What's the best VCD player for the DC

racketboy

Established Member

Free would be nice, but what's the best VCD players for the Dreamcast.

Actually if you know of both a good free one and a good pay one, that would be nice.

Stick with your DVD Player or Computer....

None of them are really worth it, take it from me. ;)

I have a DVD player.

I'm actually trying to research this for a friend.

And for pure curiousity

Never tested it myself, but I read in a multitude of places that the best one is that one that comes with a remote. Reviewers found it's decoding quality to be on par of a PC's MPEG1 decoding, unlikely some other ones that looks HORRIBLE (like Xing Hong's).

Lemme point that you *need* the remote to use it. Yeah, it's a dongle.

I've tried only 2 players, the 1st one had no features (couldn't pause/fastforward/ do anything but play) and another one (I think it was Gypplay) that came with the tools to include all video files on the cd along with the player so it would automatically boot. Wouldn't play .avi files or anything but still was decent with mpeg, and had simple features like file selection, play/pause, fast forward/rewind. Only problem was that you couldn't boot this program then insert another cd, so if a friend brings over a vcd you can't watch it. Only if you burn a cd with the program included <_<

Anyway I'm getting more cds soon so I may try another few players just for the hell of it, I've heard Bero is getting along fine.

Oh, and I did have drdivx or something on a dream selection cd and that played the one divx file I had on another cd well but I didn't test any features.

---Ammut

Back