Flash Cart for Genesis

Originally posted by Arakon@Jun 12, 2003 @ 10:58 PM

if only one game without region hack and cheats is uploaded, it'll go straight into the game.

arakon...

Let me just take this moment to say, "i love you man!".

This is on behalf of all the sega freaks trying to catch up with the pioneers. Not just for bringing the good news but for knowing all your stuff!

now, if I could kindly guide your attention to another neophyte question:

http://www.litespeedcomputers.com/sx/forum...=ST&f=10&t=9215

Arakon: Could you possible point me to Steve Snakes NBA Jam patch
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jeff-20@Jun 11, 2003 @ 04:49 AM

(alex is psychic. by looking closely at suppa's avatar, he deduced the ports on his computer are 5 volt)

Close enough.

no clue where that patch is, but it will NOT let you play the game on the cart.. eeprom save just isn't compatible with it.

OK. I've got the cart and I have V1.5 of the software. Arakon said earlier that if he puts the roms on smallest first, he has the best luck with the games.

What problems have you had? Does the software hang during writing?

I have written a bunch fine and some not so fine. Maybe I have some bad roms?
ph34r.gif

Anybody have any fast and easy rules to follow??
cool.gif

I've had no issues with mine as of yet with the lastest software. Make sure you have your port set correctly. I'm running Windows 2K Pro with all patches in case you are curious. I've written probably 100 games on and off total hehe. Only games I have issues with are the ones with nvram storage, which as explained earlier is not compadible with this flash cart.

Well, I guess I will have to look into the port settings.

But here is what happens to me. Sometimes it hangs during a write. Maybe

on the first game, maybe on the third, no set order. And since I read Arakon's

post, I have made sure to put the smallest games on the cart first. It happens

randomly. It doesn't seem to happen when I take turbo write off.

However, just because the game writes to the cart, doesn't mean it'll load.

Maybe these games are NVRam games. Anybody have a list of games that

are?

And on that note, anybody want to make a list of games that use the save

game feature?

all games should write, bad rom ot not.. it'll write anything.

wonderboy 5, nba jam te are some of the more popular eeprom games.

Sometimes it hangs during a write. Maybe on the first game, maybe on the third, no set order. And since I read Arakon's post, I have made sure to put the smallest games on the cart first. It happens

randomly. It doesn't seem to happen when I take turbo write off.

This sounds like one of the following:

- Your parallel cable is too long

- Your USB port provides a crappy power supply

- The programmer slot or cart edge is dirty

Well, the problems might be software-caused instead of hardware related.

I use Windows XP, and have the dreamwrite 1.5, and the programs freezes up the FIRST time i try to flash. I press CTR-ALT-DEL and close it. I reopen it and it works like a charm!

My personal opinion is that the flashing software need a lot of improvement. The flash cart itself is excellent once its been flashed correctly

smile.gif

Well, I first tried 1.5 and then went to 1.4 after the freezing started happening.

I think my cable may be too long. What length do you guys recommend?

the cable shouldn't be longer than 5 ft. also, try a different pc if possible, and check the usb voltage with a multimeter.

Okay, I just found this the other night, and this appears to be just the thing I was looking for! Sweet!

I looked at the Tototek site, and noticed that there were at least three very similar looking Flash carts for sale, ranging from $70 - 115.

All I want to do is take ROMs that I already have on my computer, dump them to a cart, and play them on my Sega Nomad.

Can I do this with the $70 card?

Thanks!

Yes, the $70 cart will work for pretty much all Genesis games. Really the only games supported on the 64M one that don't work on the 32M one are SF2 and 32X games.

edit: blah, meant to say SSF2, as in Super Street Fighter 2. Special Champion Edition is just a normal ROM.

Yeah, I have hard copies of both of those games. One of the more interesting ROMs I want to try out on an actual Genesis / Nomad is the MegaMan game, The Wily Wars. I don't think an American hard copy was ever released, it was on the Sega Channel only, right?

Speaking of that, it's a *.smd file. Can I just drag and drop this onto the card, or does it need to be converted to a *.bin file? I can do that too, I just haven't seen many write ups on this card until a day or so ago. I wasn't even sure this kind of thing existed for Genesis, what a plesant surprise!

Thanks again!

I've only ever seen it on Sega Channel. I haven't looked at it close enough to know for sure, but the send software for the cart can probably decode SMD. Incidentally, that game is region protected; you may want to use this (which probably requires that it be in .BIN format; it's been too long since I made it to recall) if you have an unhacked copy:

Attachments

• WILYWARS.IPS
    28 bytes · Views: 94
  • WILYWARS.IPS
    28 bytes · Views: 90
  • WILYWARS.IPS
    28 bytes · Views: 101
Just got the cart about an hour ago - shipping was amazingly fast. Problem though.

I connect the thing, I know the voltage in the USB port is 5V exactly, and the parallel port and cable work. But the card cannot be found.

Any ideas?

I'm running XP.

is the cable the right one (1:1), is your printer port set to EPP, and did you plug the cart in the right way? plugging it in the wrong way will destroy the controller.

Back