What do you think the most overrated game(s) is?

That's because they are depending too much on story now instead of gameplay. That's what movies are for...

Although I agree, it's not like the older console RPGs were that different. Take FF1 for example.. the gameplay was basically just 'press button...press button...press button.. walk through dungeon in which you could not possibly get lost...press button..press button..'. The newer FFs offer a lot more in the gameplay department; it's just the stupid stories that drive me nuts (and the linearity, but that's a whole different story).

And M3d10n, if you hated NWN (as I did), steer well clear of KOTOR. It's basically the same game with prettier graphics and a Star Wars facelift. It even uses the same crappy D&D rules as a base. I tried it out because of all the hype, but got bored after a couple of hours. Maybe the story gets better after a while, but since I didn't give a shit about the characters, I didn't bother to find out. Same problem as NWN. Come to think of it, I've never really liked any Bioware games other than MDK1/2 and the Baldur's Gate games. I would say Bioware is overrated in general.

Originally posted by Rorscach+Tue, 2004-12-07 @ 11:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rorscach @ Tue, 2004-12-07 @ 11:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>You know what i haven't seen in a while? A good RPG. :D

[post=125453]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Originally posted by racketboy@Tue, 2004-12-07 @ 11:28 PM

That's because they are depending too much on story now instead of gameplay. That's what movies are for...

[post=125454]Quoted post[/post]​

But RPG's never had good gameplay - as it290 cunningly states! :p

<!--QuoteBegin-it290
@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 01:08 AM

Although I agree, it's not like the older console RPGs were that different. Take FF1 for example.. the gameplay was basically just 'press button...press button...press button.. walk through dungeon in which you could not possibly get lost...press button..press button..'.

[post=125471]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Seriously, there are games which are designed for great gameplay (classic example, shmups), and there are games which have utter crap gameplay and need something else to provide reason for playing the game: stories. RPG's fall into this category. As do Digital Comics (see Snatcher), and to a lesser extent, Adventure games (see Monkey Island). The best genre (from these three above) for story-telling is the Digital Comic, no contest. The best genre (from these three above) for gameplay is Adventure. RPG's sit in the middle of the two...

[/off-topic]

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 01:08 AM

And M3d10n, if you hated NWN (as I did), steer well clear of KOTOR. It's basically the same game with prettier graphics and a Star Wars facelift. It even uses the same crappy D&D rules as a base. I tried it out because of all the hype, but got bored after a couple of hours. Maybe the story gets better after a while, but since I didn't give a shit about the characters, I didn't bother to find out.
[post=125471]Quoted post[/post]​

I was also rather mellow with the game when I started playing. I didn't care too much for the combat or the story, really. I just wanted to confirm that yes, the story does get MUCH better later on. The game had totally redeemed itself in my eyes by the time I had finished.

So, in conclusion, I think it's worth playing through. :cheers

By the way, did you get HK-47 yet? I can't imagine how anyone could not like him. :D

No. I'm at the point where you have to get past the big creature in the sewers. Maybe I'll give it another go, but let me ask you this - is the game worth playing for someone who doesn't really care about the Star Wars franchise one way or the other?

I would say yes.

I'm hardly a huge fan of the series. I enjoyed the original triliogy, and will see Episode III in hopes that Lucas will be able to redeem the other two, but that's about the extent of my fandom. The story has nothing to do with the Star Wars canon, so I don't think being a fan is necessary to enjoy it.

I would definitely keep playing at least until you get off Taris (if I'm remembering the name quickly). The game gets much more fun once you get some force powers.

Back