"Crack the SEGA Saturn copy protection" contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did some fast tries.

1) loading the GFS lib from the IP.bin and then call the FLD lib from it

=> failed : the security check is done

2)sending a binary from the PAR with a mixed mode CD inside the saturn (with no IP.BIN).

=> All files can be read

=> when loading an IP.BIN on the CD it displays the sega logo with apparently no security check but get garbage or returns to the bios and the CD is taken as a audio CD

=> when loading an IP.BIN on a Sega demo CD it displays the sega logo then disapear and get black screen or garbage.

Originally posted by vbt@Sun, 2005-03-06 @ 02:11 PM

I just did some fast tries.

2)sending a binary from the PAR with a mixed mode CD inside the saturn (with no IP.BIN).

=> All files can be read

[post=131006]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry, I doubt that. I tried that too, loading binaries from PC via PAR to Saturn,

but my experience was that CD access is only possible when CdUnlock() is called.

Anyways, I think the Modchip is only necessary to get commercial games CD-R to run.

The chip seems to fake the communication between Saturn and it's CD block.

An unlock request from Saturn isn't executed in CD block.

Does the unlock request come from the BIOS? If so, we may would need to replace the bios with a modified one.

Otherwise there must be a software trick to avoid the CD unlocking.

Looking through the CDC or GFS lib code may give an answer.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sun, 2005-03-06 @ 06:04 PM

Sorry, I doubt that. I tried that too, loading binaries from PC via PAR to Saturn,

but my experience was that CD access is only possible when CdUnlock() is called.

Yep I used CdUnlock :)

Looking through the CDC or GFS lib code may give an answer.

[post=131007]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm playing with the GFS, I noticed when there is an IP on the CD I loose access to the files even if I call cdUnlock, GFS_INIT fails when calling gfs_loadRootDir

the disc must pass the security check before it can even access any cd block commands. here's a dumb idea: why not write a small app (on a cdr) that is able to read the information from the cd drive and have it uploaded using the par to the computer? this will have to be done by a modded saturn :) i don't know if this is possible.

why not write a small app (on a cdr) that is able to read the information from the cd drive and have it uploaded using the par to the computer?

What information? If you mean the security signature, I've seen no reason to believe that it can actually be retrieved by any method visible to the SH-2, unless we stumble on some hidden CD block debug mode...

Originally posted by Piratero@Sun, 2005-03-06 @ 09:12 PM

the disc must pass the security check before it can even access any cd block commands. here's a dumb idea: why not write a small app (on a cdr) that is able to read the information from the cd drive and have it uploaded using the par to the computer? this will have to be done by a modded saturn :) i don't know if this is possible.

[post=131012]Quoted post[/post]​

Even if someone could write a piece of software for the saturn that would dump the whole cd via par onto a PC then we would find out if the outside can be read or not. Or if they knew the sectors to dump they could try that see if any data is dumped.

This is vary interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing some unreleased games surface.

I believe there is a HK Saturn cart that as well as being a 4 in 1, also has a Mahjong game on it. So, surely it is possible to boot code from the Cart port? Would it not then be possible to boot an app from Cart that basically contains swap-disk code from a multidisk game. So you boot the Saturn, it reads the app from the cart and you get presented with a ' Please Insert Disk' screen?

The only downside to all this - if selfboot games are made, how long before the first professionally made pirate copies of Radiant Silvergun, Taromaru, Panzer Saga etc. start to show up on Ebay????

HI,

This task has been completed by myself.

I managed to beat the machine and it took me ages.

I have run over 50 games including radinat silver gun.

Modchips are a pain to install and i gave up on them.

My method works by using a boot cd /swap trick only once - this lasts untill the machine is turned off.

I guarantee that i have got this to work fully. :lol:

Even after pressing reset the machine will still play what you want it to.

I believe i cracked the sega saturn.

I also have 2 very very very rare items - i got them from the HQ.

Lets just say that last one sold for $500+. :yum

I can help you out with original question though,Just email me and i can get back to you with info.

Ian. :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Curtis@Sun, 2005-02-27 @ 12:27 AM

Well if it is the case, it'll kill off any hope of replicating the copy protection at the CD level. No burner will ever be able to replicate this - not unless you can physically rotate the laser assembly.

[post=130590]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly right - the saturn is not made to read holographic images liek the outer ring,It would cost to much money.

I mastered the machine and got round all the fundementals.

My methos DOES work untill you turn the machine off.

Once done it lasts and reset can still be pressed and the system will still load your own bakedd collection.

When i cracked the system i had to go for a long walk beacuse i couldnt belive my eyes,It was better than any other mod i have done to date.

Radiant silver for peanuts - you betcha....... :yum

$ is nice but i always like to help game fanaticks world wide.

I believe the best period in video games was when the Megadrive/Pc engine/Saturn where released.

It was such an exiting time. :smokin:

Enough of my ramblings :hehehe:

If you want info i can be contacted and help you out.

My method works flawlessly.

With the security ring it is not worth trying to reproduce this by means of overburning and cutting lathes etc.

With the right item you can easily get the machine to do exactly what you want it to do.

Radiant silver gun etc.

Sega made a real effort when making this machine,But all jiants fall someday :eek:wned

I like heliping gamers like on this forum.

:banana

Thanks for message.

Honestly,This works.

Boot cd.

For 64 pin machines.

over 35 titles worked.

I know how flustrating this machine was,I made it a mishion to get around it.

It gave me sleepless nights.

Got there in the end though.

I was also looking at getting the machine to play on a pc monitor which would rock :cool:

Radiant silver gun in svga - oooohhh yeesss - ,

Thanks for post. :)

:thumbs-up: The boot disk is programmer disk.

Words " completed appear on screen" at Sega title page.

Boots can be backed up aswell ......................

I think programmers disk flashes bios chip in Saturn untill power is turned off.

I originally had 40 Saturns which i bought as spares.

I stripped most of them to bits to see how this machine works

Hi Pirato,

I tried to email you but looks like no luck,Sorry.

Shure,Will give as much info as i can dudes. :thumbs-up:

Sega made 2 programmers disks for snk and also third party software.

They have been on the net before but sell for large amounts of money.

would you believe i also have some sega saturn blank cds.

yes,Thast right -Blank sega sat disks.

I only have 2 of them and they are blank accept for that secutity ring.

This boot process is very easy to do once yoo know which machine it was built for (64 pin) and how the assembly works.

1.Stick boot disk in

2.Swap with original when looking for ring

3.Put boot back in and hey presto - completed appears.

The first time i tried just "disk swapping" with radiant silver gun it was very tricky.

I have the original and it almost worked,

With the boot cd it seems to do the whole job a lot smoother with no flaws what so ever.

then you can enjoy using your own cdr untill the machine is turned of.

please give us all the info you can. i'm sure Mr. saturn will send you the money if a lot of people (10+ maybe?) can get it to work on all saturns.

As for modding the machine you do not need to use solder :blink:

When making the machine full screen just join the jumpers up with a standard HB pencil.

Also when making the machine run in a single teritory just cut the tracks and join up the jumper with a HB pencil again.

Just etch the tracks together with the end of the pencil.

Solder free :smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back