VGA Box

racketboy

Member
I'm thinking about getting a VGA box for my DC.

Who here has one?

I know the video quality is way better, but what is your setup with the monitor?

Do you use the same monitor as your PC?

If so, do you just manually switch back and forth?

Is there some hardware that makes switching easier?
 

Dyne

New Member
i have the naki adapter. i dont play my dc as much as id like because there is no pass thru and i have to unhook the monitor whenever i want to use the other. so its kind of a pain in the ass. and i refuse to use a normal tv after playing my games thru VGA.
 

MasterAkumaMatata

Staff member
I have both a VGA cable and a VGA adapter. My VGA adapter has the PC passthrough feature (i.e., turn on DC and monitor displays DC; turn off the DC and the monitor reverts back to PC display). I got it from LevelSix a while back when they had it in stock. I don't have the VGA adapter hooked up to my PC monitor anymore as I hardly play my DC nowadays. When I did have it hooked up, I played Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue on it. Grandia II on VGA is really something to behold. :)
 

racketboy

Member
Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Sep 8, 2003 @ 08:40 PM

I have both a VGA cable and a VGA adapter. My VGA adapter has the PC passthrough feature (i.e., turn on DC and monitor displays DC; turn off the DC and the monitor reverts back to PC display). I got it from LevelSix a while back when they had it in stock. I don't have the VGA adapter hooked up to my PC monitor anymore as I hardly play my DC nowadays. When I did have it hooked up, I played Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue on it. Grandia II on VGA is really something to behold. :)
That model would be perfect for me.

What brand or whatever was it?

looks like this one is in stock
 

antime

Extra Hard Mid Boss
Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Sep 8, 2003 @ 11:40 PM

Grandia II on VGA is really something to behold.
Yep, especially when you turn the resolution up on the PC version.

I have an old monitor that I set up when playing on the DC.
 

stack99

Member
all this talk has made me want one... lol I am going to get one, for those interested there are some cheap ones online, under 15 bucks, but there is always shipping to be counted for. I am sure too, that liksang probably has em in stock too.

:cheers
 
Just make sure it's a dc vga box, and not a vga box for just all systems. No point in using one of those since it's just converted graphics... while the dc vga box is actually useful.
 

ShadowofBob

New Member
I have a Performance VGA box that I've had for 3 1/2 years and it has worked great for me. I use the passthrough feature all the time and it is handy for when I test games with my BBA. I'd definately get one since the games will look a lot more sharp, clear, and distinguished(except most 2d fighters, Guilty Gear X being the acception to the rule) than on a TV. And if you happen to get HDTV you can use the VGA box to connect to that.
 

racketboy

Member
Originally posted by ShadowofBob@Sep 11, 2003 @ 03:55 AM

I have a Performance VGA box that I've had for 3 1/2 years and it has worked great for me. I use the passthrough feature all the time and it is handy for when I test games with my BBA. I'd definately get one since the games will look a lot more sharp, clear, and distinguished(except most 2d fighters, Guilty Gear X being the acception to the rule) than on a TV. And if you happen to get HDTV you can use the VGA box to connect to that.
I'll definately be picking one of these up then.

Should I go with LevelSix? or someone else?
 

stack99

Member
racket, check ebay, I just got one for 9 bucks with like 2 dollar shipping, and there were a bunch like that, just FYI...

:cheers
 

racketboy

Member
Originally posted by stack99@Sep 11, 2003 @ 11:33 PM

racket, check ebay, I just got one for 9 bucks with like 2 dollar shipping, and there were a bunch like that, just FYI...

:cheers
is it a good model? can you give me a link to the one you got (if you're completely happy with it, that is)
 

stack99

Member
will do, once I get it, just won it the otherday (and still haven't got it), as soon as I get it I will give you a full report...lol, model etc.
 

it290

Member
I've got the Naki one as well. It works nicely, it doesn't have a passthrough, but it does have a switch so you can have it hooked up to your TV (S-Video or composite) and monitor at the same time, and switch between them. It also has RCA audio jacks so you can hook up some long cables for your stereo or whatever and a headphone jack. The way I have mine setup is on a table next to 2 15 inch monitors, one of which has built in speakers. The other monitor is laying on its side so that I can play Ikaruga or Gunbird 2 whenever I want just by switching the cord. It's a nice setup, but it does take up a little room. ;)
 

mal

Member
I just got a Hais VGA box. I took it and one of my DCs to work.

There are no TVs there, but plenty of PCs. ;)
 

stack99

Member
I got mine in, FINALLY!!!!! It is the Naki version, and its soooooooooooooooo sweeet, I have it at my job, to play stuff on my lunch break... sweeeet. I don't have a link yet, but am currently checking for one, and will post soon -- rack

otherwise I would say go and get one, its more than worth it, and you should be able to find a cheap one on ebay.

:cheers
 

racketboy

Member
ok two things I'm also going to be looking into are:

1) Durability

2) No loss of display quality when switched back to PC when using pass-though

How's yours?
 
Top