Best way to rip saturn games

The TOSEC method should be better in theory. It's possible that it could create layout issues with some software but it's definitely more likely to produce accurate audio rips. It will also be more time-consuming as EAC's ripping method is slower than just blindly dumping the sectors (which is pretty much what CDRWin does with audio).

well i've started ripping my collection (got about 50 games done so far) and i noticed segaxtreme's guide says to rip with RAW off, and darkwater with RAW on, and racketboy with RAW off as well.

Any info on which is better and why?

I don't know of any benefit to ripping in raw mode for Saturn games, and it makes your data track less compressible (though Neill Corlett wrote a tool to deal with that problem). Basically you're ripping error correction data that would be regenerated by the burning program or burner anyway; the only time it really does any good to rip it is if it's used as some element of a nonstandard format or copy protection scheme. If you're really anal about getting as "exact" an image as possible, you can go ahead and do raw, but I don't think there's any documented case of a Saturn game using nonstandard data in that area.

The Tosec guide is nice but they should put more emphasis on getting the correct read offset for your drive. Even a simple link to Accuraterip would be nice.

edit: and by the way, I'm not sure if its possible to burn back the accurately ripped EAC cuesheet. EAC does not support binaries, other applications do not support EAC cuesheets.

some games that i own, for some reason when i would rip to bin/cue the bgm would always either delay or start off before the page even loads. iso/mp3 has been my way although Nights Into Dreams works perfect when ripped bin/cue.

Back