Flash Cart for Genesis

I wish they made an NES flash cart...

That would be a massive pain in the ass. It can be done, but it might not be cheap and the amount of design work needed to get good compatibility would be sick.

don't email, use icq.

not sure if their mail address is fucked or what, but mails usually don't get responses.. icq is different, I had no probs getting to talk to one of their guys there. just remember the time diff.

Thanks for the tip Arakon, i´ll try ICQ
smile.gif

Edit:

You were right Arakon. I contacted them through MSN, and theres this guy Tomy, he is very polite. I already made my order.

One question: can i use a regular parallel cable ? or is it a special one? and what about the USB cable? Thanks!

Arakon and Edge:

Thanks. I already own a parallel GBA flash linker so i guess i can use that same LPT cable right?

I have one question ...how can i know if my USB ports have 5 V output???

Thanks!

Very nice piece of kit. i'll add it to the extensivly long shopping list of things to get when i finally get a decent job

Originally posted by Alexvrb+Jun 10, 2003 @ 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexvrb @ Jun 10, 2003 @ 07:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-suppafly2k@Jun 10, 2003 @ 08:13 AM

I have one question ...how can i know if my USB ports have 5 V output???

They do. [/b][/quote]

"they do." = the ports know ?

(meaning, the ports have a secret: they know their voltage, but they aren't telling you)

"they do." = the ports are 5 V ?

(alex is psychic. by looking closely at suppa's avatar, he deduced the ports on his computer are 5 volt)

"they do." = Totek knows whether or not the ports are 5 volts ?

(by shipping your CPU to Totek in Hong Kong, they will determine whether or not it is compatible)

I am so confused... :huh

hehe

he probably meant that most USB ports are 5 v.

I will ask the guys from tototek anyway, and let you know the answer too!

My avatar rocks!

I just got my cart in today. SUPER FAST shipping to the US. They were cool about writing "Toys" and a lower price for the value so the item went through customs without trouble (USD$15 is what they wrote for me where in truth it was much more than that hehe). The package came in a brown soft shipping bag. Both the interface board and the flash cart with wrapped in bubble wrap. I would def. reccoment getting the plastic cover on just to assist with protecting the cart with shipping as the brown bag and bubblewrap may not do the best to protect the flash cart from all of the travels it may have.

Hooked the card up, works great. Utilities work well, and are avail. from their website. The onboard Game-Genie/AR is pretty nifty also.Tech support is wonderful through ICQ, overall I'd give the entire transaction and product an A+.

Edit:

Now if we could only write a little app to copy the games off of real carts
biggrin.gif
. It looks like the interface card iis just that, looks like it has power and a direct pin to pin link from the cable to the cart. I wonder if you would be able to pull information off (removing the USB power source of coarse) to make .bin's of actual games. That would be neat
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by suppafly2k@Jun 11, 2003 @ 06:56 AM

he probably meant that most USB ports are 5 v.

USB hub ports supply 5 volts, it's what the standard defines.

I ordered the 7th (Which is a Sat.). I went with EMS as I've had great luck with them before, and it will come through regular postal mail (Express even) once it gets past customs (here in the United States).

Now if we could only write a little app to copy the games off of real carts . It looks like the interface card iis just that, looks like it has power and a direct pin to pin link from the cable to the cart.

The actual interface logic is on the cart, so software isn't the problem. I'd be interested in knowing how many people would like an add-on (wild-guessing it I'd say priced at $10-15) that would allow dumping carts. To avoid cluttering the thread, it's probably a better idea to just PM me about this unless you were going to post about something else anyhow.

USB hub ports supply 5 volts, it's what the standard defines.

There's a warning in red on the Tototek site saying to make sure that your USB port is 5v; my guess is that some cheap powered hubs output an unregulated 6V or some similar ridiculousness...

the output voltage of usb ports can vary, i.e. one of my PCs only outputs like 4.75 V, others might output too much and damage the cart. a quick check with a multimeter will confirm it, but generally the USB voltage will be ok.

if you want to be 100% safe.. the PS2 USB ports output a clean 5.01 V.

@ex: I'd definately be interested in an addon. there's a total of 12 lines connected from printer port over a resistor each to the slot, and at least 2 more connected straight from printer port to slot.

Ok, Here is a Question for those who have it:

When you have one rom on the cart, does it still boot up to a menu screen as it would for mutliple roms?

Or can it go directly to the program and mimic an original cart?

Originally posted by Edge-`@Jun 11, 2003 @ 06:49 PM

I ordered the 7th (Which is a Sat.). I went with EMS as I've had great luck with them before, and it will come through regular postal mail (Express even) once it gets past customs (here in the United States).

ems always beats the shit out of whatever i order. i despise both them and the USPS.

Back