What is your preferred saturn pad?

What is your preferred saturn pad out of the standard model1/2 pads?

I know the majority of people prefer the newer model 2 pads (the thinner ones), but my personal favourite pads are the old chunky controllers.

The usual criticism of the old pads is that the shoulder buttons are unresponsive and that the d-pad hurts your thumb after a while. I personally don't have a problem with either the shoulder buttons or the d-pad, infact, i prefer the d-pad on the old pad because i feel its easier to use, especially with fighting games that require smooth directional motions. Overall, i simply prefer the feel of the old pad in my hands.

So, am i alone in thinking that the old pad is the better pad? What is your favourite pad?

what's the difference. I've got a pad and have no idea what model it is. Any pictures?
smile.gif

I like both of them to some degree. The old controller's d-pad has a nice feel to it. And if not for the fact that everything else on it feels cheap, it wouldn't be a bad controller. The newer controller feels solid, the buttons feel responsive, just too bad they changed the d-pad.

Cyber Warrior X

I like the model 1 controller best... mine feels 'solid' and i like the 'shoulder' buttons & d-pad a lot better than on the model 2...
smile.gif
I think it just fits better in my hands....

I've never used a model 1 pad, but I think the model 2 pad is great.

I do use my 3D pad 99% of the time though because I like it even more.
biggrin.gif

I've got my eye on a pair of the wireless Japanese model 2 pads.. They look pretty tasty. Even though the Saturn's the only Sega console that doesn't really need wireless pads because the leads are fairly long. I've lost count of the amount of times I've yanked my Megadrive or DC across the room by accident.

I like the Model 2 pad the best, no other pad is as good for playing Street Fighter
smile.gif

Incidentally, the Model 2 pad is actually the Model 1 Pad - it launched with the Saturn in Japan. The 'Model 1' pad as we are calling it was designed exclusively for the west, and launched with the Saturn in Europe and the USA. When the Model 2 Saturn launched in the west, the pad was changed to match the original Japanese one. I think the same thing will happen with the Xbox once they run out of those horrible giant pads they pack in in the west.

I have a model 1 and a model 2 pad. I prefer the model one because it does have a smoother pad but also because the back of the controller fits nicely into my palms.

This is going to sound like bullshit, but there's a "High Performer" generic brand of controller that beats (imho) both model 1 and model 2. It's got the shape of model 2 (roughly) but the d pad feels softer somehow. I found it much easier to pull off street fighter-esque moves than either of the generic pads.

Of course, the overall fave in my hands for fighting games is the ascii stick. And the overall fave controller would have to be the analog nights pad.

Originally posted by chainsmoker@Oct. 09 2002, 11:57 am

This is going to sound like bullshit, but there's a "High Performer" generic brand of controller that beats (imho) both model 1 and model 2. It's got the shape of model 2 (roughly) but the d pad feels softer somehow. I found it much easier to pull off street fighter-esque moves than either of the generic pads.

Is this the pad you're talking about?

Kiki

No.. Sheesh, I wish I had a pic. It's black. I'll probably take a picture and upload it tonight just because I don't like loose ends.
smile.gif

It might say "High Frequency" or something. It says something ridiculously stupid on it.

SaturnHF.jpg
High Frequency (30 KB)

Here it is. If you see one, give it a shot. I loved the little generic bastard.

Edit: Smaller pic now. Old pic can still be found here. -MasterAkumaMatata

Back