What video games are you playing at the moment?

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Jun 14, 2004 @ 01:18 PM

Just started up Illusion of Gaia for SNES...pretty decent so far.

lol :lol: memories. that games alright. it kept my attention long enough to beat it.

AKA Illusion of Time

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

I fucking LOVE this game!

It's all I've been playing the last couple days (although I got in some VF here and there :D )

Super Metroid - SNES

Comix Zone - Genesis

Knuckles Chaotix - 32x

I haven't been playing nearly as many videogames as I should this summer. I've got to focus. :damn:

I've been playing a lot of Advance Guardian Heroes, Unreal Tournament 2004, and a bit of Warcraft III over LAN.

I currently playing Grim fandango. It a great game, but it should have been point and click instead of the clumsy control system it uses.

Silent Hill 4: The Room (Xbox)

Very, very different from the first three games. I'm a little over half-finished, and I don't really have an opinion yet.

Forbidden Siren PS2; Cool so far,

XII Stag; I was expecting more, plus i hate games that automatically give you unlimited credits.

Psyvariar 1; Great soundtrack and inspired gameplay but lacking aesthetically.

Alien Soldier; Brilliant

Die Hard Vendetta; Luckily i didnt pay much for this title

Dangun Feveron; Cool Soundtrack, great game

Plus i am waiting for my weekly famitsu to arrive so i can play the Biohazard 4 demo

Ohhhhh, my god... im playing Fable and it is uber addicting. im also playing Silent Hill 4 and Chronicles of Riddick... im going all out with my XBOX.

Planescape. Quality.

Don't you hate it when you get ADDICTED to a game that's just, well...to avoid vulgarity, not really any good? I'm hooked on FFX-2 and it's utter rubbish. I know it is. But there's something so extremely satisfying in getting the girls new abilities...yes, I know it lacks the love of CT or the polish of FF6, but its so freaking entertaining! Or is it just the lady luck costume... :drool:

That said, Viewtiful Joe (for the 6th time round...), Second Sight (meh...), and a smidgin of Mario Kart: DD. Best of the series. Hands down. Except that Yoshi's course. I still HATE IT. :damn:

Originally posted by Rorscach@Oct 6, 2004 @ 08:58 AM

Don't you hate it when you get ADDICTED to a game that's just, well...to avoid vulgarity, not really any good? I'm hooked on FFX-2 and it's utter rubbish. I know it is. But there's something so extremely satisfying in getting the girls new abilities...yes, I know it lacks the love of CT or the polish of FF6, but its so freaking entertaining! Or is it just the lady luck costume... :drool:
[post=120501]Quoted post[/post]​

Not that I'm saying FFX-2 is an RPG (since I haven't played it), I will proceed with my mini-rant which was spurred from the first sentence in the quote above. It just so happens that the first genre that sprung to mind was the RPG genre - now how above that! ;)

This is the question you face when you choose to begin an RPG: "Do I want to spend hours upon hours killing stuff just so I can level up my character (and learn new skills from leveling up), so I can beat that boss up ahead?". The sad fact is that all RPG's are like this and is a strong factor in why I dislike the RPG genre as a whole. What's worse is the fact that you get addicted to RPG's very easily, which once it has a hold on you, wont be easily thrown away. So you'll spend lets say 40 hours of walking around and killing stuff, and at the end of it, (when you finally ditch the goddamn thing), all that time you spend on it was completely wasted, (unless the game truly had the utter bomb of a storyline) - you haven't improved at all skill-wise (how can you get better at a game which only requires you to choose an option eg. "attack"). The only thing you can possibly gain from an RPG is a good story.

So yes Rorscach, I do hate it when I get addicted to a game which is pure crap. I hate it so much, that I even get depressed after realising what a waste it, in reality, was. And there are 1000's more words I could add to the defence of the "What are RPG's good for?" and "What determines whether a game is an RPG?" arguments, but this is the "What video games are you playing at the moment?" thread so I'll leave it at that ;)

.. and speaking of games I'm currently playing: beatmania iidx, ddr, last blade and tetris..

Not all RPGs require you to level up for hours on end, although I wish more did, because lately most RPGs have been far too easy. Also, if the RPG has a good battle system you will get more out of it than a good storyline - you'll also be doing some strategic thinking, far beyond the simple 'attack' that you mentioned. Besides, does anyone really play games in order to improve their skills? I mean, I guess playing After Burner might improve your fighter pilot skills or something, but DDR sure as hell isn't going to improve your dancing skills, and Last Blade isn't going to make you a better swordfighter.

Since I'm borrowing about nine PS2 games from my neighbor, I've been playing:

SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

NBA Street Volume 2

NCAA Football 2004

Medal of Honor: Frontline

I've been playing a lot of the original Joe Montana Football for MD/Genny as well.

Back