VGA Box

The Toshiba 30HF83 has a DVI input, if I used a standard DVI/VGA Adapter would a DC VGA Adapter still work?

Only if it's a DVI-I or DVI-A input. Toshiba's spec sheet doesn't mention what type of DVI it is, though I'd expect that it is DVI-I because it's a CRT. You might want to have a look at the illustration at the bottom of this page.

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 19, 2004 @ 02:02 PM

I'm still trying to find a VGA box that allows both my PC and DC to be hooked up at the same time and switch between the two. I don't want to have to swap cables all the time. The only display I have in my apartment is my CRT monitor. (I'm going minimalistic) :)

Can anybody pass along a good link?

Not sure if you can afford it, but another option would be to get one of those CRT monitors that accepts two VGA inputs in the back and has a built in switch in the front. My current monitor is like that: Sony CPD-G520P 21" flat display Trinitron :)

This is so confusing. can someone dummify this for me please?

Here's my situation: have 51" HDTV projection TV.

Have 6mo old dell laptop (i know i have a vga something or other on the back of it, i just dont know if its female or male)

I would like to hook up my DC to either of these for the best possible picture. i have been using s-video since '99.

Is there a component cable for DC? or a converter that let you adapt VGA to component?

Please help!!

Oh god looks like I have to clean up this mess.

A DC can output only THREE(3) types of video signals: composite, s-video and VGA. (Yes there is RF but the device itself does the conversion.) It can output the first two at the same time OR the third one by itself. DC IS NOT CAPABLE OF COMPONENT OUTPUT.

A VGA cable has no inlike boxes or stuff. It's basically the DC plug on one end and a VGA plug and audio plugs on the other.

A VGA BOX has a VGA plug AND a composite plug (and normally a s-video plug unless it's REALLY cheap). For the audio it has normally a regular 1/8" headphone jack and the normal RCA style L/R audio plugs. All VGA boxes have a switch that can be set to either VGA or Video modes. In VGA mode the DC outputs only on the VGA plug and in Video mode it outputs on the composite and s-video plugs. NEVER CAN IT DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. The switch must be selected BEFORE the DC is powered on, switching it after normally causes the system to lock up.

For the best picture quality avoid the pass-through VGA boxes and instead get a quality KVM switch. This way you can set the PC and DC as two different sources and can switch back and forth at will. (It also means you don't have to turn off the DC to use the PC again, usefull if you're using a strategy guide or something.)

There are VGA (or more precisely RGB) to component convertors...but their image quality is questionable. VGA is basically progressive scan RGB. So any convertor that can take progressive scan RGB and convert it to component will work. Your TV of course has to be able to take progressive scan component video.

I have yet to see any laptop that has VGA input. The plug on the back of ALL laptops is for letting you use a regular monitor instead of the laptops screen. IT DOES NOT WORK THE OTHER WAY.

Ok I was looking at this thread as I amn going to try making a setup that will work with this.

Reading all this stuff... still confused on exactly what to get lol

I have here an ebay link to kvm swotches as someone highly recommended those.

Which of these models would be the one to get for hooking a DC to a monitor that my pc is hooked to. I want to avoid having to switch things when I want to go from DC to computer. I understand I will have to power off my DC :)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...itle=kvm+switch

If those are not what I need what should I be looking for? If you know an exact name or brand that will work and I will try and scoop one up

Thanks in advance guys

but vga boxes dont actually increase the resolution, so arent you all just thinking that it looks better because the pizels are smaller and less noticeable on a smaller screen?

OR, have i been misinformed, and the vga box actually increases the resolution?

also confused about how an s-video is supposed to make everything look better, since it certainly cannot increase the resolution. i've heard that the only noticeable effect it has is to reduce the 'checkerboard' effect somewhat. again, am i wrong?

Originally posted by nerdocalypse@Fri, 2006-03-17 @ 08:00 AM

but vga boxes dont actually increase the resolution, so arent you all just thinking that it looks better because the pizels are smaller and less noticeable on a smaller screen?

also confused about how an s-video is supposed to make everything look better, since it certainly cannot increase the resolution. i've heard that the only noticeable effect it has is to reduce the 'checkerboard' effect somewhat. again, am i wrong?

[post=145140]Quoted post[/post]​

On every other system that is true, but the Dreamcast has native VGA support (with the adapter needed), so the picture will look just like they the games are running natively on a PC.

Originally posted by nerdocalypse@Fri, 2006-03-17 @ 03:00 AM

[post=145140]Quoted post[/post]​

well with higher quality connections you make the image sharper. s-video is the bare minimum if you care about image quality. rf < composite < s-video < component < vga < dvi < hdmi.

Connect a PSX to your TV with composite video, and let it get to the main menu (CD player, memory cards).

Now switch it to S-Video.

If you can, now switch it to RGB.

The menu has several high-saturation colors next to each other. Connections of lesser fidelity will have a color bleeding and blurriness.

Back