Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

Have you tried the latest patch? We rev’d it to 1.5.1a to swap in some shorter voice samples that seemed to fix that issue

Hello all! Great work on the patch, I've been having a lot of fun playing the Saturn dub version -- I have a feeling I'm going to prefer this to the Sega CD/PSX/etc versions. I'm about to set up 1.5.1a and see if that fixes some issues I was having, but I wanted to mention a couple things.

I had also experienced some of the issues in the 1.5.1 dub that others had brought up; specifically, freezing/getting stuck in a loop at cutscene or voice triggers occasionally. It's happened so far at rescuing Nash from the trap, at bringing Luna on the ship to Meribia, and most recently at Nash pointing out Vane while you're on the overworld.

I might be imagining this, but one thing that seems like it helped with the Nash trap and Luna ship freezes was not mashing through the text immediately before the trigger. I didn't try to recreate the glitch more than a few times, but it seemed like when I mashed through the text it froze pretty reliably, but when I deliberately waited I didn't get either of the freezes.

edit: on Fenrir installed in a JP Saturn btw

Last edited:
Hello all! Great work on the patch, I've been having a lot of fun playing the Saturn dub version -- I have a feeling I'm going to prefer this to the Sega CD/PSX/etc versions. I'm about to set up 1.5.1a and see if that fixes some issues I was having, but I wanted to mention a couple things.

I had also experienced some of the issues in the 1.5.1 dub that others had brought up; specifically, freezing/getting stuck in a loop at cutscene or voice triggers occasionally. It's happened so far at rescuing Nash from the trap, at bringing Luna on the ship to Meribia, and most recently at Nash pointing out Vane while you're on the overworld.

I might be imagining this, but one thing that seems like it helped with the Nash trap and Luna ship freezes was not mashing through the text immediately before the trigger. I didn't try to recreate the glitch more than a few times, but it seemed like when I mashed through the text it froze pretty reliably, but when I deliberately waited I didn't get either of the freezes.

edit: on Fenrir installed in a JP Saturn btw
There is a definite buffer issue with the audio clip size that isnt resolved. In 1.5.1a we shrunk two of the clips iirc, which fixed battle issues. Let me know if the spoken dialog bugs still exist.

I haven't touched the latest Dub version yet of Lunar Silver Star Story, but can confirm the same issue on 2 of the 3 versions (Probably all 3 too) Regarding the Crystal Tower. During Luna and Ghaleon's dialogue both their avatars show up as a corrupted image. In the battle immediately afterwards; Luna has Alex's avatar. This is in both the Sub and MPEG versions. Also, in the dungeons or areas it only lists the name and never what floor you are on. (Save Screen) Otherwise, I finished the Sub version without any crashes (talked to every NPC in the game till they repeated and got all available items and bromides)

Here is that save file in the Crystal Tower right before.

Attachments

• 20230219_194654.jpg
    20230219_194654.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
  • 20230219_194701.jpg
    20230219_194701.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
  • 20230219_194728.jpg
    20230219_194728.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
  • 20230219_194850.jpg
    20230219_194850.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 117
  • 20230219_195136.jpg
    20230219_195136.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
1st crash of the MPEG edition. Crashes right after he coughs up Jess' Bromide 2. Still get it, but if you attempt to talk to him right after it crashes hard; to a black screen even.

Here is a copy of the save, right after receiving the Bromide.

Edit: A few pictures of the Rememberizer showing a few spelling errors.

Attachments

• 20230220_032029.jpg
    20230220_032029.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 130
  • 20230220_034502.jpg
    20230220_034502.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 116
  • 20230220_034702.jpg
    20230220_034702.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 112
  • 20230220_034811.jpg
    20230220_034811.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Like with Jess' Bromide 2 after getting Xenobia's Bromide talking to the NPC crashes the game too.

A copy of the save.

Here is the save at the start of the Epilogue.

I was able to get all 13 Bromides like with the Playstation version. I heard there was 1 less in this version, but its all here. Rememberizer and all.

Attachments

• 20230220_172536.jpg
    20230220_172536.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 20230220_135412.jpg
    20230220_135412.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
Hit my first freeze on 1.5.1a -- Nash pointing out Vane worked and so did everything afterwards until after the Crystal Tower battle; I got Phacia's bromide from the character in Althena's Shrine. I opened it up and boom, black screen; couldn't even do the abc+start reset. My save is right before the battle so I didn't lose too much progress, but I'll try again soon and see if the issue repeats.

I will say that I didn't experience any of the corrupted images in the pre-Crystal Tower fight dialogue that cww80 mentioned.

^ So maybe it's not an issue in the Dub version? Wonder what could be different? Guess I'll pause my first Grandia playthrough (Yes, ever!) and Check out the Dub version.

I play on a Japanese v0.5 console with Fenrir.

Last edited:
The sub and dub versions of SSS have identical scripts. SSSC mpeg is different because the script is larger, and its been playtested less. The only time so far that the dialogs showed up with corrupted images was when WD added an additional one that didnt exist in the game, and i reverted that one. The bad ID triggered a corrupt image to draw. No clue what might be causing it in this latest instance. I’m not likely to have a lot of free time in the near-term to take a look, but ill keep adding stuff to my queue.

I haven't touched the latest Dub version yet of Lunar Silver Star Story, but can confirm the same issue on 2 of the 3 versions (Probably all 3 too) Regarding the Crystal Tower. During Luna and Ghaleon's dialogue both their avatars show up as a corrupted image. In the battle immediately afterwards; Luna has Alex's avatar. This is in both the Sub and MPEG versions. Also, in the dungeons or areas it only lists the name and never what floor you are on. (Save Screen) Otherwise, I finished the Sub version without any crashes (talked to every NPC in the game till they repeated and got all available items and bromides)

Here is that save file in the Crystal Tower right before.
I want to say I probably should have joined this forum years ago, but joined now to reply to your post.

This bug in the Crystal Spire/Tower appears in the original physical Japanese releases in both the standard edition and MPEG and isn't caused by the translation efforts. I have experienced it in my playthroughs of the physical Japanese versions on original Saturns.

I'm making a very wild assumption but I believe the reason it occurs is that the moment you step into the chamber the game adds Luna into the party, but likely attempts to reference something that isn't currently in the party or some sort of garbage integer. When this occurs, it "shifts" everything over. For the game map it's garbage, and for the battle it's enough to shift Alex over to Luna's slot. I tried various versions of equipment for the characters (using warp wings can get you past the barrier on the first floor and Alex can keep his sword equipped), and regardless of what I do sometimes the garbage graphics come up and sometimes they do not.

Otherwise in my playthrough of the physical Japanese release I've never came across a similar error or crash (and you can actually complete the Saturn original quicker than the Working Designs PS1 release, as Working Designs artificially altered many aspects of that release to make the game "longer").

For curiosity sake I also have the English PS1 release and wanted to see if I could replicate the error there. I pulled my save file from that version, went to the Crystal Spire, and tried the same processes. Regardless of what I did I could never replicate the same error on PS1.

Nice find. I also use that Dragonfly Wing exploit. Wonder what mercurius_59 unintentionally did to avoid this bug? Maybe did the Crystal Tower without the exploit?

Attachments

• 20230224_140246.jpg
    20230224_140246.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
I want to say I probably should have joined this forum years ago, but joined now to reply to your post.

This bug in the Crystal Spire/Tower appears in the original physical Japanese releases in both the standard edition and MPEG and isn't caused by the translation efforts. I have experienced it in my playthroughs of the physical Japanese versions on original Saturns.

I'm making a very wild assumption but I believe the reason it occurs is that the moment you step into the chamber the game adds Luna into the party, but likely attempts to reference something that isn't currently in the party or some sort of garbage integer. When this occurs, it "shifts" everything over. For the game map it's garbage, and for the battle it's enough to shift Alex over to Luna's slot. I tried various versions of equipment for the characters (using warp wings can get you past the barrier on the first floor and Alex can keep his sword equipped), and regardless of what I do sometimes the garbage graphics come up and sometimes they do not.

Otherwise in my playthrough of the physical Japanese release I've never came across a similar error or crash (and you can actually complete the Saturn original quicker than the Working Designs PS1 release, as Working Designs artificially altered many aspects of that release to make the game "longer").

For curiosity sake I also have the English PS1 release and wanted to see if I could replicate the error there. I pulled my save file from that version, went to the Crystal Spire, and tried the same processes. Regardless of what I did I could never replicate the same error on PS1.
Thanks for the info. Iirc, there is a load face into VRAM command in the script. Might have something to do with when it is being called. Maybe theres some sequence that doesnt work every time? I’ll play around when i have the time and see whats going on.

Nice find. I also use that Dragonfly Wing exploit. Wonder what mercurius_59 unintentionally did to avoid this bug? Maybe did the Crystal Tower without the exploit?
Yep, I had Alex in there throwing hands the whole time, no exploit. Made for a bit of a pain having to let everyone throw fireballs with the fire staff to save MP for the boss fight, but nothing too terrible.

As an update, just got to Reza -- no game-triggered freezes since my last post, but every bromide I've tried (Phacia, Royce and Mia 1) has black-screened the game 5 times out of 5.

edit: as for other random/optional stuff, the men's hot spring worked OK and the Nall in-battle revive line ("しっかりしろ") worked a couple times

Last edited:
I finished the latest DUB version 1.5.1a and am happy to report there are no crashes. (for me) Outside of the issues already known, (Nash voice in Japanese during balloon engine destruction and again in Ruid) other than some spacing issues in text throughout. Very impressed with the enhanced video over the original version and of course having almost everything in english. I do really miss the original opening song from the Playstation and "Luna on the boat" plus John Truitts Ghaleon, but I recognize beggers can't be choosers.

Versus the PlayStation or Saturn version of Complete it's missing 3 bromides, the Rememberizer and the option of using Alex's Ocarina as a music player.

Thanks for all those involved with this. Never thought I'd get to play these in english on the Saturn.
I will of course play through them again, when new versions of the translation become available.

Last edited:
Took a break for a while and just got to the Blue Dragon shrine near Lyton. No crashes so far, but one note -- part of the sequence where they're summoning the Blue Dragon shrine (i.e. two lovers singing), I didn't hear any audio tracks for Alex's ocarina or Luna and the prisoners singing. This could be intended? but I feel like maybe not because there were the bad-sounding attempts from Kyle/Jessica and Nash/Mia.

Yep, I had Alex in there throwing hands the whole time, no exploit. Made for a bit of a pain having to let everyone throw fireballs with the fire staff to save MP for the boss fight, but nothing too terrible.

As an update, just got to Reza -- no game-triggered freezes since my last post, but every bromide I've tried (Phacia, Royce and Mia 1) has black-screened the game 5 times out of 5.

edit: as for other random/optional stuff, the men's hot spring worked OK and the Nall in-battle revive line ("しっかりしろ") worked a couple times
Is it crashing when accessing the bromides in your items? Or is it crashing when you try to talk to NPCs to receive the bromides?
The patch was created with v1.2 of the SSP patcher, and then i just went in and manually altered some audio files since the .ssp files are zip files. Its possible that may have impacted the proper relocation of some files...

I recall fixing the Blue Dragon Shrine issue a while ago by using the SSP patcher (instead of my old half-working utility). Thats the one point in a game where the audio is streamed from a CD audio track. So that may be hinting again that maybe all i need to do is rebuild the patch from scratch.

Is it crashing when accessing the bromides in your items? Or is it crashing when you try to talk to NPCs to receive the bromides?
The patch was created with v1.2 of the SSP patcher, and then i just went in and manually altered some audio files since the .ssp files are zip files. Its possible that may have impacted the proper relocation of some files...

I recall fixing the Blue Dragon Shrine issue a while ago by using the SSP patcher (instead of my old half-working utility). Thats the one point in a game where the audio is streamed from a CD audio track. So that may be hinting again that maybe all i need to do is rebuild the patch from scratch.
It was crashing when I accessed the bromides in my items, I guess while attempting to load the short clip that plays. I picked up Jess 2 and Mia 2 recently, I'll try those as well.

Managed to get all the way to Laike's reveal and the approach to Althena's Fortress without any other issues; unfortunately, I've got another 10-15 minutes of cutscenes to chew through because I hit a lock during the Nall flying cinematic when Kyle says the line "Holy mother of places" -- it didn't freeze actually, but it started looping the last few seconds of audio/video when the cutscene reached that line.

My save is back in Meribia, but I *might* be able to get a closer save when Alex gets ready to pull the sword out of Dyne's memorial? We'll see, I guess. (edit: nope, Nall isn't in the party, can't save without him)

Edit 2: Got the loop to repeat two more times; Kyle says "Holy mother of places, can this thing be any bigger?", then it repeats the line ad infinitum with the "holy" part cut off. Also repeated the bromide load failure with Jess 2 and Mia 2.

Last edited:
It was crashing when I accessed the bromides in my items, I guess while attempting to load the short clip that plays. I picked up Jess 2 and Mia 2 recently, I'll try those as well.

Managed to get all the way to Laike's reveal and the approach to Althena's Fortress without any other issues; unfortunately, I've got another 10-15 minutes of cutscenes to chew through because I hit a lock during the Nall flying cinematic when Kyle says the line "Holy mother of places" -- it didn't freeze actually, but it started looping the last few seconds of audio/video when the cutscene reached that line.

My save is back in Meribia, but I *might* be able to get a closer save when Alex gets ready to pull the sword out of Dyne's memorial? We'll see, I guess. (edit: nope, Nall isn't in the party, can't save without him)

Edit 2: Got the loop to repeat two more times; Kyle says "Holy mother of places, can this thing be any bigger?", then it repeats the line ad infinitum with the "holy" part cut off. Also repeated the bromide load failure with Jess 2 and Mia 2.
is it randomly doing that in the cutscene? Works sometimes but others not? Or is it a hard fail?

I’ll add to my notes to debug whatevers going on with bromides.

Anyone else on other odes or cdr notice these issues?

Very strange, I had none of these issues with my playthrough. Not saying they don't exist obviously. I use Fenrir.

Back