Who are you voting for President.

what is everyone's thoughts on the fact that there are so many individuals and families that are in debt because they don't know how to manage their money and abuse credit? Do you think that has any effect on the economy?

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 13, 2004 @ 09:04 PM

what is everyone's thoughts on the fact that there are so many individuals and families that are in debt because they don't know how to manage their money and abuse credit? Do you think that has any effect on the economy?

Yes. Sometimes people spend beyond their means, I've seen people who make good money but manage to put themselves in serious debt. Do you really NEED a $300k house and a new car every 2-3 years??

a lot of it is "keeping up with the Joneses"

but I think the media makes too many people feel inferior and discontent with what they have.

Hmm.. not managing money well and abusing credit. Sounds a lot like Reagan and Bush with their deficits.

edit -

and more to do with major combat ending and lessening concerns about the uncertainty in the Middle East.

Although I agree with you to some extent, I don't think there have been any lessening concerns. In fact, concerns about instability have done nothing if not grow larger. If anything, I'm far more worried about the future of the Middle East now than I was when Saddam was in power. It may have been a tyrannical regime, but it was also a relatively stable one. I think the administration's heavy-handed efforts have caused a lasting resentment in the region that was not as intense before. If anything they have created more terrorists... I can only hope that the bungling will be reduced to a minimum in the future.

Yes. As far as the GDP goes, I suspect that it has a positive effect because it drives down the cost of labor. Think about it: if you're up to your eyeballs in debt, are you going to hassle your employer about raises, hours, or working conditions?

Although I agree with you to some extent, I don't think there have been any lessening concerns. In fact, concerns about instability have done nothing if not grow larger. If anything, I'm far more worried about the future of the Middle East now than I was when Saddam was in power. It may have been a tyrannical regime, but it was also a relatively stable one. I think the administration's heavy-handed efforts have caused a lasting resentment in the region that was not as intense before. If anything they have created more terrorists... I can only hope that the bungling will be reduced to a minimum in the future.

I agree and probaley should of been clearer. What I meant to indicate was that during the time of war, and leading up to it, there was a lot of concern from investors and companies which in turn drove down the stock market and cut into company value (not to mention shortening consumer confidence). After the war entered it's end (in terms of major combat), it was no suprise that the stock market went from around sub-9000 to over 10,000+. My point was not to say that the threat is gone, but just that the war stalled the economy by putting uncertainty in employers/investors with regard to the foreign markets and how the war would effect them.

"Do you really NEED a $300k house"

If I needed a house for more than 3 people and not live in the hood. Average cost of a house in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area is over $200k. And thats for a 2 bed 1-1.75 bath. My wife and I are looking for a townhouse. In a good area, we are looking at spending $175-200k. Yes I could go by a house on Broadway (the highest crime area in Minneapolis) for around $150k+. But if you are investing in a home, you sure as hell want it in a good neighborhood so its valus grows as much as possible.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jun 13, 2004 @ 10:04 PM

Yes. As far as the GDP goes, I suspect that it has a positive effect because it drives down the cost of labor. Think about it: if you're up to your eyeballs in debt, are you going to hassle your employer about raises, hours, or working conditions?

In the long run it probably isn't healthy for anyone but the companies they owe money to.

I'm voting for Bush.

As a great man once put it...

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Back