Action RPG's

Action RPG's

Hi,

As someone who loves Action RPG's (Zelda like) and 3D platformers (Mario64, Croc, Banjo etc) I am curious to try what the saturn has to offer.

I've done my homework and come up with four titles (was that all the action/RPG games for the saturn?)

In what order would you recommend getting the following?

Magic Knight RayEarth

Albert oddessy

Shining Wisdom

The Legend of Thor 2 (Legend of Oasis)

Are there anymore I should consider? If any of the above titles are seriously bad then I need to know as they are all pretty pricey.

Are there any good 3D platformers?

Cheers

Alex

P.S. I bought Shining Force III not knowing it was turn based, and Dark Savior, which looks good, but I cant stand the fixed camera after playing Mario64 etc. Panzer Dragoon (at least the demo disc) was fun upto the combat bits, which just slow the exploration down too much. I bought NiGHTs into Dreams, but again I cant get used to the camera, having played Mario64 etc. I need some other game for my Saturn before it goes back in the cupboard for another 5 years, and I start playing "Conkers bad fur day" on my N64.

Action RPG's

Forst off Albert ODyssey is a turned based RPG not an action RPG. Probably Magic KNight Rayearth is the best of them. Both Magic Knight Rayearth andf Shining Widsom play just like Zelda. I know some peopl don't like Shining Wisomd but I think it's pretty good. IF you played Beyond Oasis/Thor on the Genesis/Megadirve is plays pretty samilair. Legend of Oasis is much easirer and cheaper to get. YOu can also almost consider Virtual Hylide a action RPG but I wou;ldn't bother getting it.

Also there some import action/RPGs for the system.

Sorvice

River Linkle Story

Falcom Classics 1(has Xanadu, Ys 1, and Dragon Slayer 1)

Falcom Classics( has Ys 2 and asketa 2 or whatever it was called)

Mahoutsukai Ni naru Hohou

The only 3d platformer I somewhat liked was Willy Wombat althoguh it's worth mentioning i hate 3d platformers.

Action RPG's

I cant understand how you can prefer the camera in Mario 64 to the one in Nights and Panzer Dragoon. Maybe its just me but I hate the camera in Mario 64. Everytime the action heats up you have to stop to adjust the camera, and sometimes you walk into areas where you cant adjust the camera shich is very irritating. However, here is a list of good Saturn action-rpgs and 3d platformers :

Action Rpgs :

* Magic Knight RayEarth - Fun, cute and zeldaish. Chose from three caracters wich has different abilities

* Albert oddessy - Very good but short rpg, not action rpg, more FF like.

* Shining Wisdom - Zelda-like game set in the Shining Force universe. Good, but far from the other games in the series.

* The Legend of Thor 2 (Legend of Oasis) - Another fun action rpg. Has a uniqe fighting game like battle system.

* Dark Savior - Very good game! Wonderful paralell story system. Nice gfx.

* Guardian Heroes - Fantastic sidescrolling action-rpg with 6 player modes and amazing 2d gfx. From Treasure!

* Hercs Adventure - More action than rpg. Has a 2 player mode.

* The Hord - Different game, looks like Diablo, plays like nothing else. quite fun.

* Virtual Hydlide - Horrible, best to stay away from.

* Falcom Collection - I think there is an action-rpg in this collection.

* Princess Crown - Like Guardian Heroes

* Far East of Eden - Apocalypse IV - Fun game, different

* Baroque - Cool, different rpg with a cyberpunk style and nice artwork

* Puyo Puyo RPG - Strange rpg game, came as a puzzle game first

I know there are others, but I dont remember them right now.

As for 3d platform games :

* Burning Rangers - Very fun and innovative. Amazing graphics, beats almost all other 3d platform games with imagination and effects. A must get!

* Nights - Also very fun and innovative. Also amazing graphics and also beats almost all other 3d platform games. Unique worlds. There is nothing like it.

* Sonic R - 3d Platform / Racing, fantastic graphics, fun game. Differs from your usual kart clones.

* Sonic Jam - There is a 3d level in it, with some missions and some Sonic information. Looks superb.

* Croc - Fantastic game, like Mario 64 but with better cameras. Loads of secret levels.

* Tomb Raider - Ok game with ok gfx. Very long and hard.

* Ninja Penguin Manmaru - Cool 3d platform game. Like Croc.

* Pandemonium - Its made in 3d and the camera moves in 3d but the caracters move in 2d. Fun game with good graphics.

* Bug - Good but repetitive 3d platformer. Looks good.

* Bug Too - Much improved sequel. Fun game with good graphics.

* X-Mas Nights - Special version of Nights

* Die Hard Trilogy - Includes a 3d action platform game, but its not very good.

* Incredible Hulk - 3d platform game. its ok, nothing more, nothing less

* Sonic 3D Blast - In the gray zone. Not really 3d but quite fun. The special levels have some amazing gfx.

* Spot goes to hollywood - Also isometric, like Sonic 3D.

* Whizz - Like above

I know there are more ones, but I dont remember them right now either.

If you want a good rpg for Saturn though, I would say Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grandia. These are truly the best rpgs ever made. Beats Final Fantasy, Zelda, Dragon Warrior or whatever.

Action RPG's

personally, i'd put legend of oasis before shining wisdom. plus, it's usually more affordable. haven't played rayearth...

Action RPG's

That list is impressive, Daniel!
smile.gif

I wouldn't consider Guardian Heroes as an action-rpg... it's like Streets of Rage with funny dialogues and a good story -plus the multiple paths and so on. Dark Savior is a good game but it's difficult to get used to the control. Have in mind that Croc has cute graphics but it's not an easy game -not for kids, you know ;-)- because of its horrible control and... the cameras are as confusing as Mario 64's IMO. The action stages in Die Hard don't have many platforms
rolleyes.gif
you just shoot and shoot and shoot and then play some real game:

If you want a good rpg for Saturn though, I would say Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grandia. These are truly the best rpgs ever made

The only problem with Grandia is the language, -if you don't speak Japanese, of course
ph34r.gif

These are truly the best rpgs ever made

Yes, but don't tell anyone! To say the truth, Zelda 64 is in my Top Three, too.

Action RPG's

Yes, nothing bad about Zelda. Its truly a fantastic game. Grandia is a bit on the jap side, but you can always print out the text from a translation site or download an faq that tells the story.
smile.gif

Action RPG's

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Feb 13, 2003 @ 10:03 PM

Yes, nothing bad about Zelda. Its truly a fantastic game. Grandia is a bit on the jap side, but you can always print out the text from a translation site or download an faq that tells the story.
smile.gif

Or buy/rent the PSX version and play both at the same time... I know it's not the same, but it helps a lot
wink.gif

Action RPG's

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Feb 13, 2003 @ 12:25 AM

I cant understand how you can prefer the camera in Mario 64 to the one in Nights and Panzer Dragoon. Maybe its just me but I hate the camera in Mario 64. Everytime the action heats up you have to stop to adjust the camera, and sometimes you walk into areas where you cant adjust the camera shich is very irritating. However, here is a list of good Saturn action-rpgs and 3d platformers :

* Burning Rangers - Very fun and innovative. Amazing graphics, beats almost all other 3d platform games with imagination and effects. A must get!

* Croc - Fantastic game, like Mario 64 but with better cameras. Loads of secret levels.

* Ninja Penguin Manmaru - Cool 3d platform game. Like Croc.

In Mario at least you HAVE control over the camera, in say Dark Savior I am dying to rotate the camera round 90' (which you can do to a point) but you cant play with the camera rotated
sad.gif
In nights it just felt like I was playing a pseudo 2D game.

I have to say autotracking is better in Zelda/Banjo/Donkey etc. than Mario64.

I never said that the camera was bad in Panzer Dragoon, I just dont like the fighting bits... you dont see the opposition coming, and then you have to screw around for 5 mins in a battle you know you'll win unless you're stupid!

Croc is ok, but it's just a bit too erm... crap for want of a better word in the level design. I can say that coz I was working at Argonaut as a student when Croc was being done.

I would like to see burning rangers... but it goes for too much money.

Never seen the Penguin thing... must look out for it.

Later

Alex

Action RPG's

Yeah, Dark Saviors camera is a little iritating. When looking around its fine, but if you want it to stay when you continue to play, its impossible. However, the game is made with a 3/4 view in mind, so it works without problems almost everywhere.

What kind of game is Sorvice? I tried to find some info but I didnt found any. Do you have some screenshots?

Action RPG's

IMO, if he didn't like Croc, he won't like Manmaru. They are both similar and Croc is the best, so...

Also, there's a game called Ninja Jajamaru Kun or something like that (you might remember the old version), it's a funny game. Maybe too easy, though. :asleep

Action RPG's

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Feb 17, 2003 @ 12:56 AM

So Ninja Penguin Manmaru is the successor to Ninja Jajamaru Kun? Do you know of any other japanese only games like that?

No, they are different games, and Jajamaru is a real ninja (heh), not a penguin. I could post some pictures of Jajamaru, if you want to take a look at them.

Action RPG's

Actually ... the correct names are Ninja Jajamaru Kun-Gold, and Ninpen Manmaru. They're two different games from two different companies, although there are some similarities.
smile.gif
But neither is a sequel of the other...

Edit: Man, I hate it when someone butts in with a reply two minutes before I do
tongue.gif

Action RPG's

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb 17, 2003 @ 06:54 AM

Actually ... the correct names are Ninja Jajamaru Kun-Gold, and Ninpen Manmaru. They're two different games from two different companies, although there are some similarities.
smile.gif
But neither is a sequel of the other...

Edit: Man, I hate it when someone butts in with a reply two minutes before I do
tongue.gif

Didn't remember the "Gold" part, thank you
wink.gif
BTW, I hate those replies, too
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by CHAZumaru °_° @ Feb 17@ 2003 @ 12:55 PM

Good concept, level design and graphs ? In 3D ? On Saturn ? (With stupidass sequels on over platforms ?)

Tomb Raider ^^

It was a great game for the time, although it had HUNDREDS of bugs and the graphics could have been better (oh no, that pixel is going to kill me!). If you liked Prince of Persia, you had to like Tomb Raider There are many people who hate it, though.
huh.gif

-This is the first time I've quoted two people, hehe-

Action RPG's

The FIRST Tomb Raider was OK.

It's not the best example of level design, but the game was FAR less annoying and confusing than the sequels.

And the graphics... well, *technically*, they are good, since you have some big ass envronments, and everything is gouraud shaded, but *art* wise, things got ugly. The Tomb Raider textures suffer from the same problem most early Saturn games (and most Saturn 3D games in general, BTW) suffers: they are too sharp.

The Saturn has a wacky way of downsampling textures (it needs to downsample them when the polygon is too far away from the camera, because the texture's pixels end up being smaller than the screen's pixels, so it needs a texture with bigger pixels), that is innacurate and produces lotsa pixelization. So, if you have textures with aggresive color variations (pixel-sharp details), it's hard to control which detail is removed when downsampling, then it looks butt-ugly.

If the textures are blurred, the problem pretty much vanishes. You can see that in Shining Force 3, as example. Most textures don't have sharp details, and look smoothed when viewed up-close, so when they are downsampled, they will not look much different from their full sized versions, thus not turning the screen into a sea of flickering random coloured pixels, what Tomb Raider is.

And using Mario 64 camera on Nights would RUIN the game. Is it that hard to notice that the game's controls in fly mode ARE 2D? Can you picture how retarted and boring the gameplay would be if you had to stop and adjust the camera on every corner? They would be sacrificing the gameplay and tight controls in favor of the so-called "pseudo-freedom" some gamers are obessed with.

Action RPG's

Originally posted by M3d10n@Feb 17, 2003 @ 09:13 PM

The FIRST Tomb Raider was OK.

It's not the best example of level design, but the game was FAR less annoying and confusing than the sequels.I hate the sequels

:agree I hate the sequels, too. All of them.

Action RPG's

You'll find more picture of Ninja Jajamaru here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/videogamesanime/njs.html

I was really disapointed when I had this game, I thought it was as good as Ninpen Manmaru but it has many clipping bugs and you can't move like you want. I mean that your ninja can move back but without seeing what is behind you ...

PS : I have a game called "Pup Breeder" a 3D game but I'm not sure it can be added in the 3D platform game list. In fact I never played it.

Pup%20Breeder.jpg

Back