Xbox controller recommendations?

As for X-Box, I prefer the S controller. I only buy 1st party controllers, as I have had bad luck with generics in the past. I think ASCII is the only company that ever made a good controller. And IMHO the PS2 has the worst controller.

Always stick with original controllers, IMO... my MadKatz PS1 controller's sticks are also quite irritable now.

I bought Mad Catz because their Genesis and SNES controllers (sold under the "High Frequency" brand by Toys 'R Us) are actually very nice. Apparently they've gone crappy like everyone else now. To their credit they do have a nice warranty (5-year), but no advance replacement so you have to go without the pad for a week or so, which is a deal-breaker for me.

For overall feel, I love the S, especially the digital pad (which is, incidentally, very much like the pads on the old Mad Catz / HF pads). If they just had enough sense to put the white and black buttons in a useful place it'd be about perfect. Did someone tell them that Japanese people have an extra segment in their thumbs or something? <_<

edit:

Hmm... big surprise there.. "I'm sorry, your controller ports are screwed because you used third party hardware... unfortunately, that's not covered under our support policy..."

I'm told that most civilized jurisdictions have laws against blanket policies like that. If they can actually determine that the third-party product caused it that's one thing, but they shouldn't be able to just say your system is tainted by evil Unofficial Peripheral Goblins...

Gremlins, actually.

Anyway, some thoughts: It seems to me that all Dreamcast triggers I've used have eventually developed some kind of squeek after heavy use, but they all still work great. I agree that the Saturn/Genesis 6-buttons were the best, the model 2 saturn controllers are still my favorite. The Sony "d-pad" (more like d-buttons) is very irritating for certain games, and their analogs require practically no force to move, so they are either down or up for me (not good for FPS!). I like the controller-S for Xbox, and it is quite solid. However, although I got used to the location of start/back pretty quickly, I still sometimes fumble for the white/black buttons in games that don't use them often. It wasn't a problem while I was playing KOTOR though.

On a side note, I was disappointed with Sonic Heroes, and I wasn't even expecting all that much. Sonic Adventure was way better, graphics aside. Although, 720p support is nothing to sneeze at. I think I'm going to see if the Japanese voices are any better, or I'm going to strangle Tails and Big... and although it was funny at first, I'm tired of hearing him addressed as "Mr. Big". The joke wears thin after 1000 times of hearing "Let Mr. Big handle this!".

Heh, I thought Sonic Heroes was pretty good- I enjoyed the gameplay more than SA, although the bosses were kinda weak design-wise.

I'm told that most civilized jurisdictions have laws against blanket policies like that. If they can actually determine that the third-party product caused it that's one thing, but they shouldn't be able to just say your system is tainted by evil Unofficial Peripheral Goblins...

I refer you to this article:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/02/23/no_support/

I was referring to warranty claims (re: dead controller port) rather than standard tech support. Guess I should have mentioned that since the text I was replying to could be read either way. Great article, though. :D

Originally posted by mountaindud+Mar 11, 2004 @ 01:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mountaindud @ Mar 11, 2004 @ 01:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Des-ROW@Mar 11, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

May I do, maybe I do not, maybe I am just playing with you and testing your courage.

*kiss*

He's saying that if you have big hands you have a big wang! :banana [/b][/quote]

What!!! He has a large mid 80's desktop? Or do his hands just appear large next to his........!?

Originals all the way. Never found a 3rd party controller that I liked.

S-tpe rocks IMO. Yes, the button could be laid out a lil better BUT it is tons better than the regular one IMO. gamescube controller gets my vote for the best feeling in your hands...it feels natural and I can play for 5-6+ hrs and my hands dont cramp up. The PSX controller sucks a FATTY. the l/r button are awkwardly placed (a bitch to hit l1 and r1), the d-pad sucks, and their sticks are by far the worst out there (crappy placement and control). Hopefully the next PS will have a different controller.

I would like a controller w/ the GCN's feel, the xbox s-type button layout, and the GCN shoulder buttons (gotta love that click feature :)). If they could make the system have built-in wavebird technology stuff to where ALL controllers were wireless w/ the option of having a cord that'd be cool. Specially if they could add the rumble feature w/ the wireless.

I also have another cool idea I have had since I was like 12 that no one has done or even came close to attempting that I would share, but I think sumone would rip it off :-\. It's my idea and it'll revolutionize the gaming industy...the controllers atleast.

Originally posted by falstaff+Mar 11, 2004 @ 02:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falstaff @ Mar 11, 2004 @ 02:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by mountaindud@Mar 11, 2004 @ 01:02 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Des-ROW
@Mar 11, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

May I do, maybe I do not, maybe I am just playing with you and testing your courage.

*kiss*

He's saying that if you have big hands you have a big wang! :banana

What!!! He has a large mid 80's desktop? Or do his hands just appear large next to his........!?

Originals all the way. Never found a 3rd party controller that I liked. [/b][/quote]

quantum fighter pad sucks ass, if u press this 1 button it messes it up 4ever. this other controller broke my controller port

The only first party controller I ever had break was my PS2. I was plating SSX when it came out. After a few months of using the left stick quite responding.

Also, I think it would rock if they built the wirless support into the system. I would have bought 4 wavebirds instead of 2.

Strange question here: muffinman943, what is your picture from?

Hmm, after looking around a bit more, I have seen a few controller-S style third party controllers that have a similar layout but with a possibly (depending on your preference) better placement for the white+black buttons. However, they all look to have some or another horrible design flaw, in addition to the almost definite cheap construction.

My preference is the Controller S - it's what came with my Xbox. Having said that, I'm on my 2nd, and the rumble motors make terrible whirring noises. :sigh

Back