Dracula X Extended mod patch by paul_met

Mr^Burns

Staff member
6184titlescreen.png

Description:​

First of all, this is not a translation. But some elements had to be translated into English for some reason.

Main features:
  • Restoration of translucency of many objects;
  • English translation of some elements;
  • Direct access to the global map;
  • Finalization of the global map;
  • Restoration of the original proportions of some sprites;
  • Removing horizontal black bars of the screen;
  • Skipping videos and dialogues;
  • Access to Richter’s alternate costume;
  • Reduced loading time;
  • Support for 4MB expansion card;
  • Bug fixes;
More details you can found in the readme file.

Update in version 1.1
  • Fixed a palette of haze around the artifact;
  • Blocked entry to the pause menu from the map;
Download: Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight - Extended

Last edited:
I need to go over this patch some more. I may be able to provide Paul with text only changes if he wants.

Some of his changes overlap with mine. Others I have different intentions for. (Like accessing the map, I am looking to overlay it like the PSX does instead of just jumping to the given menu map)

There's also some bits that probably need a bit more thought put into them. While some of the transparencies are nice, others are a bit odd or have unintended side-effects. For example the fire burning the picture in the prologue has palette errors where it's green instead of black now which looks odd to say the least.

No need for You to lie. The fonts used in the menu were your doing
Well I would love to take that as a compliment because it is really neat 8x16 font, but unfortunately I cannot take credit for that Dracula X font. That was the creation of Konami as far as I know, but they could have licensed it from somebody else.

There's also some bits that probably need a bit more thought put into them. While some of the transparencies are nice, others are a bit odd or have unintended side-effects. For example the fire burning the picture in the prologue has palette errors where it's green instead of black now which looks odd to say the least.
Yeah that is true, but this is at least a huge step up from YZB's implementation of the 4MB patch.

It would be Paul Met, and I have no problem with working with him or swapping/sharing information and code. The more options people get, the better.
Whoops I thought it was Mr Burns that posted it - sorry about that hehe

Definitely! I'm happy to donate another coffee or two for this project!

For example the fire burning the picture in the prologue has palette errors where it's green instead of black now which looks odd to say the least.
This was fixed in the patch v1.2.

I need to go over this patch some more. I may be able to provide Paul with text only changes if he wants.

Some of his changes overlap with mine. Others I have different intentions for. (Like accessing the map, I am looking to overlay it like the PSX does instead of just jumping to the given menu map)
I'm afraid that this will not work with the current implementation of the map. The global map data is loaded into VDP1 memory, but before that, the current data is cached in the buffer so that the map data does not overwrite it. It is likely that this was done due to the lack of VDP1 memory, otherwise the developers did not need to cache the data and call the map separately (without overlapping on the current screen). In the PS1 version, the global map data is initially loaded into video memory and remains there throughout the game. The PS1 video memory is sufficient, as it is not divided into parts, as it is done in Saturn.

This was fixed in the patch v1.2.

I'm afraid that this will not work with the current implementation of the map. The global map data is loaded into VDP1 memory, but before that, the current data is cached in the buffer so that the map data does not overwrite it. It is likely that this was done due to the lack of VDP1 memory, otherwise the developers did not need to cache the data and call the map separately (without overlapping on the current screen). In the PS1 version, the global map data is initially loaded into video memory and remains there throughout the game. The PS1 video memory is sufficient, as it is not divided into parts, as it is done in Saturn.

OMG its a revelation being able to get straight to the map, thank you!

I noticed a couple of bugs, if you are taking reports.

A few graphic bugs in certain areas, like when lightening strikes at the top of the screen here:

This enemy colour isnt right:

Is there another button that the map could be assigned to? What is the L button used for now? Could that be used instead?

Thanks again!

After playing it a while, I really don't like the expanded screen because it breaks some rooms visuals (you can see the bg at the top of a room). Also I don't like the artwork change on the character selection screen, looks really out of place and a bit amateurish. And the alternate outfit Richter at the Bloodlines stage does not make sense since that was 5 years ago in the Rondo game, not in the game present day.

Everything else is really good and welcome.

Back