Yabause

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Mon, 2006-01-16 @ 08:21 PM

The speed is amazing, really impressive. With an interpreter core, it reaches almost the same speed level as satourne with dynamic binary translation. Gongratulations, good work!

[post=143509]Quoted post[/post]​

Latest available build of Satourne only uses an interpreter (same for the latest beta, which is a lot faster than the 1.1P version ;) )

Fabien is finalizing his MMX recompiler (since months :p )

I'm improving speed in Saturnin too, so you'll be able to test some stuff with it soon too ;)

And I'm also impressed with Yabause speed, but I already told so on irc :p

With the recent improvements in speed and compatibility, is there a chance to see an updated Dreamcast port some day soon?

As the SH2 instruction set is part of the SH4, you could possibly do some sort of easy dynarec cpu core for Dreamcast.

Latest available build of Satourne only uses an interpreter (same for the latest beta, which is a lot faster than the 1.1P version wink.gif )

Hmm, then why is the cpu plugin (Satourne 1.1P) named dynarec?

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sat, 2006-01-28 @ 08:49 PM

Hmm, then why is the cpu plugin (Satourne 1.1P) named dynarec?

[post=143856]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't have any dynarec plug-in in my 1.1P version, only the interpreter v1.3 (with or without debugger)

There was a dynarec plug-in bundled with earlier versions of Satourne, but it wasn't really performant nor compatible ;)

I think dynarec is overemphasized; for Saturn especially it opens the door for all sorts of odd compatibility issues, and a dynarec is not necessarily a whole lot faster than a well-optimized interpreter anyway.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sat, 2006-01-28 @ 08:49 PM

As the SH2 instruction set is part of the SH4, you could possibly do some sort of easy dynarec cpu core for Dreamcast.

[post=143856]Quoted post[/post]​

Iv read something about this elsewhere. Im not really up on the hardware compatabilities of the DC and Saturn but is there a realistic possibility that a DC could run a Saturn emu better than a PC due to hardware similarities?

I realize the most important step is to get a working Saturn emu period, but the idea of a DC running Saturn games is really awesome.

If the Saturn was only made of a SH2, it would be easy to port it to the DC. But that's not the case, as there are 2 SH2 and numerous other chips to emulate ... so I dont think it's viable (even if Yabause has been ported to the Dreamcast :p )

The other problem is that the SH4 in Dreamcast is running in little-endian mode while Saturn programs run in big-endian mode. There's no simple way to convert between the two because simply swapping all bytes will mangle byte and longword variables. I've been harboring a pet theory that it could be done with some massively ugly MMU and UBC hacks, but it's not clear that such an approach would end up being feasible in an actual emulator.

Mhhh ... I haven't digged into my Dreamcast hardware docs, but I know that the CS2 space on the Saturn can be configured into big endian mode to use big endian peripherals ... I'm wondering if Sega did the same thing for the Dreamcast ...

As far as I know, the endianness mode on SH-4 is basically global instead of being for one /CS area. I don't think it affects onboard peripherals, but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Tue, 2006-02-07 @ 08:20 PM

I'd just like to let people know we've finally setup a nightly cvs build system for people that like trying out the bleeding edge versions of software.

http://yabause.sourceforge.net/builds.php

I already uploaded today's build for the windows port.

There's also a link for it on the Yabause Download page.

Cyber Warrior X

[post=144181]Quoted post[/post]​

Nice news, I'll make some test.

NB : glut32.dll was missing

http://www.dil.univ-mrs.fr/~garreta/generi.../OGL/glut32.dll

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Thu, 2006-02-09 @ 10:50 PM

I haven't bothered including it since people should be using the dll's included with 0.6.0.

[post=144244]Quoted post[/post]​

strange I had a working yabause in the folder where I've put the new yabause :blink: So it wasn't the last one I ran.

JSWAT + Devil Summoner

post-895-1139521780.jpg

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 121
A feature request:

Example: the SCU DSP simulator can handle longer programs than the real hardware can, so devvers can focus to meet memory constraints later.

Why not optionally emulate stuff that exceeds the real Saturn capabilities. I'm speeking about RAM.

The VDP2 can have 8 MBits attached, while Saturn only got 4 MBit.

Second, what about emulating external RAM carts bigger than 4MByte?

And finally (not having the Saturn memory map in mind): maybe it could be done to add more low and high work RAM, too?

In the VDP2 debug window there are several VDP2 register settings. What (which register) is meant by "Supplementary color number"? I've searched the VDP2 manual, but couldn't find it.

And another question: can I dump VDP2 registers with the memory download function? On real hardware most registers are write only. I tried dumping with Yabause and had all bytes '0'.

About your three questions Rockin'-B:

1) Yeah, I guess we could add options to disable or change hardware limitations. Now, that would means writting Yabause-specific programs :) and I'm not sure it would be easy to implement...

2) There's no frameskip yet. We implemented one some time ago, but it wasn't really working.

3) The "Supplementary color number" is the "Supplementary character number bit" in PNCN0-3 registers. (vdp2 manual p78)

There's a bug with dumping vdp2 registers: we have implemented limitations on read/write access to registers and the memory dump is using byte access, so you can't dump vdp2 registers. I gonna fix this bug (btw, there's even a bug report about this issue: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...991&atid=592126 )

Great, thanks for the info.

BTW: some more feature requests that I find very useful:

1. source code level debugging support, like GDB

2. profiling support, I've read the Visual Boy Advance got this feature

No more nightly build for Windows ? The last one was really good and I see new packages for MacOs and Linux.

Back