WHY does Final Fight Revenge use the 4MB RAM cart?

Ok, i was thinking about this... WHY Capcom did use the 4MB cart with Final Fight Revenge? I haven't played the game yet (I have it, but it doesn't work with my cartridge), but from looking at pics, the game's graphics are nothing to write home about. They look A LOT worse than the ones for VF2 or DOA. What exactly was improved with the use of the extra RAM? I can't think of anything. The sound? The load times? I don't think so. Any thoughts?

FF Revenge uses tag system (2 on 2), and since the ST-V has more ram than the Saturn, they found it was much easier to port the game using the RAM cart.

Do not be fooled: 3D fighting game characters do use a good chunk of RAM. Did anyone play Rival Schools on the PSX? The arcade version had a tag system, and you could switch characters at will.

The PSX version has the jerky "between the rounds change" system similar to Xmen vs Street Fither.

Originally posted by M3d10n@May 30, 2003 @ 09:44 PM

FF Revenge uses tag system (2 on 2), and since the ST-V has more ram than the Saturn, they found it was much easier to port the game using the RAM cart.

Do not be fooled: 3D fighting game characters do use a good chunk of RAM. Did anyone play Rival Schools on the PSX? The arcade version had a tag system, and you could switch characters at will.

The PSX version has the jerky "between the rounds change" system similar to Xmen vs Street Fither.

yeah I wish Rival Schools came out on the Saturn

that was a cool game

Project Justice didn't seem to capture the same gameplay -- unless I'm missing something

Really? i thought project justice was an awsome game! I had the import so i couldn't understand story or anything or that boardgame thing. But that was one of my favorite fighters.

Originally posted by SegaSquad@May 30, 2003 @ 10:57 PM

Really? i thought project justice was an awsome game! I had the import so i couldn't understand story or anything or that boardgame thing. But that was one of my favorite fighters.

like I said, I might be missing something

maybe the controls are different or something.

I need to fish around in the instructions or something
smile.gif

Originally posted by M3d10n@May 30, 2003 @ 09:44 PM

U COULD TAG IN THE ARCADE VERSION!

Originally posted by klakalou@May 30, 2003 @ 07:33 PM

U COULD TAG IN THE ARCADE VERSION!

Erm... That's what he'd said, isn't it... :huh :smash

And btw - VF2 and DOA used relatively little in the way of 2D backgrounds in each stage, and the fighters themselves were polygonal. In a 2D fighter you invariably have much more bitmap data to work with.

I'm assuming FFR is a 2D fighter, anyway - not sure?
ph34r.gif

This game was a real deception for me... When I first heard about it using the 4MB cart and being 3D I though it was going to be great... but as soon as the very first round started... well... one more game for my collection...
sad.gif

Does it atleast have good gameplay? I have yet to play it. Would you say the graphics are at least on par with say... last bronx?

It's an interesting game if you're a Capcom fan like myself, but for serious gaming, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

More of a collector's item

humm, last bronx has good graphics... despite some minor issues like the shadows.. it is pretty good, but somehow I don't like it <_< it has a strange gameplay for my taste..

Anyways.. AFAIK final fight revenge runs on a lower resolution, somehow the graphics have nothing special to point out... it's better to check out some screenshots as I haven't booted it up and I may be confusing with some other game
tongue.gif

Edit: Just searched for screenshots:

here, here, and here
cool.gif

And yes, this is the game I was thinking of...

Edit2: Strangely enough.. the game looks better in this pics than when played on a saturn..

Ah, thanks for the screens. Looks really blocky IMO. But oh well, its from capcom so it mut be a fun game. What are graphics without gameplay.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Jun 2, 2003 @ 04:10 AM

humm, last bronx has good graphics... despite some minor issues like the shadows.. it is pretty good, but somehow I don't like it <_< it has a strange gameplay for my taste..

Ignoring all the flickering, the grainy, fuzzy coloring, and rather plain backgrounds, even for Sega 3D fighters. And not to neglect those "trailing edges". Though I suppose it does handle perspective shifts fine, sorta like Virtua Fighter 2 handled it.

Back