Funny PS2 DVD Playback Ad.

Ok got a bit off track here. I don't think that the original intention was with the image or audio quality that the PS2 outputs. It was with the fact that it has trouble with certain DVD spec features. There are DVD's out there that play fine on standalone players that die on the PS2. Not all the time but with certain features in use. (Of course the oposite is true as well for some of the less than great DVD players)

Incidentally the 7000 series Sony DVD players are what are known as DVD spec players. Them along with the first model Pioneer players are used by all the major DVD producers to test on and make sure that any DVD's they make will be to DVD spec. I am lucky enough to own a consumer version of the original 7000 series player. Which means that I have yet to actually ever have a SINGLE glitch with any DVD I have played. Nice bonus for me I'd say. 🙂

Originally posted by Des-ROW+May 25, 2004 @ 07:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ May 25, 2004 @ 07:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Zero 9@May 25, 2004 @ 07:21 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-mal
@May 25, 2004 @ 06:54 PM

Is this really worth arguing about? :blink:
:agree

I agree, some people are just stubborn.

Zero 9, please tell me that the Dreamcats is more powerful than the PlayStation2, I need something to laugh about.
[/b][/quote]

Why would I do that when the PS2 is more "powerful" in most ways? It really depends on what you mean by powerful. You could call the Dreamcast more powerful if you meant that it is easy to create software for, has a much more developed homebrew scene, and had online capabilities out of the box.

The PS2 has decent DVD playing capabilities if not completely respectable by todays standards. The functionality is probably good for people who would otherwise not buy a dvd player or very occasional movie viewer, anyone else is probably better off buying a more compatible player (they're inexpensive these days) unless they don't have problems with the movies they want to watch.

Originally posted by Zero 9@May 25, 2004 @ 09:50 PM

Why would I do that when the PS2 is more "powerful" in most ways? It really depends on what you mean by powerful. You could call the Dreamcast more powerful if you meant that it is easy to create software for, has a much more developed homebrew scene, and had online capabilities out of the box.

The PS2 has decent DVD playing capabilities if not completely respectable by todays standards. The functionality is probably good for people who would otherwise not buy a dvd player or very occasional movie viewer, anyone else is probably better off buying a more compatible player (they're inexpensive these days) unless they don't have problems with the movies they want to watch.

*hugs and kisses Zero 9*

All ok ok now ^,^

Originally posted by Des-ROW@May 25, 2004 @ 11:05 PM

And, something more for me to add, comparing a system that was released in 2000, with current DVD players is something to really laugh about.

*shrugs* I believe I'm the only one who mentioned it, and I wasn't arguing about anything. I only mentioned it as an aside, sometimes I like to throw in a couple of pennies. I even said that it did NOT look like crap, only that it isn't quite as good as a standalone unit. I'm not bashing it, and I'm not comparing it to 2004 DVD players.

Originally posted by Des-ROW+May 25, 2004 @ 10:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ May 25, 2004 @ 10:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dyne@May 25, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

you know you can adjust the edging in the options as well dont you Des?

No, never checked that. [/b][/quote]

if you're not using the remote press select while watching a movie. in the "screen setup" option you should have DNR (digital noise reduction) and Outline Sharpening options. Noise Reduction does just that, while lowering Outline Sharpening should slightly "blur" the edges. ive gone from -2 to +2 while watching a movie and you can really notice it (moreso when using a component setup).

Originally posted by Dyne+May 25, 2004 @ 11:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dyne @ May 25, 2004 @ 11:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Des-ROW@May 25, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Dyne
@May 25, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

you know you can adjust the edging in the options as well dont you Des?

No, never checked that.

if you're not using the remote press select while watching a movie. in the "screen setup" option you should have DNR (digital noise reduction) and Outline Sharpening options. Noise Reduction does just that, while lowering Outline Sharpening should slightly "blur" the edges. ive gone from -2 to +2 while watching a movie and you can really notice it (moreso when using a component setup). [/b][/quote]

Thank you very much for the information! ^^!

no prob. dont forget about the master volume i mentioned earlier if you're having any issues with that as well.

was this just locked....and then unlocked? :huh

The only problem I have with the PS2 DVD playback is that the seek speed/control is a bit naff. Also, compared to my DVD player it seems to show artifacts slightly more often in bright red areas, but that could just be an issue with the way the PS2 outputs composite, and not the DVD playback itself.

As for the volume thing, that is indeed cool info. Too bad it only applies to the PS2, I've had that issue with a lot of DVD hardware and it seems the only fix is to crank the volume way up (inevitably, I forget to turn it down and get my ears blasted the next time I play a VHS tape, turn on a game, or whatever).

Originally posted by it290@May 26, 2004 @ 03:13 PM

As for the volume thing, that is indeed cool info. Too bad it only applies to the PS2, I've had that issue with a lot of DVD hardware and it seems the only fix is to crank the volume way up (inevitably, I forget to turn it down and get my ears blasted the next time I play a VHS tape, turn on a game, or whatever).

I think that may be more of a function of your cable provider and/or their equipment. My digital cable box has an independent volume from 0-30 that defaults to 25. Cranking that down to 15-20 has roughly equalized the volume between various devices, except consoles. All of my consoles seem to do their own thing. Saturn is loud, Xbox is quiet, Genesis/Sega CD/32X falls in the middle, etc. So I don't get "blasted" anymore, but I do have to adjust volume, which is where remote control comes in handy.

I will note that now and again they will play a movie on a digital channel and the volume will be REALLY low, so I get a faint buzzing as a result of having to pretty much max the volume.

Anyone notice that certain DVD's said Playstation2 compatible on them?

Did sony even know that the PS2 would not be 100% compatible with some DVD's?

A bunch of first-generation DVD players had compatibility problems. PS2's problems are nothing compared to Toshiba's early problems, for example. The DVD standards are quite complex, and not everyone implemented them in exactly the same way. Once things broke, however, everyone got together and mostly straightened it out, though there are still some problems with little-used features and combinations of features. Incidentally, I've seen some compatibility issues on the Xbox DVD player too. DVDs that said "PS2-compatible" were probably from someone cutting a deal with Sony Computer Entertainment to promote PS2's DVD playback feature to casual buyers.

I think that may be more of a function of your cable provider and/or their equipment. My digital cable box has an independent volume from 0-30 that defaults to 25. Cranking that down to 15-20 has roughly equalized the volume between various devices, except consoles. All of my consoles seem to do their own thing. Saturn is loud, Xbox is quiet, Genesis/Sega CD/32X falls in the middle, etc. So I don't get "blasted" anymore, but I do have to adjust volume, which is where remote control comes in handy.

Eh, nope, I don't have cable. My consoles all seem to be roughly the same; the cube is a little quiet, maybe. The over the air TV is a little loud though.

Actually, when I turn my PC onto TV-out (and switch the audio output over), it's quite loud when playing games (either PC games or emulated), but DVDs are still quite low volume. AVI files ripped from DVDs are generally normal, though; go figure. Maybe it has something to do with the surround encoding or something, I dunno.

Originally posted by it290@May 30, 2004 @ 05:49 PM

Actually, when I turn my PC onto TV-out (and switch the audio output over), it's quite loud when playing games (either PC games or emulated), but DVDs are still quite low volume. AVI files ripped from DVDs are generally normal, though; go figure. Maybe it has something to do with the surround encoding or something, I dunno.

This sounds normal to me, sucky, but typical. A lot of times, the encoding software has volume adjustment. But DVD playback programs don't seem to do anything with the volume, at least none of the ones I've used. I don't really care though, since I playback DVDs on a standalone player, and only generally pop them in my computer to rip them.

Since you don't use cable, there's not much you can do for the volume but make sure you adjust it before switching over.

The PlayStation 2 compatible DVD's are old laserdisc games that were converted and put on DVD (Dragons Lair, Space Ace, etc). They are really compatible with all DVD players (since they just use the remote buttons) but to get the extra sales they but PlayStation 2 and sometimes Xbox on there too.

Back