WHY does Final Fight Revenge use the 4MB RAM cart?

Just a completely off-topic question.. where are u guys from? it's 5.50am in here
wink.gif
maybe I should get some sleep LOL

woah! that's what I call real-time answer
biggrin.gif

anyways... I really should get some sleep.. it's just that my ISP (here in this forgotten european country.. Portugal) is a real sh*t I can only download 3gb per month from non-portuguese sources... and 3gb because I have a professional pack, the normal pack is only 1gb per month for international traffic..

I pay about 60$US for my cable.. now.. this is too much.. and you guys still think you're being ripped off?
tongue.gif

Anyways.. now they came up with what they call "Happy Hours" which is unlimited traffic for 3hours a day.. 4am to 7am, now laugh! this is hilarious.. and here am I downloading some games... btw segasquad thanks for the ftp... now i'm getting ready to go to get some sleep :bs

Originally posted by M3d10n@May 30, 2003 @ 04:44 PM

Do not be fooled: 3D fighting game characters do use a good chunk of RAM. Did anyone play Rival Schools on the PSX? The arcade version had a tag system, and you could switch characters at will.

That's strange. I'm playing the arcade version right now on Zinc and there is no switching players mid gameplay. It's only allows switching characters after each round. What were the buttons to switch?

Originally posted by fivefeet8+Jun 3, 2003 @ 01:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fivefeet8 @ Jun 3, 2003 @ 01:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-M3d10n@May 30, 2003 @ 04:44 PM

Do not be fooled: 3D fighting game characters do use a good chunk of RAM. Did anyone play Rival Schools on the PSX? The arcade version had a tag system, and you could switch characters at will.

That's strange. I'm playing the arcade version right now on Zinc and there is no switching players mid gameplay. It's only allows switching characters after each round. What were the buttons to switch? [/b][/quote]

I'm pretty sure the arcade version is just like the PSX version: you're only allowed to change characters after each round. I've never seen or read anything saying "the biggest problem about the PSX version is you can't switch characters while fighting". At least on Rival Schools, we all know about other games...
biggrin.gif

I finally played it for myself. Graphics are a lot more solid than Last bronx. But the playing feild feels to empty. Backgrounds are nice though. I still don't see why they had to use the Cart. Is saturn really that bad in the 3D department? (don't answer) <_<

Originally posted by SegaSquad@Jun 3, 2003 @ 04:42 PM

I finally played it for myself. Graphics are a lot more solid than Last bronx. But the playing feild feels to empty. Backgrounds are nice though. I still don't see why they had to use the Cart. Is saturn really that bad in the 3D department? (don't answer) <_<

well lets put it this way

the Saturn does a good job with FV2, Daytona, Sega Rally, Nights, and DOA without the RAM cart

like I said in my first reply, maybe Capcom just stunk at 3D at the time

The only reason to play FF Revenge is to see zombie Belger do the thriller dance at the end (only if you beat the entire game without losing a round).

It's also kind of neat to play as Eddie and run people over with police cars.

The game had potential to be really cool but Capcom just failed miserably at realizing that potential.

Originally posted by WARLORD+Jun 3, 2003 @ 12:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WARLORD @ Jun 3, 2003 @ 12:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by fivefeet8@Jun 3, 2003 @ 01:17 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-M3d10n
@May 30, 2003 @ 04:44 PM

That's strange. I'm playing the arcade version right now on Zinc and there is no switching players mid gameplay. It's only allows switching characters after each round. What were the buttons to switch?

I'm pretty sure the arcade version is just like the PSX version: you're only allowed to change characters after each round. I've never seen or read anything saying "the biggest problem about the PSX version is you can't switch characters while fighting". At least on Rival Schools, we all know about other games...
biggrin.gif
[/b][/quote]

Seems I was mistaken...
smile.gif

Originally posted by racketboy@May 31, 2003 @ 04:11 AM

capcom couldn't write good 3D code?

While the rest of this topic is true, this also is.

Capcom openly admitted, for example, that although they couldn't get Resident Evil 2 running at a good speed, a Sega in-house team probably could have. They had relatively little experience with the Saturn's 3D abilities... I mean, aside from Resident Evil, I can't think of another 3D game...and even that used 2D pre-rendered images for the backgrounds.

Wasn't the first RE their first 3D game? If not, anyway, they didn't have enough experience to begin with... and the Saturn wasn't for the faint of heart.

They got RE2 almost done on the Saturn... the first RE2, that is. The PSX and Saturn versions where being done simultaneously, until it was pointed out that RE2 was looking far too similat to RE1, and they decided to redo it nearly from scratch. They then found that redoing the game on both the PSX and the Saturn would be too much trouble, since the Saturn version was being hard to develop already, and cancelled it.

Hmmmm... I remember reading in an interview with Capcom in SSM that they tried to port RE2 final, but the processor was too slow for them =/

I believe, and Capcom does too, that had they utilized the twin CPU archetechture properly, it would have been very possible.

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 8, 2003 @ 08:05 AM

Hmmmm... I remember reading in an interview with Capcom in SSM that they tried to port RE2 final, but the processor was too slow for them =/

I believe, and Capcom does too, that had they utilized the twin CPU archetechture properly, it would have been very possible.

That sounds so funny... "the processor was too slow for them" - so just USE THE OTHER ONE for crying out loud!
laugh.gif

And I find it hard to believe that anyone could find the dual 28.6MHz SH-2's slower than a single 34.6MHz r3400i...
laugh.gif

It's not that easy... granted, the two CPUs run in parallel and synchronized, but only ONE of them can access RAM at a time. The other either has to wait or find something in its cache to do in the meantime. You can imagine that it takes sophisticated programming to get the most out of both CPUs under these circumstances.

One of the guys who developed VF2 even said that they were able to get about 1.8x as much performance out of the twin CPUs as they would have with a single CPU running at twice the clock speed.

Then the twin video chips, one specializing in 2D (blitting, sizing, rotating), the other in 3D (polygons, textures). Nowadays a single graphics chip does all the work in any video card.

I could go on, but what it comes down to is that the Saturn's architecture is complex. It's kinda a matter of the Saturn's symphony orchestra vs. the Playstation's violin quartet.
smile.gif

It's not that easy... granted, the two CPUs run in parallel and synchronized, but only ONE of them can access RAM at a time. The other either has to wait or find something in its cache to do in the meantime. You can imagine that it takes sophisticated programming to get the most out of both CPUs under these circumstances.

Oh, I know that. How fast can the CPU's switch between memory accesses?

And that's probably why emulation works so well on Saturn: One SH-2 translates code, then it sends translated code to the other one...
cool.gif

One of the guys who developed VF2 even said that they were able to get about 1.8x as much performance out of the twin CPUs as they would have with a single CPU running at twice the clock speed.

And that, my friends, is why SMP owns you all.
biggrin.gif

That's also why technically Saturn is more powerful than PlayStation.

Then the twin video chips, one specializing in 2D (blitting, sizing, rotating), the other in 3D (polygons, textures). Nowadays a single graphics chip does all the work in any video card.

Uhm.. no. They're both "2D" chips... they both do 3D the same way: Simple scale/rotate/skew/distort.

For VDP1, one (or both) of the SH-2's calculates where the quad is in 3D space, then delivers the location and orientation of the quad to the VDP1, which handles it the same as a normal 2D object - it just rotates, scales, etc. it to make it look like it's in 3D space.
cool.gif

VDP2 just does simple rotation and scaling of background planes, same as Super Nintendo's Mode 7 except more flexible and powerful.

I could go on, but what it comes down to is that the Saturn's architecture is complex. It's kinda a matter of the Saturn's symphony orchestra vs. the Playstation's violin quartet.
smile.gif

Yup.

Back