WHY does Final Fight Revenge use the 4MB RAM cart?

WARLORD

Ok, i was thinking about this... WHY Capcom did use the 4MB cart with Final Fight Revenge? I haven't played the game yet (I have it, but it doesn't work with my cartridge), but from looking at pics, the game's graphics are nothing to write home about. They look A LOT worse than the ones for VF2 or DOA. What exactly was improved with the use of the extra RAM? I can't think of anything. The sound? The load times? I don't think so. Any thoughts?

M3d10n

FF Revenge uses tag system (2 on 2), and since the ST-V has more ram than the Saturn, they found it was much easier to port the game using the RAM cart.

Do not be fooled: 3D fighting game characters do use a good chunk of RAM. Did anyone play Rival Schools on the PSX? The arcade version had a tag system, and you could switch characters at will.

The PSX version has the jerky "between the rounds change" system similar to Xmen vs Street Fither.

racketboy

Originally posted by M3d10n@May 30, 2003 @ 09:44 PM

FF Revenge uses tag system (2 on 2), and since the ST-V has more ram than the Saturn, they found it was much easier to port the game using the RAM cart.

Do not be fooled: 3D fighting game characters do use a good chunk of RAM. Did anyone play Rival Schools on the PSX? The arcade version had a tag system, and you could switch characters at will.

The PSX version has the jerky "between the rounds change" system similar to Xmen vs Street Fither.
yeah I wish Rival Schools came out on the Saturn

that was a cool game

Project Justice didn't seem to capture the same gameplay -- unless I'm missing something

Shitface

Really? i thought project justice was an awsome game! I had the import so i couldn't understand story or anything or that boardgame thing. But that was one of my favorite fighters.

racketboy

Originally posted by SegaSquad@May 30, 2003 @ 10:57 PM

Really? i thought project justice was an awsome game! I had the import so i couldn't understand story or anything or that boardgame thing. But that was one of my favorite fighters.
like I said, I might be missing something

maybe the controls are different or something.

I need to fish around in the instructions or something

klakalou

Originally posted by M3d10n@May 30, 2003 @ 09:44 PM

U COULD TAG IN THE ARCADE VERSION!

Taelon

Originally posted by klakalou@May 30, 2003 @ 07:33 PM

U COULD TAG IN THE ARCADE VERSION!
Erm... That's what he'd said, isn't it... :huh :smash

And btw - VF2 and DOA used relatively little in the way of 2D backgrounds in each stage, and the fighters themselves were polygonal. In a 2D fighter you invariably have much more bitmap data to work with.

I'm assuming FFR is a 2D fighter, anyway - not sure?

IBarracudaI

This game was a real deception for me... When I first heard about it using the 4MB cart and being 3D I though it was going to be great... but as soon as the very first round started... well... one more game for my collection...

Shitface

Does it atleast have good gameplay? I have yet to play it. Would you say the graphics are at least on par with say... last bronx?

E Nice

Well, there's a standard I thought I'd never hear. If something is graphically on par with Last Bronx.

racketboy

It's an interesting game if you're a Capcom fan like myself, but for serious gaming, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

More of a collector's item

IBarracudaI

humm, last bronx has good graphics... despite some minor issues like the shadows.. it is pretty good, but somehow I don't like it <_< it has a strange gameplay for my taste..

Anyways.. AFAIK final fight revenge runs on a lower resolution, somehow the graphics have nothing special to point out... it's better to check out some screenshots as I haven't booted it up and I may be confusing with some other game

Edit: Just searched for screenshots:

here, here, and here

And yes, this is the game I was thinking of...

Edit2: Strangely enough.. the game looks better in this pics than when played on a saturn..

Shitface

Ah, thanks for the screens. Looks really blocky IMO. But oh well, its from capcom so it mut be a fun game. What are graphics without gameplay.

E Nice

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Jun 2, 2003 @ 04:10 AM

humm, last bronx has good graphics... despite some minor issues like the shadows.. it is pretty good, but somehow I don't like it <_< it has a strange gameplay for my taste..
Ignoring all the flickering, the grainy, fuzzy coloring, and rather plain backgrounds, even for Sega 3D fighters. And not to neglect those "trailing edges". Though I suppose it does handle perspective shifts fine, sorta like Virtua Fighter 2 handled it.

E Nice

It feels 2D-ish to me. Not as much as Mortal Kombat 4 but you can almost do a proper jump kick in the game.