USB Downloading Device for Sega Saturn

Hello,

After a recent Action Replay Cartridge failure (in which I lost every game-save I ever had), I decided to design and build a USB based device which would allow me to upload/download gave-saves to the Saturn. I am a couple months away from completion of this DataLink device. When I am finished with the testing phase, I will offer to build these for anyone interested. I tried to make this device as inexpensive as possible, but the price will probably be around $50. The USB components especially are expensive in such small quantities. Anyway, I have put up a preliminary website for the Saturn USB DataLink device:

http://members.aol.com/gameofyou1/SaturnPAR.html

I will post again when my testing is completed.

ExCyber said:
What USB device(s) are you using?

I am using a module from FTDI, so that I don't need surface mount assembly equipment.

BTW, I finished coding and testing for the game-save transfer functions & it all works! I can get the game-saves from the Saturn over the USB link and save them to the harddrive. Then I can erase the Saturn memory, and transfer the game-saves back by using the harddrive file.

Now I just have to add the software for downloading homebrew games...

scott21 said:
any chance of the ability to dump the system bios?

Yes, this would definately be possible to do. The first version of software will not have this capability. Maybe a future version release will......

gameofyou1 said:
Hello,

After a recent Action Replay Cartridge failure (in which I lost every game-save I ever had), I decided to design and build a USB based device which would allow me to upload/download gave-saves to the Saturn. I am a couple months away from completion of this DataLink device. When I am finished with the testing phase, I will offer to build these for anyone interested. I tried to make this device as inexpensive as possible, but the price will probably be around $50. The USB components especially are expensive in such small quantities. Anyway, I have put up a preliminary website for the Saturn USB DataLink device:

http://members.aol.com/gameofyou1/SaturnPAR.html

I will post again when my testing is completed.

OK, I have now completed the software and testing for downloading Homebrew games to the Saturn. I can now make these for whoever wants one. Just send me an email (there's a link on the webpage).

sorry little off topic but would it ever be possible to have some type of neoflash cartridge to play games off of, or is this not possible with the saturn platform?

scott21 said:
any chance of the ability to dump the system bios?

I have made an update to the Saturn USB DataLink software. It may be downloaded from GamingEnterprisesInc.com. The new version (V1.0.3) will allow you to save your Saturn's BIOS to your PC harddrive.

I have also began adding some Saturn game-save files which are available for download. I will add more as I get time.

Back