Trouble Burning Dracula X

Hey Guys,

Ok, so I got the ISO/MP3 of Dracula X from the italian site. I converted the tracks to WAV, used the cue file posted on this board, burned at a 1x using fireburner, and ended up getting a coaster. When I put the disc in the Duo, it tries to access it and makes a wierd whirring noise. I tried burning it under Nero as well, same result. What am I doing wrong? I'm also using Office Depot Cdrs, but does it matter with the Duo? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*Bump*

Ok, I've had it up to here with burning Turbo isos!! I need help! I've downloaded a reliable ISO of a turbo game and tried to burn it but ended up with a coaster. Could someone post a step-by-step guide on how to burn a turbo iso, please? What software and configurations should I use? Thanks again.

The #1 easiest way to get around the BS is to get a bin/cue image and burn SAO or DAO. SCD/Duo is extremely picky about disc layout (I'm guessing the particular killer is the location of the mirrored data track), to the point that the samples added by the decoding pipeline in typical MP3 decoders can throw it off. Harry Tuttle (the webmaster of the old-school ROM site The Dump did a whole lot of work to try to automate the MP3 decoding and fixup to align everything correctly, but Konami politely asked him to shut down the project.

Ok, I fixed the problem. The duo has a weak laser. Flip it over, boom no problems.

So... anyone know how to replace a duo laser??

Good question. There was some speculation that they were planning to release a Dracula/Castlevania anthology, but that hasn't materialized so it looks like they were just doing it to keep that option open and/or because they could.

Replying to an old topic, but I'm having a lot of trouble burning PC Engine ISOs myself. Typically I burn something and the game mostly works, but I get lots of missing sound, sound played too early or late (easy to notice on Valis--it's the only game where the audio's synchronized to the lip movement), and sometimes, a game just resetting when it tries to play a track.

I get the impression that it's very hard to make a cue sheet for a game that will reliably work and that you can't just rip a game and automatically get a cue sheet with all the pregaps and everything else right--is this correct? Some games seem to have several different cue sheets floating around.

Is it at all possible to consistently burn a PC Engine ISO and get a disk that works perfectly in real hardware?

(Oh, I'm burning on Linux, but seeing as everyone on the net seems to have trouble burning these, I don't think Linux is the problem here.)

Hmm, well, Dracula X is the only PCE game that I've burned, but IIRC I did it under Linux using cdrdao. However, I haven't tried it with real hardware. Basically, I did the same thing that I do with SCD games (which do seem to work perfectly on real hardware)... I used gtoaster and just dropped the files into the track dialog in order. However, I have read that some PCE titles are tricky to get working; your best bet for perfect burns is to use the bin/cue rips that are floating around on the net (I believe the RIGG did quite a few). However, you won't be able to burn those correctly in Linux, so you'll have to either dual-boot or find a Windows machine to use them on.

Originally posted by it290@Jun 26, 2004 @ 01:51 AM

Hmm, well, Dracula X is the only PCE game that I've burned, but IIRC I did it under Linux using cdrdao. However, I haven't tried it with real hardware. Basically, I did the same thing that I do with SCD games (which do seem to work perfectly on real hardware)... I used gtoaster and just dropped the files into the track dialog in order. However, I have read that some PCE titles are tricky to get working; your best bet for perfect burns is to use the bin/cue rips that are floating around on the net (I believe the RIGG did quite a few). However, you won't be able to burn those correctly in Linux, so you'll have to either dual-boot or find a Windows machine to use them on.

When you say that bin/cue doesn't burn properly in Linux, do you just mean there's no utility that understands the cue file format? (I used cue2toc at cue2toc.sourceforge.net) Or is there some other, more basic, problem?

Hmm no, you might be okay with cue2toc, I wasn't aware of that util. And, of course, you could do it by hand, as well. I was just thinking of cdrdao and its inability to really parse cue files.

cddrdao can use cuesheets directly anyway, but the tocfile format has a cleaner layout and is more expressive. Anyway, you run into some problems with PC Engine layouts in general:

- MP3 encoders/decoders can add/remove samples from a track because MP3 is designed for streaming and not as an archival format.

- Burning track-at-once instead of session-at-once (a lot of people mistakenly refer to SAO as DAO; AFAICT most burners and software do not actually support DAO) leaves linking sectors that wreck the layout (this also happens on Dreamcast discs, but it's pretty easy to fix with homebrew stuff)

- Pregaps/postgaps are tricky - sometimes the ripping software doesn't record them correctly in the layout file, and sometimes burning software or burner firmware make their own rules regarding gaps, leading to a wrecked layout.

Do Sega CDs have the same problems?

And specifically for PCEs, has anyone tried to burn Space Fantasy Zone off of zeograd.com? There's no cue file at all there; someone posted one in the forums, but it gave me some problems. (Could the MP3 samples problem be solved with an appropriate cue sheet that specified the track length?)

[Edit: removed the quote; no need for it]

Back