Zelda–Link’s Awakening,Sheer Awesomeness! *Spoiler

Recently, I bought a used Black & White Gameboy with the Zelda cart for 5 Euros at a flea-market sale.

Soon after when I started playing it, I was shocked by the sheer awesomeness of the gameplay, the nicely designed 4-grey scale graphics, the gorgeous music generated by the tiny GB speaker and the cool Boss fights!

It took me 3 months to complete (I took my time there) and enjoyed every single detail of the game.

The story line and plot were very deep, sad and dramatic.

The Koholilt realm was just an allegory, a dream of another being. It would all end and fade into nothingness once the wind fish awakes.

I had an inclination, about the island not being quite right, especially after defeating the Slime Eel Boss at the Catfish dungeon and hearing its dying cries:

Slime Eel: TSSSK, TSSSK! You don't ssseem to know what kind of island this

iss... KEEE-HEE-HEEE! What a fool... KEE-HEE-HEH!!

But I was shocked when I first read the legend of the island, on the ancient tablet, at the face shrine!

TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN,

MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE

THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE...

CAST-AWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!

The Owl then appears and tells you that the only one that knows for sure is the Wind Fish it self! The Owl it self was the most enigmatic character of the game. I think it's an allegory and represents the Wind Fish’s (or maybe even Link’s) Consciousness!

Later on, The Facade Bosses’ agonizing death cries supported the terrifying truth:

Facade (end): Okay, listen up! If the Wind Fish wakes up, every-thing on this island will be gone forever! And I do mean... EVERYTHING!

And the dramatic inevitable end, described by the Boss of the 8th Dungeon.

It’s so dramatic of how anxious and determined he is, to prevent you from playing the instruments:

Hot Head: CRACKLE-FROOOWSH! You're finished! I will never let you play the

Instruments of the Sirens!!

+++(END)+++

Hot Head: C-C-CRACKLE! Why did you come here? if it weren't for you, nothing

would have to change! You cannot wake the Wind Fish! Remember,

you... too... are in... ...the dream...

When the Wind fish finally awakes, the dialogue that follows is very hopeful and sad at the same time:

Wind Fish: ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN

MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY

AN ISLAND. WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ...

BUT, VERILY, IN BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END! WHEN I DOST AWAKEN,

KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL

EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD... SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS

ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD...

The best element of this game must be Marin’s song, “The Ballad of the Wind Fish”, This is one of the nicest tunes I have ever heard! I would sit there and play it just to enjoy the melody. The full version of the song when you play the 8 siren instruments in front of the Wind Fish’s Egg is poetry!

Yes, music is very important in my book and I was deeply touched by this specific song. I'll definitely look for an mp3 re-mastered version of this specific tune!

I felt sad when Marin tells you that she knew that you were going to leave for ever and that she didn’t want you to forget her.

Earlier at the beach, she tells you:

“If I was a sea gull, I would fly as far as I could! I would fly to far away places and sing for many people”.

I guess her wish was granted when at the end sequence, Marin comes onto the screen, a seagull flies through her, and she disappears.

I was deeply touched by this game and it definitely deserves to be placed in the hall of all time classics.

zeldadx730nz.gif
zeldadx740gn.gif

Your post (well the start of it, didn't read the whole thing, sorry. ;)) really made me wan't to play this game again.

It took me 3 months to complete (I took my time there) and enjoyed every single detail of the game.

3 MONTHS!? You must've played that tune you liked far too much, that was the downside with this game in my opinion it had a ridiculus difficulty level. I borrowed it for seven days and on the second day I had already finnished it. But it was good as long as it lasted. And some replay value... every 13 years ;)

It's probably my second favorite game boy game, the first of course is final fantasy adventure (but that's just cause I love the seiken densetsu games).

This is a great game. Definately one of my favorite gameboy games if not my favorite. Everyone should check this game out.

Back