"Crack the SEGA Saturn copy protection" contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Vexatious with his previous tries, he could give the data he managed to extract, Drenholm please ask him again :)

Hey vbt,

No worries - I have sent him a private message asking him just that. :)

Let's hope that he can help out. It seems that at the moment, people are getting closer to understanding the code than has ever been done!

:party

Originally posted by Drenholm@Sun, 2005-04-03 @ 11:07 AM

Hey vbt,

No worries - I have sent him a private message asking him just that. :)

Let's hope that he can help out. It seems that at the moment, people are getting closer to understanding the code than has ever been done!

:party

[post=132475]Quoted post[/post]​

We know its a repeating code, its just to know if its possible to burn with a current CD/DVD writer. Lets hope the code is a standard format and not an non stanadard format like the Atari Jag. Well being able to read it back is a good sign, it could be that all sega did was make a disc with 2 sessions. 1 in the Toc and 1 not included in the toc.

A second person has been able to rip the saturns outer security track with truemans tool and with the disc swap method, hopefully this data will be released soon.

Originally posted by Drenholm@Mon, 2005-04-04 @ 07:37 PM

I'll say it again - Pinchy is the man.  :cool:

[post=132561]Quoted post[/post]​

The track definetly has an intresting pattern to it when looking through a hex editor, im looking at the file now that pinchy sent me, its just figuring out how to burn it in the correct way.

Originally posted by Quakester2000@Tue, 2005-04-05 @ 09:19 AM

im looking at the file now that pinchy sent me
[post=132574]Quoted post[/post]​

Why not post it here so others can have a look as well?

There are now two dumps of the file one by Kortex who dumped with CDRWIN and one by Pinchy who used trumemans tools. Anyway thanks to dremholm you can get teh files

Go to gmail.com and enter the following details:

User name: drenholm.uploads

Password: Drenholm

RING_data.zip = Pinchy's main ring data read, not sure what format (says raw)

ring_data_sub.zip = Pinchy's subchannel data read, not sure if interleaved

Those files belong to each other and were dumped with trumans tool you can get Trumans tool http://www.cdtool.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

----------------------------

CDRWIN Kortex Dump is also in the account (ktx_saturn.rar) you can get CDRWIN from http://www.goldenhawk.com/cdrwin.htm

He has dumped it in all major formats that cdrwin allows you to do it in but its unkown what type saturn security ring actual format is.

---------------------------

It seems it may be possible extract the security track without disc swapping it involves extracting the sectors with cdrwin but it may be drive dependent. With CDRWIN extract sectors - start lba is 297633 and the final lba is 328350 this may be able to rip the protection ring depending on drive.

Heres a dump i did without Disc swapping via CDRWIN extract sectors it sure looks different to Kortex's, it looks more like pinchys.

----------------------------------

Seems there was an error trying to attach the file = The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.

Heh, Gmail is gooood... :D

Not what I used, but pretty cheeky nonetheless: http://www.viksoe.dk/gmail/

But what's going on with this is better. It's pretty amazing how much has been found out recently!

I'm going to try CDRWIN out, but the drives I have access to really aren't all that great. I'm thinking of getting a Plextor Premium eventually, but knowing my rate of income the protection will (hopefully!) be cracked by then. :D

Edit: Waiting for your data, Quakester2000! ;)

My data was ripped with a BenQ 1620 it woudlnt work when i selected Mode 1 2048 (thats where the cd/dvd drive creates the subcode data) But would rip when i selected Mode 1 Raw (2352) the subcode data and everything is ripped.

Another thing i noticed is that the drive didnt always rip the data it seemed i had to try a couple of times. Anyway i have uploaded my rip to the GMAIL account.

Great work has been done. Bravo!

But, I have a question about these dumps : are we sure they are really good dumps from the ring and not just random replicated data due to strange answer from the cd drive or software when we try to read something unreadable ?

Also, are the guys who dump these files try several saturn cds to see if they got the same data ?

For info, I can't rip anything with cdrwin with my Sony DVD reader & Pioneer 106 DVD burner. Maybe, I will try with my other computers.

Originally posted by Madroms@Thu, 2005-04-07 @ 12:49 PM

Great work has been done. Bravo!

But, I have a question about these dumps : are we sure they are really good dumps from the ring and not just random replicated data due to strange answer from the cd drive or software when we try to read something unreadable ?

Also, are the guys who dump these files try several saturn cds to see if they got the same data ?

For info, I can't rip anything with cdrwin with my Sony DVD reader & Pioneer 106 DVD burner. Maybe, I will try with my other computers.

[post=132606]Quoted post[/post]​

Seems drive dependent if you can read outside the TOC table. Disc swapping maybe only answer to do it properly but we really need some experts of CD reading writing seeing what they can do.

Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B can't read anything

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D can't read anything either.

You either have to disk swap, or trick the drive in some way to read outside the TOC (which it does not do without a diskswap, as far as I know.)

edit: Asus CD-S520/A can't read anything either.

Guess we're stuck with the disc swap, then! Ah well. However, I wonder what was so special about Quakester2000's drive which allowed it to read outside the TOC without outside help?

This is presuming I understand a post he made at CD Freaks correctly. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back