I try I get an invalid cue parameter error, it's like the patcher just isn't putting proper track indexing in the created cue files.
Which game (mpeg or SSS), which patch, and what patcher version are you using?

I tried both, but I got around it on SSS by simply having it create an ISO instead of a bin/cue, and the iso seems to work just fine, so I guess no worries. :)

Not sure if this or the release thread is best to post this in. I also apologize if this is considered a necro. I've been emulating the 1.5.1 SSS version (with Japanese audio) of this game with mostly no issues, save for one which occurs in Meribia. The large tavern near the docks (the drunk is laying beside it) with all the bunny girls; there's a redhead girl on stage who sings when you interact with her. After her song plays, the game seems to be stuck in a silent loop waiting for Luna's dialogue, but nothing happens. I have tested this multiple times...I can offer save states and/or the SRM if need be. It isn't game-breaking, but I read the readme, read through some similar audio issues on here, and thought it'd be worth mentioning...

Not sure if this or the release thread is best to post this in. I also apologize if this is considered a necro. I've been emulating the 1.5.1 SSS version (with Japanese audio) of this game with mostly no issues, save for one which occurs in Meribia. The large tavern near the docks (the drunk is laying beside it) with all the bunny girls; there's a redhead girl on stage who sings when you interact with her. After her song plays, the game seems to be stuck in a silent loop waiting for Luna's dialogue, but nothing happens. I have tested this multiple times...I can offer save states and/or the SRM if need be. It isn't game-breaking, but I read the readme, read through some similar audio issues on here, and thought it'd be worth mentioning...
One of us reported this one to the mednafen devs, but it looks like they havent looked into it yet? Mednafen Forum: Bugs => Saturn Bug Reports. I believe we had reports that there are no issues on real hardware. Make sure youre running the latest version, i know they did report fixing other audio bugs in lunar.

One of us reported this one to the mednafen devs, but it looks like they havent looked into it yet? Mednafen Forum: Bugs => Saturn Bug Reports. I believe we had reports that there are no issues on real hardware. Make sure youre running the latest version, i know they did report fixing other audio bugs in lunar.
Many thanks for the response. Heeding your advice, it turns out I had not been running the latest Beetle core. Updated it, utilized the shared memory backup for the saves, and it works! Song of Death defeated. Thank you again.

Hey all, came back to this now that I had a Fenrir and ran into a freeze with the Dub version. I was in the woods by burg and Ramus died, then Nall tried resurrecting him, after the Nall voice, I heard luna for a second then the game froze. Is this a known bug, or just something random?

Back