Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to buy one and want to know some things about the Big X.

Can Play MP3s?

Will work with my Internet Cable Conection?

Have Web Browser?

If have, can I use ICQ Web (Java based)?

Can I use my PC Keyboard and Mouse? USB or PS2?

Thanks.

Eh-hem. It SHOULD work with cable since they will be launching their whole "online gaming" thing soon.

It most likely will use MSN.

It has a HDD, I don't see why you can't instal Winamp and play MP3s (Even better than that, supposedly, the XBox makes piracy of music rather simple. Something like ripping songs from a CD to play them while you play HALO, since there is no other decent game for the system. Anyway, network it to you computer, transfer files, and bam, I suppose you have a CD to burn now).

Don't know about the ICQ thing, but hey, once again....It has a HDD, and it is just basically, a computer....So, why not?

I wouldn't bet on being able to use a PS2 mouse. My cousin got the Linux kit for the PS2 (mouse included) and it hates the Microsoft mouse he tried to use on it once.

Most importantly, don't buy an XBox because Bill Gates sucks and so do all his products. Your computer hates you for installing Windows on it. And we wouldn't want to support the monopolizing franchise. Did you know Microsoft is losing about $2 billion over the course of the next 2 fiscal years on this experiment? Oh, but they have Halo and other good games like....Well, there's....I mean....No....

Can Play MP3s?

Not out of the box. In principle this is possible with some homebrew software, which requires a hacked BIOS to be installed. Xbox's stock software can rip and play back WMA though (only from pressed CDs I think).

Will work with my Internet Cable Conection?

Yes, but until Xbox Live (MS's online game service for Xbox) happens, you'll have to rig up a gateway setup if you want to play anything over the Internet - all the current network games (Halo is the only one I know of) are designed for LAN play.

Have Web Browser?

Not yet. Will probably happen in the homebrew scene eventually, and could potentially happen in a limited way with Xbox Live. However, I wouldn't count on a full-featured official browser since MS is doing everything they can to remind people that Xbox Is Not A PC.

Can I use my PC Keyboard and Mouse? USB or PS2?

No official keyboard/mouse support exists. In principle these could be made to work, but wouldn't work with official software unless MS decides to create an Xbox keyboard/mouse.

It has a HDD, I don't see why you can't instal Winamp and play MP3s

Xbox offers no mechanism for running standard Win32 programs. Also, Xbox's version of Windows doesn't offer all the normal services that PC versions of Windows do, so WinAmp probably wouldn't be able to run even if you could install it.

Did you know Microsoft is losing about $2 billion over the course of the next 2 fiscal years on this experiment?

Yeah, everyone knows MS is broke and can't possibly afford to blow $2 billion to get something like a comprehensive vulnerability audit of their prototype TCPA mechanisms...

dude just buy an xbox. Microsoft is like a huge giant of the pc market and have just ruled us all on what we're going to be buying. (ooo kidna like 1984, huh?) but the xbox IS good system. It's a completely different market of microsoft as well. It's like sony, and sony computer entertainment of america. Two different things with one word in common. SO yes buy an xbox for the great games out/comming out.

Don't hate me for that but I believe that it's still too early to buy one! I'll wait a little bit longer before I decide(There is a Shining Force in development
wink.gif
W00t).

Thanks for the info!

I don't like Microsoft too! I don't know if the Xbox will have a long life like de PSX Series, but we like too much the Sega Systems and they die too fast!

Why not buy a Xbox?

I don't like Sony and Nintendo and PS2 sux!

Sega is making a lot of games for the Xbox console~, like Shenmue!

Just what I think :)

I will buy one in about 2 months.

Thanks!

NOOOO!!!! It's all over! Bring out yer dead! [/DRUNKENBRITISHACCENT]

I like my PS2....It plays all the great PSX games that I'm now getting for $15 or $20 apiece (I was a little late. I guess that's obvious since I'm just now playing Saturn games for the first time).

And there's always Square....::sighs::....So, many things beyond my control....

Oops! By saying 'too early to buy one' I didn't meant X-Box, but all three consoles!

Nintendo got full support from AM2 Miyamoto & Suzuki admires each other very much, according to E3's interview. Virtua Fighter Quest is on the road... )D

My brain will explode!!!!!!

I don't Like M$, Sony and Nintendo.

I've played the GC and don't like.

Played PS2 and I think it Sux!

Played Xbox and bring smile in my face!
biggrin.gif

The greatest sega games are comming to the Xbox!

Have you seen the Panzer Dragon Orta? The game is great!

let's put it this way..

you buy an xbox and get:

- snes

- genesis

- SMS/GG

- GBA

- Atari 2600

- NES

- GBC

- N64

- Lynx

- Mame (incl. NeoGeo)

- PCE

- divx player

- mpeg player

- soon mpeg2, mp3 and possibly DVD player

- ultra cheap machine for quake II (including LAN play with PC)

- soon linux, with all the linux games and tools

the emulators mentioned above range from usable to near perfect.

how easily can you set up your PC below your TV in a slick black case, and have all those emus AND some decent games for 200$?

In no way possible, because the games are extra, the cables are extra, and if you want digital audio you'll have a really hard time. so while it is a great deal cheaper than a pc its gonna require a pc to get those emulators and roms anyway , and if you want xbox original games thats more cash too.

Damn it, man! 40 Gig HDD....coming out....for....PS2....Do same stuff (emulators and such) as XBox....5 times as much space....Linux....More stable OS....Ah....

OK, I'm fighting a losing battle here. Everyone's pissed at Sony because the PSX beat out the Saturn. I understand now. It makes sense. I give up! You win! You all win!

"I don't want yer life!" ~Varsity Blues

Originally posted by Arakon@July 23 2002, 4:47 pm

how easily can you set up your PC below your TV in a slick black case, and have all those emus AND some decent games for 200$?

Hey, Arakon havent seen you around much lately
smile.gif

I wouldnt really say the Xbox has a slick black case.You have to mod the Xbox in order to get it to run emulators.(doesnt seem easier to me)Lets not forget that obviously everyone here has a PC to do all that, and its MUCH easier.I rather like sitting at my desk and playing classic games on my computer.And about the price, when you already spend alot on a computer, why buy an Xbox...when it seems your using it for the same thing as your PC.(just a waste of $200)

Originally posted by Michaias@July 23 2002, 4:04 pm

Damn it, man! 40 Gig HDD....coming out....for....PS2....Do same stuff (emulators and such) as XBox....5 times as much space....Linux....More stable OS....Ah....

OK, I'm fighting a losing battle here. Everyone's pissed at Sony because the PSX beat out the Saturn. I understand now. It makes sense. I give up! You win! You all win!

"I don't want yer life!" ~Varsity Blues

Actually you can replace the xbox hdd with a 100gig.

Originally posted by Michaias@July 22 2002, 8:04 pm

Not really. The Saturn beat out the Saturn. It was mismanagement all the way through. Realistically, if there was better design and management, who knows? SoJ really messed it up, and it's kinda sad, but we have to live with it.

There really aren't any super original games for the PSX. Believe me, I've tried to like the PSX, and the PS2 (hell, I almost bought a Jap PS2 the day they came out) but there really isn't anything that interests me.

The Saturn on the other hand, has a ton of original games. Same with Dreamcast.

It's more like Sega produced original games whereas for Sony companies took a good idea and ran it into the ground.

And those games that are supposedly really really good can't miss games, I really couldn't get into them. Like Castlevania: SOTN or Syphon Filter or Metal Gear Solid or even Final Fantasy... all those things seemed really boring. I was really excited about Devil May Cry too, but that game was also a downer (It was lousy).

You can argue it here until the end of time, it probably won't make much of a difference. There are three types as far as I'm concerned: 1) Those who love the PSX/ PS2 above all. 2) Those who love Sega above all 3) Those who just want to play quality games.

I'd like to consider myself #3. I don't really care either way who wins the console war. All I'm concerned with, when it's all over, that we can say there was good gaming to be had.

uhm.. good morning. you can slap a 137 GB HD into the xbox and play your games off the HD instead of DVD/CD.

And the PS2 linux is TOTALLY castrated, you can't do shit with it. you can't install your own shit, you can't even use stuff off cd with it.

and a completely free and usable linux is coming for xbox too.

and if you want digital audio you'll have a really hard time.

why? you can manually add a digital out port (2 wires and a connector), or buy the AV pack with digital out.

besides, you aren't gonna play Panzer Dragoon Ortha or ToeJam and Earl 3 on a PC.

my friend bought the advanced AV< pack only to find that it has the same regular outputs and the only digital out put for sound is through Fiber Optic, which is a major pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back