20/21-pin differences

I have found one of the older mod boards which might be compatible for both 20/21 units. it has only one connector on it (21 pin) but on the other side it has a place for another connector which I believe would have been the 20 pin connection. I'm going to try to track down a scanner and get a good scan of the pcb traces, it may help. this 1 wire mod has a pic 16xxx and a peel 18cv8 pld, which probably cannot be copied. too bad, because the pcb would be easy to make. I'll post asap, if I can get a scan done.

Cool! Thanks a bunch.
biggrin.gif

It's a shame that it doesn't have a crystal. The one that Trenton net put a pic up of in another thread did.

I'm not saying that it would be interchangable with the missing one from a Lik Sang mod, but it might be a good starting point.

Alright.

I've nearly finished looking at 21 pin Saturns. Back to 20 pins...

I was just looking at a Saturn I have lying around with it's cover off and noticed something interesting. The crystal on the CD board has a frequency of 33.8668MHz.

Relevance?

The crystal missing from the 'modern' 21 pin modboard has a frequency of 8.467Mhz. That's one quarter of the CD board's crystal. Coincidence?

Doubt it.
smile.gif

ExCyber...

I was just looking at a Saturn I have lying around with it's cover off and noticed something interesting. The crystal on the CD board has a frequency of 33.8668MHz.

It's probably the master clock for the CD reader, but I think this is interesting because AFAIK nothing else on the Saturn runs at that speed - the main system runs at 28.something, which leaves me to suspect that the CD side of the Saturn's CD interface is grabbing its clock from the ribbon connector.

Relevance?

The crystal missing from the 'modern' 21 pin modboard has a frequency of 8.467Mhz. That's one quarter of the CD board's crystal. Coincidence?

Doubt it.
smile.gif

Me too. Clock conditioning PLLs often take 4x the "real" clock speed of the device, so this is probably the basis for all CD timing. This raises the possibility that the CD reader actually clocks some component of the Saturn's CD interface, rather than being clocked by it; perhaps this was in anticipation of compatibility with faster drives?

OK.

So a mod board can get the signal it requires from the CD board that has a crystal at 33.8668 MHz or a built in crystal at 8.467 MHz.

Do you think that there would be any significant modification to the clock signal between the 33.x MHz crystal and the point that the mod takes it's signal?

Does a Model 1/20 pin saturn have a crystal on it's CD board?

Do you think that there would be any significant modification to the clock signal between the 33.x MHz crystal and the point that the mod takes it's signal?

Yes. AFAIK none of the traditional PIC line can run at anywhere near 33MHz, and it seems that if that was the frequency being used you could solder directly to one of the clock crystal pins rather than having to solder to a chip.

Does a Model 1/20 pin saturn have a crystal on it's CD board?

I believe so, but I'll have to dig out my M1 to check.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug. 04 2002, 11:55 pm

AFAIK none of the traditional PIC line can run at anywhere near 33MHz, and it seems that if that was the frequency being used you could solder directly to one of the clock crystal pins rather than having to solder to a chip.

I thought that might be the case. It did sound a bit too easy.

I believe so, but I'll have to dig out my M1 to check.

OK. I'll be interested to find out what it has.

*goes back to drawing board*

Originally posted by tinman@May 11 2002, 3:39 am

there is no crystal. it has one resistor, one capacitor, 2 ic's. to have a look go here:

http://www.geocities.com/redhat58271/mod_bottom.html

and here:

http://www.geocities.com/redhat58271/mod_top.html

right click and save the pictures, they should be 800x1000 and have a reasonable amount of detail (the best i can do, anyway). i have not tried it, but i think that the other (unused) connection would unlock the 20 pin saturns. let me know what you think.

You've got yourself a version 7.0 mod there. With a 21 pin Saturn, it's jsut fine as it is, but you have to do a little extra to get it to work on a 20 pin.

First, desolder the sockets and move them to the other side form the W side to the G side. Now, take the 21 pin ribbon that came with the mod (leadsface up), and cut off the last one on the right, or cut the plastic in between the the last and the one before last and bend it up. Connect the ribbon from the cd drive to the "In" socket (to one side of course, make sure it is the side that doesn't pass thrugh to the cut end of the other cable) and the 21 pin cable that came with the mod t othe "Out" and the cut end to the motherboard.

That's not really what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to work out if a fairly common 'Lik-Sang' type of mod (version ?) can be hacked into a 20 pin Saturn. The main issue at the moment is going to be finding a suitable clock signal on the CD board.

Even if we find one, who knows if it will have mod compatability issues like the '64 pin' model 2 Saturns? ???

I know, but I figured I would tell him, ince he was wondering abou the other side of the mod.

And also, with the Version 9.5 mods appeared the first 21 pin only compatible chips, they looked jsut like the one in the GameGizmop picture on their site, but the actual mods you recieve from them are slightly different, and are likely another more recent 9.x mod, same goes with the Lik-Sang ones.

Other than the colour of the PCB and an electrolytic capacitor, what's the difference between the one in Gamegizmo's picture (9.5) and the ones they sell (9.x)?

BTW I've been giving myself a crash course in CRO use 101. Now I just need a model 1 Saturn...

A scope could definitely help things, but I think what's really needed is a logging logic analyzer... I'm not sure that's the correct term; I mean a device that could be hooked up to the relevant pins and set to sample on the rising or falling edge of the clock (or both) so that we could look at the communication that's happening on a more complete level.

I'm thinking of using the CRO to try and hunt down a signal point on a model 1 CD board.

I'm going to try to identify the signal that is used on a model 2 board by the mod and see if it's present anywhere on the model 1 CD board.

While this may be a crude method of investigation, even if I had a logging logic analyzer, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

The idea is that you hook the probes up to the pins you want to monitor, hook a special one up to the clock pin to drive the sampling. Then you "record" what happens on the bus, dump that data to a PC and use some kind of viewer to get a scope-like readout of the signal transitions...

I'm bidding on an oval buttoned Saturn.

What do you think the odds are it will be 21 pin?
wink.gif

Back